No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets be honest about this (and bear in mind we are strapped for cash and troops)

We dont honestly need a huge artillery- 1 Artillery regiment would be suffice for us as a DF.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      Lets be honest about this (and bear in mind we are strapped for cash and troops)

We dont honestly need a huge artillery- 1 Artillery regiment would be suffice for us as a DF.
      Lets be even more honest, one Regiment is all we effectively have anyway (in pdf).

A regiment is 3 Btys and a HQ. 1,2 and 4 FAR could really only field one full battery each.

Bear in mind that each battery on paper should have 6 gun detachments, 3 OP teams, 2 CP teams, a Survey team as well the necessary support, logs and local defence elements.
      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
        Lets be even more honest, one Regiment is all we effectively have anyway (in pdf).

A regiment is 3 Btys and a HQ. 1,2 and 4 FAR could really only field one full battery each.

Bear in mind that each battery on paper should have 6 gun detachments, 3 OP teams, 2 CP teams, a Survey team as well the necessary support, logs and local defence elements.

Even though they prefer to be about 5 miles (+) from the FEBA and even though they dont really wash that much- our Arty guys are good blokes
        and they (with proper infantry training) can (just about) make good Soldiers.

Arty is a luxury we cant afford nor do we really really need it-

It would be great to have nuclear subs- carriers-hovercrafts-

but we really dont need them - likewise so many artillery units, we should concentrate on what we actually need.

Of all the artillery blokes I know- every single one of them is a great Soldier.
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Is artillery, in the modern Light Infantry based Army, better off being a part of an expanded support company? Overseas, realistically, how many gunners spent their tour sitting at their gun(mortar) waiting for a fire mission?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Not being an Arty head in the slightest, but would we not be better off consolidating the Arty into one regiment (minus), and concentrate money and resources on the air corps to incorporate heavy lift choppers, making the Arty air mobile??

That way, you have one Arty capability that can be mobilised anywhere quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
              Not being an Arty head in the slightest, but would we not be better off consolidating the Arty into one regiment (minus), and concentrate money and resources on the air corps to incorporate heavy lift choppers, making the Arty air mobile??

That way, you have one Arty capability that can be mobilised anywhere quickly.
              The AW139s can carry underslung 105's, its already been done. See video on here somewhere of last 26 pndr shoot in 2010.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                The AW139s can carry underslung 105's, its already been done. See video on here somewhere of last 26 pndr shoot in 2010.
                But do the Air Corps have the capability to deliver, for example, a full battery and associated extras (protection/HQ/manpower/ammo) in one trip? Or is it more of a party trick? i.e. it can lift the guns, but lads and ammo have to get there via other means.
                Last edited by SwiftandSure; 3 January 2012, 15:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  it was quite a detailed article about artillery in action recently - the same type of guns in service with the Irish DF i believe, and may be used by Napp in the near future - couldn't you just have moved it to a different section - or asked me to?
                  It was not about the DF's artillery - which the thread was about. This gun was also already mentioned in another thread started by PMTTS back in 2009. At this stage you should know the rules: keep your posts on topic and consider doing a search for previous threads on a particular subject before duplicating. You should also know how to go about making a complaint instead of publicly whinging.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Even though they prefer to be about 5 miles (+) from the FEBA and even though they dont really wash that much- our Arty guys are good blokes
                    and they (with proper infantry training) can (just about) make good Soldiers.
                    Ahh, the Artillery... the only combat units that have to move forward to take a shower.

Our Artillery was used as Infantry in the Cyprus days, for peacekeeping duties, and they were doing OK. But then, one of the Regts was sent on a more complicated mission in Haiti in the late 90s, and they really ****ed up. Not the Soldiers, but the Leadership.
                    Recently, they were employed in their specialty on the M-777s and 81s in Afg, and they did an outstanding job.

I think Artillery is a necessity; how much of it is open for debate.
                    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Even though they prefer to be about 5 miles (+) from the FEBA
                      We usually like to sit right in front of the FEntonsBAr

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      See video on here somewhere of last 26 pndr shoot in 2010.
                      Those last few rounds did have a lot of squares on them alright.

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                      But do the Air Corps have the capability to deliver, for example, a full battery and associated extras (protection/HQ/manpower/ammo) in one trip? Or is it more of a party trick? i.e. it can lift the guns, but lads and ammo have to get there via other means.
                      With a 105, its more the former, one heli for the gun, another for the crew.

With a 120 underslung in a net, one heli should manage the mortar, the crew and a limited supply ammo.

On the more general question of the future of Irish Arty, we are all expecting arty regts to be subsumed into a broader combat support regiment containing one bty of arty.
                      As to whether we need arty at all, you have to ask if we ever see the Irish DF involved in firefights of the scale of the Congo again. It is easy to get rid of arty but once the skills are gone, they are not that easy to reinstate.
                      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• I'd believe that in order to maintain the DF as a light infantry based all-arms force, light artillery is essential. I believe maintaining the all-arms capability is essential as it makes the DF (both at home and overseas) more flexible.

Remember like the Infantry, the PDF FARs were supposed to have an integrated RDF sub-unit (ie an RDF battery).

Arty also contributes to the ISTAR picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          I'd believe that in order to maintain the DF as a light infantry based all-arms force, light artillery is essential. I believe maintaining the all-arms capability is essential as it makes the DF (both at home and overseas) more flexible.

i would suggest that in the absence of either fast metal, or heavy metal, organic Artillery is even more important than it is for other PK/PE forces - in Chad, had the locals got a bit uppity, the French/Swedes/Austrians/pretty much everyone bar the Albanians and Slovenes had the ability to bring air power to bear. Irish troops didn't, and without their own Arty they would have relied on others to do the dirty deed - thats fine when the amount and distribution of 'uppity' falls within the existing force protection estimates, but when it doesn't you've got a problem, and one in which your only salvation is other countries who have their own national contingents to look after.

am i saying Ireland must have a dozen F-16C's bombed-up and ready to go? no, but i am saying that when the crap hits the fan, other coalition members may be forced to put their own needs ahead of yours, at which point having your own Bty of 105's on-scene could literally be a life-saver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                            We usually like to sit right in front of the FEntonsBAr
                            That's brilliant...
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• I'm with Ropebag on this. If you haven't even got a basic level of artillery, and I regard man-portable 60s and 81s as the bottom of the artillery rung, then you are wasting your time trying to be a modern Army, supposedly able to integrate with well-equipped European troops. Apart from that, if you already offer no heavy back-up to your footsoldiers, in the form of decent armour or air cover, the least you have to have on hand is a field gun or a heavy mortar. Incidentally, a heavy mortar, unless it's a 160mm, is no substitute for a good 155mm.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Lets be honest about this (and bear in mind we are strapped for cash and troops)

As Archimedes has pointed out, the Regiments will most probably be getting axed with a Battery being moved into a new Combat Support Regiment, 1 per Brigade.

Makes sense and presents are far more realistic picture of our actual capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X