Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shit hitting the fan like what ?

Irish or other UN troops being specifically targeted?
    Coming under direct or indirect fire?
    A Lebanese civil war?
    An Israeli invasion?

All those things have happened

Isn't the newer mandate more forceful?

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
      If I remember did we do something similar in East timor using Australian landing craft.??????
      Can't remember if the Irish were with us, but we sailed from Darwin to Suai on the HMAS Tobruk, an Australian landing ship. We then used both landing crafts and helicopters to reach the shore.
      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
        There is lots of different possibilities, and there is no single plan which could cover them all. Any fantasies of a Dunkirk like extraction are realistically just that.
        I don't think I've been on a deployment where there was not an evacuation plan; not having one is dangerous and irresponsible.
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Irish soldiers awarded peace medals in Lebanon

Pte Laura Harris receives her United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) medal

THE chief of staff of the Defence Forces, Lieutenant General Conor O'Boyle, has presented peacekeeping service medals to 150 Irish and Finnish soldiers in south Lebanon.

He awarded the medals near the town of At Tiri yesterday at the completion of a two-day visit to the 108th Irish-Finn battalion, who deployed to Lebanon in May for a six-month tour of duty.

The Defence Forces are supplying 332 peacekeepers, who work alongside 175 Finnish soldiers as part of the joint battalion, led by Lieut Col Tony McKenna.

Before the awards ceremony, General O'Boyle laid a wreath in memory of the 47 Irish soldiers, who died on peacekeeping duties in Lebanon at a memorial in Tibnin, which used to house Camp Shamrock, the headquarters of successive Irish battalions for several decades.
          THE chief of staff of the Defence Forces, Lieutenant General Conor O'Boyle, has presented peacekeeping service medals to 150 Irish and Finnish soldiers in south Lebanon.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            I'd love to know how a destroyer is going to transport 1100 troops with APCs and Centarios!

It had extra accommodation for 255
            I was reading the article about the LÉ Emer being decommissionned:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0920/475424-le-emer/#video

And saw that comment:

Emer was the first Naval Service ship to transport Irish troops to South Lebanon to serve with the United Nations in 1979.
            Seeing the size of the Ship, I'm guessing it was transporting a "portion" of the contingent...

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post

And saw that comment:

Seeing the size of the Ship, I'm guessing it was transporting a "portion" of the contingent...
              One APC strapped on to the back and I think ammo. (typical uninformed jurno).

Comment

• It never, to my knowledge transported troops, Just equipment. You could fit 2 Panhard APCs on deck aft, as well as ammunition and other vital stores. On some occasions though it was not possible to land the stores in Lebanon, so the ship would divert to Haifa instead.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Plastic didn't even bother to dress appropriately today.

SDC13625 by seamuscor, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    It never, to my knowledge transported troops, Just equipment. You could fit 2 Panhard APCs on deck aft, as well as ammunition and other vital stores.
                    So it was transporting a "portion" of the contingent's equipment, then...

Never give up!!"

Comment

And saw that comment:

There actually quite roomy inside. Attached Images

File Type: jpg 249940_124765477606357_101764433239795_197878_6976 662_n.jpg (79.5 KB, 816 views)
                      File Type: jpg 252431_124765747606330_101764433239795_197885_7258 850_n.jpg (81.5 KB, 521 views)
                      File Type: jpg 253614_124765820939656_101764433239795_197887_3264 499_n.jpg (70.5 KB, 515 views)
                      File Type: jpg 255184_124765667606338_101764433239795_197884_2852 887_n.jpg (66.6 KB, 725 views)

Comment

Naval ships where used on resupply missions overseas not to transport the actual contingent of troops and equipment.

Comment

• Goldie, you really have little to complain about if a journo is wearing a pair of jeans and it rises you. I'd say that he got called out of the blue to meet the cameraman and get down to the Basin. The guy he's talking to is wearing a fisherman's hat with a suit, so do feel free to set the fashion police onto him, too.

regards
                          GttC

Comment

• The retired officer has earned the right to wear whatever he wishes.

Comment

• An updated UNIFIL map has been published.

Comment

• A video of French troops serving with UNIFIL carrying out a troop rotation by sea.

Comment

Working...
                                X