Confessions of a Gucci-Kit Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    You have me sold on the pouches on the bergen.

The whole point of the daysack is that it extremely rapidly accessible (within seconds).
    Hence the compromise.

Realistically, with the sleeping system consolidated into the one bag, as soon as I unclip the lid, the bag can be pushed away instantly, leaving my daysack openly accessible. Yes it probably adds a second to the reaction time, but a) it's not like I'll likely be put in that position anyway b) I'm not busting my back with an unmanageable bergan for the sake of it, and c) even with the sleeping system on top, I reckon I'll still be on my feet, daysack on and rifle up before most of my comrades anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
      I now have a new Bergan. It's basically a PLCE short back bergan with the front pouch removed and a full panel of MOLLE across the front. It also has a modified floating lid.

That bergan looks the bomb. Nothing worse that needing to get something and its all the way at the bottom of the bloody bergan. Segregation for the army nation!

Comment

• Is it wrong that I have started to have romantic feelings for that set up?
        Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Is that pallet in the background what the rigout was delivered on ????
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I also have a new daysack to compliment my CEFO. It's the BA issued MTP Predator Patrol daysack. I'm fooking delighted with it!
            Told ya so!

Comment

Hence the compromise.

Realistically, with the sleeping system consolidated into the one bag, as soon as I unclip the lid, the bag can be pushed away instantly, leaving my daysack openly accessible. Yes it probably adds a second to the reaction time, but a) it's not like I'll likely be put in that position anyway b) I'm not busting my back with an unmanageable bergan for the sake of it, and c) even with the sleeping system on top, I reckon I'll still be on my feet, daysack on and rifle up before most of my comrades anyway
              Do you need all 6 pouches on the front of your pack?

If you went with 3 across the top of the molle loops, it should leave enough space underneath them to run two extension straps through the loops to hold your mat in place.

Comment

• I love the idea of the pouches on the front but don't think I could fill 6 pouches (3 yes).

Comment

• The backpack I got for my travels. Fits all my kit nicely and is very comfortable. Was carrying about 30kg and had no pain or stiffness in my back. S&S your backpack reminds me of it and its a great choice. Great kit again.
                  To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                    http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/c...Burgen_MC.html

The backpack I got for my travels. Fits all my kit nicely and is very comfortable. Was carrying about 30kg and had no pain or stiffness in my back. S&S your backpack reminds me of it and its a great choice. Great kit again.
                    That wont attract attention at all...... in some countries it might even be illegal.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      That wont attract attention at all...... in some countries it might even be illegal...
                      A very valid point, Havoc... better examine your travel itinerary again....
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                        That wont attract attention at all...... in some countries it might even be illegal.
                        Illegal how so? I went around SE Asia and the US with a brit DPM back pack. I wasn't the only one either! You'll see loads of it. Only issue may be that they count as oversized luggage on some airlines.
                        "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• Got into Oz with it. And they have arguably the strictest customs security in the world.
                          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                            Got into Oz with it. And they have arguably the strictest customs security in the world.
                            Enjoy the trip...

Comment

• its not the err.. more civilised countries i'd be worried about. if they don't like it they'll tell you so, confiscate it and give you a big plastic bag to put your stuff in and tell you to buy a civvy bag. some more 'exotic' locations might clock you with foreign military gear and pop you down to your local police station for a few days fun with electricty and rape because they think you're a spy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                                Do you need all 6 pouches on the front of your pack?

If you went with 3 across the top of the molle loops, it should leave enough space underneath them to run two extension straps through the loops to hold your mat in place.
                                I think what I'm going to do is find a big pouch to mirror this set up..
                                Keeping 3 utility pouches underside for rations, water, brew kit etc.

The big pouch will basically be for my basha kit / para cord etc.
                                This one is on ebay for €22, remove the shoulder strap and that'll be quite handy, the down side is that the material is not as robust as Cordura...

Here's my kit while I'm on Ex, just to prove it does leave the house....

And here's me posing away...

Comment

Working...
                                X