No announcement yet.

What range do you zero your rifle for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the last thing I fired in excess of 400 metres was calibred at 84mm......and I wasn't to interested in zeroing it,,,just hitting the target was acceptable.

As for the 200m and plates..when you have the trophies and plates come back and argue the point!

its not about zeroing..its grouping...group 2inches at 200 metres and then you know your doing it right.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 26 May 2011, 23:24.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

do the Irish DF practice bore-sighting and recording properly zeroed weapons on individual collimators?
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Bore sighting is used on the 84mm....the rest no...lucky to gte the same weapon from stores twice as a reservist unless you shoot at competition. Same rifle for eight years in my case..never oiled once.site adjustment dpeneded on my own failing eye sight..our 'Q' made sure it was quaranteened for me..she was brand new....never a stoppage...even after about 5000 rounds..
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

you did well there murph - i guess my question was more aimed at PDF than RDF.

but what do you mean no oil in 8 years?
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            do the Irish DF practice bore-sighting and recording properly zeroed weapons on individual collimators?
            We've never needed them, our rifles work

Comment

Joking aside, Im prety sure they come with our CWS and Sniper Rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
                We've never needed them, our rifles work
                you obviously have no idea what i am talking about because what has bore-sighting and the use of a collimator got to do with the reliability of a weapon?

anyhow the A2 is one of the most reliable weapons out there now with far better optics than the Steyr so i think you have the wrong end of the stick there mate.

we even train and use them in combat to engage upto 400m
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 27 May 2011, 01:15.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

you did well there murph - i guess my question was more aimed at PDF than RDF.

but what do you mean no oil in 8 years?
                  I guess he means he never oiled it when cleaning for all that time?

Comment

anyhow the A2 is one of the most reliable weapons out there now with far better optics than the Steyr so i think you have the wrong end of the stick there mate.
                    I don't see how it would have far better optics then a Steyr when you could just as easily put an ACOG on a Steyr as well.

Also isn't the ACOG basically equivalent to the Elcan that's slowly coming into service with some units in the DF?

Comment

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                      I zero 15cm high at 100 unless I'm going shooting plates
                      You're zeroing a tad high there....
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I guess he means he never oiled it when cleaning for all that time?
                        Oil was never applied directly or left on the rifle in a deliberate residue..it was used to lift carbon as any solvent would and used to lubricate working metal parts.

neither did I use comercial gun cleaning solvents or the dreaded WD40.

Its not perfect but if you know the limitations of the weapon and treat it appropriately it works well.

Oil residue attracts dirt in various areas that damage precison tolerances.It wasn't designed to be cleaned with oils..detergents were optimal.... brushes and hard fabrics.. from inception the Steyr was a dry rifle....

Comment

You're zeroing a tad high there....
                          With his shooting record..I'll accept his point of aim.

Its conditional how you aquire and fire. The book is guidance but given the book works on an MPI as opposed to precision, precision shooters often have their own POA.

Believe me ..BS is a prescision shooter with any weapon he uses.

Having shot competition with and against the guy the guy...he knows....and if he gets it wrong I'll ask his brother
                          Last edited by hptmurphy; 27 May 2011, 03:04.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            from inception the Steyr was a dry rifle....
                            That comes whith an oil bottle with steyr written on it?
                            But there's no danger
                            It's a professional career
                            Though it could be arranged
                            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                            If you're out of luck you're out of work
                            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

That comes whith an oil bottle with steyr written on it?
                              accepted.

Have you looked at the spec of the oil required as opposed to the 'oil' supplied by the army

like comparing olive oil to axle grease.....

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                                I don't see how it would have far better optics then a Steyr when you could just as easily put an ACOG on a Steyr as well.

Also isn't the ACOG basically equivalent to the Elcan that's slowly coming into service with some units in the DF?
                                you don't have ACOG's.

we do.

and we already have the ELCAN with 4RIFLES being the first infantry battalion to be fully equipped with it:

soldiers from 4RIFLES on exercise in Kenya recently.

even the standard SUSAT is better than the standard Steyr optics.
                                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 27 May 2011, 09:39.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X