Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    DF issue Sleeping Bag

    Can some tell me who makes the issue sleeping bag, the big one with ' PROPERTY OF THE DEFENCE FORCES' on it?

    Or point in the direction to buy one? minus the prop of the df bit!

  2. #2
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurydoc View Post
    Can some tell me who makes the issue sleeping bag, the big one with ' PROPERTY OF THE DEFENCE FORCES' on it?

    Or point in the direction to buy one? minus the prop of the df bit!
    They come from Poland.

  3. #3
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get A snugpak!

  4. #4
    Private 3* Celtic-Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could get a snugpak tent bivvy and sleeping bag combo smaller than that monster!!

  5. #5
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think these were on issue, not sure if they still are tho.

    http://www.nanok.no/engelsk/page32/page34/page34.html
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  6. #6
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurydoc View Post
    Can some tell me who makes the issue sleeping bag, the big one with ' PROPERTY OF THE DEFENCE FORCES' on it?

    Or point in the direction to buy one? minus the prop of the df bit!
    Which one?Their are at least five different sleeping bags that have been on issue to the DF since 1998.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  7. #7
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Which one?Their are at least five different sleeping bags that have been on issue to the DF since 1998.
    these are new , there no marking on them except 'propp of the df' on the bag and the bottomof the actually bag, its acold weather bag, its luxury in a bag!! feckin think fills the bergan half way!!!!

  8. #8
    BQMS Liachta Cultaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    I think these were on issue, not sure if they still are tho.

    http://www.nanok.no/engelsk/page32/page34/page34.html
    Yep thats the one I was issued
    I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

  9. #9
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Valley of the Shadow of Death
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    To get that authentic military sleeping bag experience, buy a green sleeping bag. Then get 30 of your mates to run around on a hot and humid day, so that they're sufficiently sweaty. Then have them all roll around in the mud, thorny bushes and sheep shite. Then make sure they each eat curry, cabbage and any other flatulence inducing foods. Have them all spend an hour in the sleeping bag, getting everyone to change their clothes, including underwear, picking away the scabs from the scratches caused by rolling over thorns, whilst randomly nominating 5 of the lads to relieve themselves by way of a five knuckle shuffle in the bag. Once complete, roll bag up, put bag into storage for a month, allowing all stains to ingrain themselves into the bag.

    Take bag out, and roll out the bag in a situation where there no other alternative sleeping arrangements are available, and 'VOILA!', you're getting the military sleeping bag experience.

  10. #10
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    To get that authentic military sleeping bag experience, buy a green sleeping bag. Then get 30 of your mates to run around on a hot and humid day, so that they're sufficiently sweaty. Then have them all roll around in the mud, thorny bushes and sheep shite. Then make sure they each eat curry, cabbage and any other flatulence inducing foods. Have them all spend an hour in the sleeping bag, getting everyone to change their clothes, including underwear, picking away the scabs from the scratches caused by rolling over thorns, whilst randomly nominating 5 of the lads to relieve themselves by way of a five knuckle shuffle in the bag. Once complete, roll bag up, put bag into storage for a month, allowing all stains to ingrain themselves into the bag.

    Take bag out, and roll out the bag in a situation where there no other alternative sleeping arrangements are available, and 'VOILA!', you're getting the military sleeping bag experience.


    This sounds a little too much like real exprience ....
    Anything you wanna tell us ???

    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  11. #11
    private REX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    To get that authentic military sleeping bag experience, buy a green sleeping bag. Then get 30 of your mates to run around on a hot and humid day, so that they're sufficiently sweaty. Then have them all roll around in the mud, thorny bushes and sheep shite. Then make sure they each eat curry, cabbage and any other flatulence inducing foods. Have them all spend an hour in the sleeping bag, getting everyone to change their clothes, including underwear, picking away the scabs from the scratches caused by rolling over thorns, whilst randomly nominating 5 of the lads to relieve themselves by way of a five knuckle shuffle in the bag. Once complete, roll bag up, put bag into storage for a month, allowing all stains to ingrain themselves into the bag.

    Take bag out, and roll out the bag in a situation where there no other alternative sleeping arrangements are available, and 'VOILA!', you're getting the military sleeping bag experience.
    Ahh, the good old days before sleeping bags were personal issue
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

  12. #12
    Space Lord of Terra morpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Metropolis
    Posts
    3,146
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by REX View Post
    Ahh, the good old days before sleeping bags were personal issue
    as opposed to the good new days... in the RDF ... when they still arent? manky disgusting sacks of putrid, festering, bacteria infested, broken zipped, woebegone piles of cack.

    but come in off a patrol at 3 am in the middle of November

    and it'll be the happiest moment of the ex when you crawl back into your bag and the warm embracing waft of the sweat and farts of every other soldier who's ever had the misfortune of sleeping in your bag before you.

    not for the squeamish!
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

  13. #13
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    as opposed to the good new days... in the RDF ... when they still arent?
    Personal issue kit or not, it should not go back into stores unless its clean just like any other piece of kit or equipment.

  14. #14
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurydoc View Post
    these are new , there no marking on them except 'propp of the df' on the bag and the bottomof the actually bag, its acold weather bag, its luxury in a bag!! feckin think fills the bergan half way!!!!
    Sounds like the 2009 Ptn bag.Has it got Gaelic writing on it aswell?

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    That's why I always went in fully clothed, boots and all.
    is there any other way to sleep in one on exercise?The most i ever remove is my boots,but only if the tactical situation allows.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  15. #15
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Sounds like the 2009 Ptn bag.Has it got Gaelic writing on it aswell?



    is there any other way to sleep in one on exercise?The most i ever remove is my boots,but only if the tactical situation allows.
    ya apod thats the one, will ya get me a name of manufacture or a site if you dont mind!

  16. #16
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurydoc View Post
    ya apod thats the one, will ya get me a name of manufacture or a site if you dont mind!
    I will try.My issue bag is one of the 2005 jungle type Nanok bags.Only a few of the newer lads have the 09 bag.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  17. #17
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    I will try.My issue bag is one of the 2005 jungle type Nanok bags.Only a few of the newer lads have the 09 bag.
    is that the liberia bag? got the flu after spendinf a night in one of them it was so cold,,, supose i should have closed the window

  18. #18
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.One and the same.Recruits back in 2005 also got them.
    I used that bag in the depths of the bad winter of 2009 in appaling weather.No problems.
    You just have to be smart and use it with a bivvy bag and warm layers on you aswell.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  19. #19
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Valley of the Shadow of Death
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post


    This sounds a little too much like real exprience ....
    Anything you wanna tell us ???

    In fact, now I recall it, I lost my virginity in a 58 Pattern sleeping bag! NO DUFF

    DISCLAIMER: Yes, to a girl, and No, I won't be posting the full story.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •