Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helmet strap for new style issue Irish helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet strap for new style issue Irish helmet?

Well lads jus wondering if anyone knows a source for a replacement chinstrap for the new style issue helmet? A mate of mine picked me one up in an Australia of all places (it's the same issue helmet)but the chinstrap isn't in the best condition? Cheers lads
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
    Well lads jus wondering if anyone knows a source for a replacement chinstrap for the new style issue helmet? A mate of mine picked me one up in an Australia of all places (it's the same issue helmet)but the chinstrap isn't in the best condition? Cheers lads
    I have one if you want it.Brand new.Yours if you want it.PM me your details.
    Only snag though its tan leather as per the old helmet.The new ones are black.Same design though.If the colour isnt an issue you are welcome to it.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Cheers mate that would be great il pm you my address, I'm actually stuck for one for my issue helmet aswell I use it for shooting competitions! But if it fits the new one il use it on it!

Comment

AFAIK the straps for the RBH303 are the same types of straps used on the MICH the americans use.

You can find loads of custom bits and bobs on American sites that sell military stuff.

You can get straps with a nape protector on the back as well as different pads for the inside of the helmet etc.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
          AFAIK the straps for the RBH303 are the same types of straps used on the MICH the americans use.

You can find loads of custom bits and bobs on American sites that sell military stuff.

You can get straps with a nape protector on the back as well as different pads for the inside of the helmet etc.
          Sorry mate but you are wrong.The MICH uses a completely different chinstrap assembly to the RBH303IE which is our current helmet.Anyway its no longer an issue for him as i am gonna hook him up with a chinstrap.Thanks for the input though.
          Attached Files
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            Sorry mate but you are wrong.The MICH uses a completely different chinstrap assembly to the RBH303IE which is our current helmet.Anyway its no longer an issue for him as i am gonna hook him up with a chinstrap.Thanks for the input though.
            As i understand it the issue 3-point chinstrap is connected to the helmet via a belt loop at the back and the bolts at the front. Kinda like in the old issue helmet.

I was looking at the issue RHB303IE that a buddy of mine has and it looks like the locations of the helmet bolts are in the same location as the MICH helmet that i have. On the MICH the chinstraps are 4-point chinstraps and are attached via these bolts so i thought they'd be interchangeable.

Here's a good pic of the bolts i'm on about:

My guess is that you'd just use the bolts at the back instead of using the belt loop. Meaning it is possible to mount a 4-point chinstrap with a nape protector.

If not then my bad, it was just an idea.
            Last edited by spaceghetti; 19 June 2011, 17:03.

Comment

As i understand it the issue 3-point chinstrap is connected to the helmet via a belt loop at the back and the bolts at the front. Kinda like in the old issue helmet.
              That "belt loop" is also held in place by a bolt.

I was looking at the issue RHB303IE that a buddy of mine has and it looks like the locations of the helmet bolts are in the same location as the MICH helmet that i have. On the MICH the chinstraps are 4-point chinstraps and are attached via these bolts so i thought they'd be interchangeable.
              My guess is that you'd just use the bolts at the back instead of using the belt loop. Meaning it is possible to mount a 4-point chinstrap with a nape protector.
              Being honest i dont know if it is possible as i dont have a MICH four point harness to play around with.Perhaps it is.Here's a pic of the helmet interior.Perhaps that will give you a clue as to wheeter it is possible.You cant see the bolt holding the "belt loop" in place at the rear but it is there

If not then my bad, it was just an idea. \
              No worries at all.Not a bad idea.
              Attached Files

Comment

Did the helmet rank markings ever go on issue or did certain people just get their hands on them?

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                  That "belt loop" is also held in place by a bolt.

Being honest i dont know if it is possible as i dont have a MICH four point harness to play around with.Perhaps it is.Here's a pic of the helmet interior.Perhaps that will give you a clue as to wheeter it is possible.You cant see the bolt holding the "belt loop" in place at the rear but it is there

No worries at all.Not a bad idea.
                  Looking at the picture it looks like it is possible to mount a 4-point chinstrap.

But are the bolts removable? Or are they rivets that must be taken out with a drill? If they aren't removable some places sell a bolt set along with the chin strap and nape protector that you can use to replace the original bolts. On my helmet they are just unscrewed with an allen key.

All you have to do is unscrew the bolts, put the harness straps in place, and screw the bolts back on.

By the looks of it the bolts are being used to hold the suspension system, but the chin straps should fit in there as well no problem.

In my helmet the bolts just hold the chinstrap and instead of a suspension system i have removable ZAP pads that are held on with velcro.

Looks kinda like this:

Most chinstraps that use the bolts like this are usually universal, as long as the bolts are in around the same location then the chinstraps from the MICH can be used in any other helmet.

My helmet isn't even an official MICH helmet. It's a South African helmet that's based on it, in the same way the RBH303 is an Israeli helmet based on the MICH. My one is actually a Global Armour PASCUT helmet but it has the exact same chinstrap as the MICH.

Global Armour PASCUT:
                  Last edited by spaceghetti; 19 June 2011, 22:05.

Comment

Looking at mine I think it would be possible to leave the anchors of the straps in place and just change the main body of the strap which I think should be easy enough to replace!

Comment

I do hope you people only plan on using these non-issued helmets for the likes of airsoft as using them on exercise be it with the PDF or RDF would be a major issue with health and safety. If you go over and injure your head you are not covered and you'll more than likely just get bounced off.
                      Last edited by AATWT; 3 July 2011, 12:41.

Comment

Helmets aren't personal issue with most RDF units so should anything happen such as a fall happen any type of DF issue helmet should be fine iv never seen helmets checked as to their protection level at anything exercises, shooting practices or brigade or all army competitions. In fact at this years eastern brigade shoot I'd say at least 30% of competitors had the new issue helmet! And there wasnt a word said or question asked!!! In my opinion once it's a real world helmet be it Irish,British or American and offers suitable protection there shouldn't be too much said!! It may not uniformity but at least they are real world items and not replicas!!

Comment

Originally posted by AATWT View Post
                          I do hope you people only plan on using these non-issued helmets for the likes of airsoft as using them on exercise be it with the PDF or RDF would be a major issue with health and safety. If you go over and injure your head you are not covered and you'll more than likely just get bounced off.
                          Mate, if I had to go to war with the RDF, and I had the choice of buy my own helmet and take the consequences off some H&S jobsworth bollocking me, or wearing the issued, 10-20 year old helmets, which aren't personally issued, are missing most of the internal fittings and the structural/ballistic integrity of which is well and truly compromised at this stage after being thrown on and off trucks with every range practice since it came into RDF service; I'd sooner take the bollocking on the chin and let the H&S twat lose his head, rather than me lose mine.

Comment

Originally posted by AATWT View Post
                            What about the fact that you'd have less chance to injure yourself with a good helmet rather then wearing the issued one?

What kind of protection is the helmet gonna provide when it's issued 2 sizes too big for ya and is falling off your head?

I'd rather avoid getting injured in the first place rather then worry about paying for it afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                              What kind of protection is the helmet gonna provide when it's issued 2 sizes too big for ya and is falling off your head?
                              I have the direct opposite problem, fat head syndrome, I never found one that fit correctly and I spent an hour going though about 200 of them, no labels of course!
                              Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X