No announcement yet.

Confessions of a Gucci-Kit Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crag makes a fair point and the PDF do sometimes have to deal with the same issues of lack of self application as we do. They're just better at following up with corrective action.

Back on topic. All of us, whether professionals or lay people (of the church of Defence) train for contingencies, if you start metagaming exercises to the extent that you aren't packing adequate kit to go beyond 24hrs then you may as well take up a hobby instead.

In terms of personal kit there shouldn't be all that much to it, you have to aim off for the weight and volume of ordnance and rations, that's what you're really up against.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
      I don't have all the answers, I can only offer my experience ..
      And it's a fair one Crag. The assessments weren't a beasting by any stretch and I didn't see anyone getting any unfair treatment over lack of ability.

This is simply the consequence of deploying soldiers into the field without a prerequisite fitness test.

Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
      I found the most effective way to motivate people was a mix of "KILL THEM F**KERS!" and "This is what we are trained for! Come on, don't let your buddy down!"
      And it has to be said it worked too mate! I happily watched you task and launch your section into two En positions before the reserve section had a chance to reach you. Fair Balls

Comment

• Keeping the momentum going!

Comment

• We used to do the auld "what are we gonna do? KILL EM ALL!!!" at the end of a frago just before the final assault when doin SIA's, used to pump people up a bit!

Comment

• Story similar to that in the gucci kit thread

Comment

• If more people in the RDF took the attitude of Swift, Morpheus, Vamp, Come-quickly etc. when it comes to doing the job and how they conduct themselves, it'd make it a whole lot harder for the big dogs in the PDF to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend the RDF has just disappeared.

As for people not being able to hack it etc. any person who actually goes so far as to hand their kit over to other people to carry for them, doesn't deserve to wear the uniform. It shows they're unable to do the job, they're a liability to the unit they're operating in and obviously lack the personal pride and determination to put up with a bit of suffering. They shouldn't even be entertained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                If more people in the RDF took the attitude of Swift, Morpheus, Vamp, Come-quickly etc. when it comes to doing the job and how they conduct themselves, it'd make it a whole lot harder for the big dogs in the PDF to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend the RDF has just disappeared.

As for people not being able to hack it etc. any person who actually goes so far as to hand their kit over to other people to carry for them, doesn't deserve to wear the uniform. It shows they're unable to do the job, they're a liability to the unit they're operating in and obviously lack the personal pride and determination to put up with a bit of suffering. They shouldn't even be entertained.
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  Daysack:
                  SINCGAR 119C
                  Spare battery, handset, 10ft aerial.
                  3L Camelbak
                  Weapon cleaning kit.
                  Sealskinz socks
                  Spare base layer.
                  Luxury items: Bottle of powerade, spare ziplock bags.
                  No warm gear or rain gear in your daysack and you're still stuck for space?

You need to either get yourself a better daysack mate or else try get your hands on a Baby SINCGAR cause that's not right. You get seperated from your main pack from any extended period of time and you're in trouble. Plus, 3L of water in your daysack as well as your water bottle is a bit excessive IMO.

Comment

• I fit a baby sincgars, raingear and a sleeka in a drybag into my ziptop daysack and it fit into my plce main pack. I'm fairly confident I could get away with the same for a 119c

That said my daysack is monstrous.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
                      As an NCO I led by example, I had a fully packed CEFO with daysack and kept reiterating all weekend what you should be carrying out on patrol/attack. I would not enforce carrying fully packed CEFO or half the section would not be fit to carry on.
                      Just noticed this wee bit.

Until they have to carry fully packed CEFO, most of them are never gonna be fit to carry on. It's all well and good saying troops aren't upto standard but quite frankly, it's to be expected if there's no real standard to meet.

What do you do when it comes to kit inspections? Or when they actually have to do the job out on the ground? They're never gonna be fit enough to carry fully packed CEFO if they never carry fully packed CEFO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                        I fit a baby sincgars, raingear and a sleeka in a drybag into my ziptop daysack and it fit into my plce main pack. I'm fairly confident I could get away with the same for a 119c

That said my daysack is monstrous.
                        I could fit a Baby SINCGAR, raingear, warm top, warm hat, gloves, Sealskin socks, 150 rounds of 7.62, NVE and a Commanders folder into the issue daysack and the issued daysack is shite.

Comment

I could fit a Baby SINCGAR, raingear, warm top, warm hat, gloves, Sealskin socks, 150 rounds of 7.62, NVE and a Commanders folder into the issue daysack and the issued daysack is shite.
                          Oh yeah, well I could fit a Laotian family of 5 and a dead marlin in mine... funny story about that actually.

Back OT: Swift is there any dead space in your daysack? i.e. where the radio was stuck halfway up and there was space underneath?
                          Last edited by Come-quickly; 14 October 2011, 14:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                            Oh yeah, well I could fit a Laotian family of 5 and a dead marlin in mine... funny story about that actually.

Comment

Until they have to carry fully packed CEFO, most of them are never gonna be fit to carry on. It's all well and good saying troops aren't upto standard but quite frankly, it's to be expected if there's no real standard to meet.
                              The standard is set, everyone knows what they have to carry. Before this particular assessment at least two lessons where given explaining what,where and how with regards to carrying equipment out on the ground in CEFO and CEMO.

The way I see the situation is two fold.
                              1) If all troops are forced to carry all items as per SOP's, those who aren't fit/capable WILL go down. This leads to losing troops.

2)If someone does go down carrying feck all, when they see they're section or section IC or 2IC continuing on with a fully packed CEFO and a daysack with an ammo resupply, if they don't realise then, feck, I gotta pull my act together and get fit, then what else can one do?

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                              What do you do when it comes to kit inspections? Or when they actually have to do the job out on the ground? They're never gonna be fit enough to carry fully packed CEFO if they never carry fully packed CEFO.
                              I do get your point but unless the RDF goes on tactical exercise's more than three times a year, it won't work. In the PDF that would work. Do it ten weeks in a row and you will get fit enough to do.

Thats why I am for a fitness test every year being made mandatory

Comment

• Thats why I am for a fitness test every year being made mandatory
                                I sincerely hope there are very few people in the reserve who aren't

Comment

Working...
                                X