Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gunner Who? View Post
    ...Ubique...
    d'you know, i almost wish we had another Regimental motto - i don't think i've ever met some unwashed, ill-educated Infantry-type (or, for the pedants, just 'an Infantry-type') who hasn't attempted to be funny by suggesting that 'Ubique' means 'all over the fcuking shop'.

serves the dreadful oiks right when we drop some short, just to keep the illiterate goat-fcukers on their toes...

Comment

• aHh yes,
      as an FOO with the lead company in contact, when the response from the guns falls a little short, the pucker factor is shared equally amonst all impacted upon.

Comment

Just to refocus on the topic heading chaps

Is the organisation and structure of the new artillery regiment published/decided/agreed yet?
        It is but AFAIK not in the public domain

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          1. No but it does reduce deployment time
          2. The payload of a 155 is bigger than a 105 and a result so is the danger zone.
          3. SPGs are prohibitively expensive and more often associated with MBTs and AFVs as opposed to Mech Inf. CAESAR costs over €4 million per gun! In fact a 105 could be manhandled to places a SPG can't go, also they are heli portable.
          4. The 120 carries some ready to fire ammo
          Dev, you're missing the wood for the trees.

E4m each is not very much when you consider that the PIIIH APCs had a per unit cost of e1m each 11 years ago. Defence kit is expensive.

Conflating the low cost options being suggested with PzH2000s is just silly and only throwing smoke. Stop it.

No one has suggested dumping the L118s or voted against upgrading their FCS, stop adding elements to the conversation that you can conveniently argue against.

Arty rounds from guns can be more accurately placed than from mortars and since it is not common practice to start dropping rounds within the MDA of civilians just because the warhead is smaller I fail to see why that would be an issue, also, you can fire different types of round with different effects.

If anything our pre-return-to-Lebanon mission profile had us operating in areas that had less dense civpop and more opportunities for engaging with Arty than encountered in Afghan by NATO forces who routine use air and Arty sp in contacts.

And as you've ignored all of the times that Rhodes has said it the French deployed CAESAR to our current TAOR in Lebanon. Just because we've been hitched to the false morality of UN missions doesn't mean we've got some magic aura that negates the need for firepower.

The point has already been made by myself and others, you cannot support mobile columns patrolling in the bush out to 200kms with guns that can fire out to 18km at a push and have to be limbered/unlimbered to the back of a truck.

If the enemy have 120mm mortars, or old 125mm tank guns (not outrageously difficult to conceive of) or rockets, unguided or not, they can outrange anything we currently deploy, and if a rocket hits it doesn't matter if it was guided or not, just that it was fired with impunity at our side and the cost will be far greater than the cost of mobile artillery support.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• If the danger area for a 105 is 200m and a 155 is 350m and there are civvies within 200m of target, which does it make sense to use?

To get 6 x CAESAR you could get enough MOWAGs to equip almost another 2 Coys. As an alternative you could call in air support or bring arty/mortars with the patrol.

The CAESARs in UNIFIL are part of the force reserve BTW.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              If the danger area for a 105 is 200m and a 155 is 350m and there are civvies within 200m of target, which does it make sense to use?
              Neither, for a variety of reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                T
                2) As for mounting a few on Mowags, the possibility of buying the BigHorn mortar system was investigated a few years ago but they were too expensive for Paddy's wallet. If we had our own smart laying system, it would be great to let Timoney loose on a few Mowags with a tin opener, add a large hydraulic sunroof and mount a turntable for a Ruag 120. I don't know what charge you could fire on wheels with no buffers but if any lads know about beefing up suspensions, its them.

All that said, we all know that nothing is going to be spent any time soon :(
                Sapin went for the 81mm cardom system from Israel mounted on protected vamtacs, acquired six for 8.5 million, which would be ideal for long range patrols and might fit the budget slightly better.

We could get Elbit to integrate it onto another protected chassis if necessary , after all elbit does provide a lot of the artillery corps smarts already.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by paul g; 8 June 2013, 11:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
                  after all elbit does provide a lot of the artillery corps smarts already.
                  Yup, there are lots of expensive Gun Display Units sitting on shelves, though not used very often though due to very short battery life.
                  (they were designed for SP artillery where there is plenty juice on tap but Paddy bought them anyway)
                  Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Ah crap.

That was an accidental 'dislike' Archie. Caveman thumbs on touch screens.

GOOGLE tells me that the pu cost of a T7 turret is 3m plus the chassis, so I'm guessing that with PIIIH being closer to 2m than 1 these days it's actually a more expensive per unit item than CAESAR.

Of course that might be offset by chassis and ammunition commonality (assuming there is total interchangeability with the L118 ammunition) but assuming there's a minimum purchase of 12 to be able to train/maintain and deploy that's a batch cost of e60m as opposed to e48m for CAESAR albeit with the additional costs problems of introducing a whole new chassis and calibre to the Army.

The Cardom system is both the least capable and most economically feasible, it would (assuming a suitable chassis is chosen) be far better than sending out patrols with nothing but obviously something with more range (in all senses) would be preferable.

AFAIR Canada had/has some Mortar Carrier LAVs, I wonder if they have any on Mothballs waiting for Mr Right?
                    Last edited by Come-quickly; 9 June 2013, 09:04.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                      AFAIR Canada had/has some Mortar Carrier LAVs, I wonder if they have any on Mothballs waiting for Mr Right?
                      Yes, we do have mortar carrier LAVs (they are actually Bisons, based on the LAV II) but I doubt they are on mothballs or available for sale.
                      I have also seen some mortar carrier BV-206s, but I am not a mortar guy so I am not sure about their status.
                      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                        Yup, there are lots of expensive Gun Display Units sitting on shelves, though not used very often though due to very short battery life.
                        (they were designed for SP artillery where there is plenty juice on tap but Paddy bought them anyway)
                        Surely the GDU can be powered from an external source, such a vehicle, by cable.

Comment

• The GDUs can only be powered from an external source.
                          They were designed to be wired to the vehicle in which it it installed.
                          In the Irish context, they each have a power cable connected to an external battery sitting beside it.

We also bought the version without the built-in wifi so you either have to run twisted pair wire around the gun position or else wire each GDU to its own sincgars so you better make sure that you have enough batteries for all those radios as well.
                          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Anyone know about these?
                            Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Look at 1.40+
                            Mortar variant.

Comment

Anyone know about these?
                              Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Look at 1.40+
                              Mortar variant.
                              Given all the maintainence / wear / mileage limit issues associated with tracked vehicles, would they be the most practical choice?
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                                Given all the maintainence / wear / mileage limit issues associated with tracked vehicles, would they be the most practical choice?
                                Would this be any more or less than the scenario where you are towing conventional Arty pieces behind trucks, for instance ?
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X