Defence Forces Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Excellent video but single force concept with no helmets or CEFO/battlevests?
    There is no spare battlevests to give to RDF, their CQs obviously preferred counting the CEFO & helmets in the stores instead of issuing them out!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Our unit have been enthusiastically issuing the old CBA (About time) and the old Soldier 95 pattn chest rigs in Irish DPM that I think they bought for the first few rotations to Liberia.

It's not perfect, but it makes a hell of a difference psychologically. Especially to troops in training.

But then I think our unit have been uniquely blessed in this re-org
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
        There is no spare battlevests to give to RDF, their CQs obviously preferred counting the CEFO & helmets in the stores instead of issuing them out!
        Who's stores? All RDF kit was transferred to PDF stores earlier this year.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Who's stores? All RDF kit was transferred to PDF stores earlier this year.
          It may be a "PDF store" now but all that's changed is the unit number over the door. There's still a box of Gustav BFAs in case you get confused and can't recognise where you are.

Comment

• And who do they belong to?

Given that the gustavs were all chopped in 2000.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Incorrect

I saw some in stores last year, having said that it also had 303s.

But they did have them in my former units stores post 2005 reorg.

Comment

And who do they belong to?

Presumably they now "belong" to our unit, or more likely they've always been in the store and nobody knows what to do with them. I'm merely pointing out the lack of change in the stores apart from the unit being renamed occasionally.

Comment

• Just from a H&S point of view those RDF troops should be in helmets and CBA.Their PDF counterparts should be in CBA also!!
                  Oh and who are this mythical "2 Artillery regiment"??No such unit in the DF.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                    Just from a H&S point of view those RDF troops should be in helmets and CBA.Their PDF counterparts should be in CBA also!!
                    What is the actual Unit name?

Comment

Just from a H&S point of view those RDF troops should be in helmets and CBA.Their PDF counterparts should be in CBA also!!
                      I think the DF is very slow to realise the going to jail nature of the H&S legislation in regards to **** ups.
                      Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Are they 2 FAR/2 AR/2 Bde Arty or what?

Comment

They are either 2 Bde Artillery Regt or 2 Artillery Regt (no Fd anymore)

Comment

• okay, can anyone point what H&S legislation the DF is exempt from? I doubt if H&S mentions body armour, somehow, which means it's a unit failure, ie, the Boss did not poke the Q in his belly button and demand body armour,etc,etc or it's just the usual Irish compromise, do ye want to fire or not??!!

regards
                          GttC

Comment

• At the moment the only h&s we have is safety boots, body armour would be more of a hindrance than a help, cos if the worst happened and there was an accident having body armor won't make a difference in the long run. at presant with the 120mm their is a higher risk of hand injures because the clamps are unforgiveing when being used, and you have to keep in mind not to close your hands around the clamp as you are closeing it or you could lose fingers, always close useing the palm of the hand. in regards to the helmets we don't normally wear them when firing but if we were wearing cefo we would have to wear them.

as far as i know it is 2 Bde Artillery Regt or 2 BAR.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              okay, can anyone point what H&S legislation the DF is exempt from? I doubt if H&S mentions body armour, somehow, which means it's a unit failure, ie, the Boss did not poke the Q in his belly button and demand body armour,etc,etc or it's just the usual Irish compromise, do ye want to fire or not??!!

regards
                              GttC
                              The DF is only exempt in civil emergencies, public order, security or an act of war and on "active service".

Comment

• I thought wearing helmets was compulsory when firing heavy weapons? back in the the 80s we had the old British "turtle" helmets when firing mortars and 84s. we had to wear the Rabintex helmet the whole time once it was issue in the DF.

regards
                                gttC

Comment

Working...
                                X