No announcement yet.

Confessions of a Gucci-Kit Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good info coming out of here. I'm dead jealous of your rig S&S, it looks like a great set-up. The Foretrex 401 is a fantastic system, I use it for hiking, mountain biking and mil training and find it a massive improvement over the eTrex which I had before.

I've attached a few photo's of my CEFO, showing the strapping on the inside which I believe Apod mentioned - it took me an age to get it set up nicely and I still fiddle with it every so often but now it's pretty much a part of me when I wear it. I chose not to put the bungee all around the outside of the utility pouches as it either compressed them too much or hung slack, depending on what was in them at the time. Instead, I used an awl to push the bungee through the gap behind the clip and tied it back on itself. This stops them from moving independently of each other and the strap on the inside holds them against the ammo pouches. All the pouches are pushed as far to the rear as possible so I have no difficultly crawling or accessing ammo when I'm prone. My daysack is the shortish square 40 l from Protac and I find it excellent as it sits perfectly on top of the webbing.

I have: double ammo left and right, with the dividers ripped out of the ones on the right to hold frag (as if!) and smoke grenades. Alternatively I can carry 2x50 round belts if necessary.. Across the back I have three utility pouches - water and hexi in one, main meal, binos, GPS, cleaning kit and sandbag in the middle and the third empty for link. Immediately beside this is a single ammo pouch which contains my trauma kit - Israeli bandage, dressings, shears and a CAT and NPA whenever I get around to buying them. There is space for a bayonet immediately behind the left ammo pouch and I have threaded the clip from a set of '58 through one of the straps so I can attach my helmet where it doesn't swing about the place.
    Attached Files
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Nice loadout there Concussion, thanks for posting!

I used to have a set of DPM PLCE webbing in the BA which I customised to buggery. I have no photos but examples of the custom mods I put in were:

- Plasticuffs / large zip ties. I used to feed these horizontally through between the ammo pouches and the belt, so that they protruded out for immediate access when taking prisoners. (The same thinking went into my chest rig over the left shoulder)

- Utility strap. Threaded through the lower loops at the back of the pouches, I would clip it together with a quick release clip at the front, like a secondary belt. It held the pouches in place and could be adjusted if need be.

- Quick release yoke. The old body armour in the BA used to have a PLCE belt attachment at the back, this had a female quick release clip. I "acquired" two of these, with male counterparts, and made the front of the yoke releasable. The clips could comfortably hold a full battle load, and my whole belt kit would fall off me by releasing 4 clips (2x yoke, main belt, secondary belt as described above). The idea being that if I was injured, my CEFO was immediately removable without having to move me.

- Bayonet frog. To save space on the belt, I used to sit this between the loops of my left most utility pouch. It held the utility pouch in place and didn't compromise on space.

-Velcro. I always stitched in extra velcro into the ammo pouches with a protruding pull tab so that I didn't have to fiddle around too much with the PLCE clips. That way, I could reload comfortably with gloves on.

That's what I recall from the top of my head, was 10 years ago now. Shortly after finalising my belt kit, I moved onto an assault vest. We were vehicle mounted most of the time, so the transition made sense. Plus in early 2000's, vests just looked fricking cool!!

Comment

• Nice load out concussion. I like the idea of the clip from the 58ptn for your helmet. I use a cable tie which does the trick nicely. Also keep cable ties under the cover of the helmet with the fat end sticking out. Nice and handy when you need them.

Comment

• Hey all, here is my tic-tac load out.
          Note: Missing a torch, mozzie spray and paracord as I gave them to folks who haven’t returned them yet

A:
          Complete kit with Bergen, and Web-tex US Woodland assault vest

B:
          Web-tex US Woodland assault vest

C:
          Left side of Vest:
          Inner left zip pocket: TAMS, knife
          Small stud fastened pouches x2: Paracord, heady(Buff), mozzie net, ear plugs
          First/Second pouches: Ammo, (Holds 6 magazines)
          Third pouch: First aid kit
          Fourth pouch (Brit DPM): Mess tin, freezer bags, spork, baby wipes, alcohol wipes, water purification tablets

Right side of Vest:
          Inner right zip pocket: Used as dump pouch
          Admin pouch: Mirror, camo cream, insulating tape, sanitising cream for hands, light
          First pouch: Tact gloves, Bonnie
          Second pouch: Pletors
          Third pouch: Water Canteen

F: Bergen unpacked

Outside pocket: Paracord, bungees, ground pegs, model kit
          Inside Main pocket: x2 ponchos, one olive green for model making, sleeping bag, fleece, spare socks and jocks, t-shirts in dry compression sack, bivvy
          Inside lid pocket: Hand saw, bog roll
          Outside lid pocket: Issued TAMS, maps, aerosol for removing markers, spare batteries
          Left rocket pouch: Water bottle 2l, mostly empty for rations
          Right pocket pouch: Spare sockets, hat, gloves, spare base layer, foot powder, wash kit, rubbish bag

G: Day sack
          Wet gear, hydration system 3l, rifle cleaning kit
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
            Hey all, here is my tic-tac load out.
            Note: Missing a torch, mozzie spray and paracord as I gave them to folks who haven’t returned them yet

A:
            Complete kit with Bergen, and Web-tex US Woodland assault vest

B:

C:
            Left side of Vest:
            Fourth pouch (Brit DPM): Mess tin, freezer bags, spork, baby wipes, alcohol wipes, water purification tablets

Right side of Vest:
            Admin pouch: Mirror, camo cream, insulating tape, sanitising cream for hands, light
            Third pouch: Water Canteen

