Defence Forces Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces Artillery

I know a fair bit of this is opsec, but what can you guys tell me about our artillery units?

What's the make up for each brigade? It's all 105mm, right?

Originally posted by Napp View Post
    I know a fair bit of this is opsec, but what can you guys tell me about our artillery units?

What's the make up for each brigade? It's all 105mm, right?
    The DF website has a page on artillery.
    The Army is organised on conventional military lines providing a sufficiently flexible structure to carry out all the roles assigned by Government. The Army is a standing force and provides the primary capabilities for joint military operations at home and combined military Peace Support Operations abroad.

The artillery units are:
    1 Field Artillery Regiment
    2 Field Artillery Regiment
    4 Field Artillery Regiment
    1 Air Defence Regiment

Comment

Does the arty deploy overseas at all? Or can gunners just go over as riflemen?

Comment

They used to deploy 120mm Mortars to UNIFIL in the past.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

According to a fairly recent An Cosantoir article each PDF FAR has 1 heavy mortar battery and all RDF FARs are completed equipped with the 120.

In the past as Goldie says the artillery deployed the Brandt 120 with UNIFIL.

In the present, the gunners man the mortar platoon (81) overseas - in the same article there was talk of deploying the 120 again but not sure if it has been done

Comment

Got ya. Just looking at this - http://www.military.ie/army/weapons - it has the 81mm marked as a coy level weapon. At home, is it an infantry mans job?

Comment

The new 120s are deployed overseas

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
                Got ya. Just looking at this - http://www.military.ie/army/weapons - it has the 81mm marked as a coy level weapon. At home, is it an infantry mans job?
                No it doesn't.... it says 60 mortar is a coy level weapon and 81 is battalion level, all the weapons mentioned on that page are normally operated by the infantry.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  No it doesn't.... it says 60 mortar is a coy level weapon and 81 is battalion level, all the weapons mentioned on that page are normally operated by the infantry.
                  Artillery Regiments Also fire 81mm in 2 formats:

1. The Brandt LBLM 81mm

2. The 120mm\81mm MS ( RUAG M87)

An 81mm insert sub calibre barrel is slipped into the 120mm Barrel and fires 81mm

Comment

Originally posted by mercurydoc View Post
                    Artillery Regiments Also fire 81mm in 2 formats:

1. The Brandt LBLM 81mm

2. The 120mm\81mm MS ( RUAG M87)

An 81mm insert sub calibre barrel is slipped into the 120mm Barrel and fires 81mm
                    but aren't those weapons mortars not artillery?

so why are the artillery firing them and not the infantry?

i know gunners who would never resign themselves to be called mortarmen, and i know mortarmen who see themselves as far superior to gunners by being able to provide such close support to their infantry brothers.

i know it's just a name - but mortars are mortars, despite their larger calibre in some instances.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

A 120mm mortar is a poor mans 155mm, it is artillery and always has been in Ireland (although I think the French use it at battalion level).

The artillery train on the 81, as they man the mortar platoons overseas with the weapon (means that the infantry don't have to provide the personnel).

As mercurydoc says the RUAG 120 comes with a barrel insert that allows (cheaper) 81 rounds to be fired from a 120.

The infanty also man and fire the 81..... at home.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        The infanty also man and fire the 81..... at home.
                        doesn't that mean these should be the people manning and firing it overseas where it surely matters most?

why would anyone join the Mortar Platoon at home only to be replaced by a load of Gunners when on Operations?

train as you fight, fight as you train.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

is this to do with us not deploying atomic self sufficient companies and battalions overseas but rather building them ad hoc before deploying them?
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            doesn't that mean these should be the people manning and firing it overseas where it surely matters most?

why would anyone join the Mortar Platoon at home only to be replaced by a load of Gunners when on Operations?

train as you fight, fight as you train.
                            You don't get the choice which platoon, you go where you are sent, if you don't complete the weapon courses, you get sent elsewhere.
                            Is this another "BA are better" ramble?
                            If you want non mechanised infantry to lug about a 120mm mortar, its baseplate, tripod and ammo you need to have your head examined.
                            Unless you can show me british infantrymen who do it.

That said, there is an argument for making all artillery elements of a support company within an infantry bn. Buth thats a whole other story.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Is this another "BA are better" ramble?

If you want non mechanised infantry to lug about a 120mm mortar, its baseplate, tripod and ammo you need to have your head examined.
                              Unless you can show me british infantrymen who do it.
                              no Goldie - it's nothing to do with the British Army or what we do - it's about Mortars and the Artillery. Mortars are for Infantrymen, Artillery is for Gunners.

so i don't see why you have Infantrymen on the Mortars at home to be replaced by Gunners on Operations.

[edited to prevent any bitching]
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 September 2011, 14:20.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X