No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got another question - who does the OP/spotting work? Do the infanteers get trained to call it in? Or do the gunners embed one of their men with infantry/cav units?

Comment

Originally posted by napp View Post
      i got another question - who does the op/spotting work? Do the infanteers get trained to call it in? Or do the gunners embed one of their men with infantry/cav units?
      Forward Observation Observer (FOO).

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
        I got another question - who does the OP/spotting work? Do the infanteers get trained to call it in? Or do the gunners embed one of their men with infantry/cav units?
        Usually the latter but as a small FOO team rather than just one individual.

Doctrine would have it that during an advance, the Bty Commander would move with the Bn Commander that he is supporting and advise on all aspects of fire support while 3 FOO teams would be deployed either as anchor OPs or move with the forward elements.

Of course in practice, our Inf don't regularly call for Arty support so arrangements tend to be somewhat ad-hoc. It also means that the role of Arty in the Irish context is somewhat peripheral as opposed to some other armies where it their guardian angel.
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
          Forward Observation Observer (FOO).
          Is that not meant to be Forward Observation Officer ?

Comment

Originally posted by War Squirrel View Post
            Is that not meant to be Forward Observation Officer ?
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
              Usually the latter but as a small FOO team rather than just one individual.

Doctrine would have it that during an advance, the Bty Commander would move with the Bn Commander that he is supporting and advise on all aspects of fire support while 3 FOO teams would be deployed either as anchor OPs or move with the forward elements.

Of course in practice, our Inf don't regularly call for Arty support so arrangements tend to be somewhat ad-hoc. It also means that the role of Arty in the Irish context is somewhat peripheral as opposed to some other armies where it their guardian angel.
              Ah great, thanks for the reply. Is there just no push from above to have the inf and arty working in close proximity? I've always wondered why I've never heard too much about DF FOOs and OPs.

Comment

FOO/FST to be exact
                New doctrine and additional tasks and training.

(Fire support team. before ye ask.)
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Just on liveline today that these were spotted over naas this morning?

Flares?

In day time?

could it be part of an aer corps SAR training ex?

or mortars?

Last edited by morpheus; 5 October 2011, 15:22.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

chinese lanterns?

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      Just on liveline today that these were spotted over naas this morning?

Flares?

In day time?

could it be part of an aer corps SAR training ex?

or mortars?
                      Just looks like a few paralums being set of over the Curragh.

Comment

hmm yeah! could be firing the paralums on the range, thus the apparent synchronisation of them coming out of the clouds!?
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                          The only thing strange I find about the video is that RTE Radio 1 posted it online with Ray Darcy on Today FM on the vehicles radio.

Comment

quality! free advertisment by the state broadcaster, well done today fm

Comment

Perhaps a unit has donned dark sunglasses to fire table 3 of their ARPs

Comment

I think its aliens

Comment

Working...
                                X