Outside pocket: Paracord, bungees, ground pegs, model kit
            Inside Main pocket: x2 ponchos, one olive green for model making, sleeping bag, fleece, spare socks and jocks, t-shirts in dry compression sack, bivvy
            Inside lid pocket: Hand saw, bog roll
            Outside lid pocket: Issued TAMS, maps, aerosol for removing markers, spare batteries
            Right pocket pouch: Spare sockets, hat, gloves, spare base layer, foot powder, wash kit, rubbish bag

Wet gear, hydration system 3l, rifle cleaning kit
            Couple of pointers:

(a) Murph suggested this yonks ago, but instead of the aerosol tin for removing marker from
            laminated maps, etc, have a pack of nail varnish remover pads. Smaller, takes up less room and
            probably lighter in weight. I took this point on board for my Std NCO Cse and it worked a treat
            Something like this:

(b) Pace Beads - again, this was another suggestion I took on board for my course, and they sure
            came in handy out on the Slieve Bloom Mountains !!! Can buy them online, or use the push button thingys
            that are on the drawcords of backpacks - can buy these in camping stores

Pace Beads:

(c) Are the loafers in picture A for the base camp ?

(d) What happened to pictures D and E ?
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
              Hey all, here is my tic-tac load out.[COLOR="Red"]Not a bad loadout but heres a few pointers to lighten the load[/[/COLOR]B]

A:
              Complete kit with Bergen, and [B[COLOR="yellow"]]Web-tex[/COLOR]
              US Woodland assault vestWebtex! Buy Webtex,buy twice!Its not IRR and the quality of their kit is shite.
              B:

C:
              Left side of Vest:
              Fourth pouch (Brit DPM): Mess tin,(Ditch this and get a metal mug that fits under your waterbottle.Use that to brew up and you will also have more space in the pouch where the messtin was) freezer bags, spork, baby wipes(kieep these with your hygiene kit in Bergen), alcohol wipes(sleeve pocket of smock with small bottle of alcho gel), water purification tablets(should be with your waterbottle.Tape them to outside of bottle in small ziploc)

Right side of Vest:
              Admin pouch: Mirror, camo cream, insulating tape, sanitising cream for hands(see above), light
              Third pouch: Water Canteen(should be co located with metal mug and puritabs)

Outside pocket: Paracord, bungees, ground pegs, model kit(keep in lid pocket with TAMS and maps etc)
              Inside Main pocket: x2 ponchos, one olive green for model makingDitch the second poncho.Use natural materials for models.Put other poncho with paracord attached in outside front pocket so if it gets wet it doesnt soak all your other kit!), sleeping bag, fleece(should be in Daysack), spare socks and jocks, t-shirts in dry compression sack(One spare thermal long sleeve top and a pair of socks for everyday on the ground and a spare pants is all you need.Keep these in a drybag in one of the rocket pouches, bivvyIs that a Bivvy bag?if so take out your sleeping bag from its stuff sack and put it into the Bivvy bag.That all you should have in the main compartment under your daysack.

Inside lid pocket: Hand saw, bog rollTake these items out and replace with your hygiene kit.replace large bulky toilet roll with one or two packs of ration pack tissues in ziploc.Also keep a pack in vest and another in daysack.

Right pocket pouch: Spare socketsMove to daysack.Ziploced for emergencies, hat, gloves(Daysack), spare base layerWith spare clothes in other rocket, foot powder, wash kit, rubbish bagUnder lid pocket.

Wet gear, hydration system 3l, rifle cleaning kitShould be in vest
              Hope those tips help.
              Last edited by apod; 8 July 2011, 10:52.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                Hope those tips help.
                valid points apod, but that didn't help my eyes at all mate.
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Sorry Mate it was only after i read it myself that i realised how bad the red was and i tried changing to yellow.Made a balls of that so decided to leave it!
                  My bad
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• its ok mate - i put on my 3D glasses and it's fine now, thanks.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Thanks for the help lads, much appreciated, especially the load lightening ones!

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

(c) Are the loafers in picture A for the base camp ?

(d) What happened to pictures D and E ?
                      That pic was taken on my bedroom floor and theres not alot of room so the loafers(I call them shoes?) squeezed in unintentionally

And the site has a max of 5 items to be attached, I had planned for 7 but had to cut D and E to keep only the best pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Hope those tips help.
                        Yep, thanks very much. Hoping to be on the ground for a 72 ex in two weeks so I'll hopefully apply your tips for then

And with regards the Webtex, I got it because it is kinda similar to the issued vest, so if by some mircle I ever get one be and easy switch.
                        Last edited by Vamp369; 9 July 2011, 12:38.

Comment

• vamp i recommend adding a secateurs to your cefo some-place , one of the handiest bits of kit i have .
                          + 1 to truck drivers additions too, i have a pace counter on my dummy chord for my swiss army ,
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• Note with Secateurs, buy the heaviest pair you can and never lend them. Some fecker always manages to break them on a california redwood.
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Lidl were doing a good pair for £1.99 over here a few months ago.

A Leatherman Micra is pretty good as well, though a lot more expensive. Found one in a Millets sale a while ago for £10, I believe they are usually up to twice that. They have a really good pair of scissors on them, and fold up into nothing. I carry them along with my Swiss Army Knife all the time these days, and I use them more. I only keep the Swiss Army Knife for the toothpick at this stage, I think!

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• For when your put in a position for half a f**king tree in it, they fly through everything and weigh almost noting.

Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X