No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its 2 Brigade artillery regiment.Period.No other name.
    CBA a hindrance??Bollox.If their is a serious accident it could mean the difference between life and death.Same for the helmets.Any officer or SNCO who allows his or her troops to fire crew served weapons of that magnitude without them is guilty of dereliction of duty of care at best and negligent at worst.Safety first people!!
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      okay, can anyone point what H&S legislation the DF is exempt from? I doubt if H&S mentions body armour, somehow, which means it's a unit failure, ie, the Boss did not poke the Q in his belly button and demand body armour,etc,etc or it's just the usual Irish compromise, do ye want to fire or not??!!

regards
      GttC
      Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      The DF is only exempt in civil emergencies, public order, security or an act of war and on "active service".

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...l=1#post396443
      As ye say, there is NOT an exemption for the DF under the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, unless:

1. On ATCP
      2. On operations at sea
      3. When a state of war has been declared
      (and I've forgotten the last one, considering we only covered it last week.... :-O )
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the Acts of the Oireachtas (Parliament), Statutory Instruments, Legislation Directory, Constitution and a limited number of pre-1922 Acts.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
          Its 2 Brigade artillery regiment.Period.No other name.
          CBA a hindrance??Bollox.If their is a serious accident it could mean the difference between life and death.Same for the helmets.Any officer or SNCO who allows his or her troops to fire crew served weapons of that magnitude without them is guilty of dereliction of duty of care at best and negligent at worst.Safety first people!!
          Apod i can see where you are coming from with the CBA, but the difference is CBA is only rated for at most 7.62mm so would be no help if a crew had an accident. In the event of a fuse malfunction or an accidental double load of a mortar, unless the crew are wearing EOD body armour the chance of survival is slim to nil.

Comment

• Originally posted by dasa29 View Post
            Apod i can see where you are coming from with the CBA, but the difference is CBA is only rated for at most 7.62mm so would be no help if a crew had an accident. In the event of a fuse malfunction or an accidental double load of a mortar, unless the crew are wearing EOD body armour the chance of survival is slim to nil.
            What about bods out of the direct danger area but who are still at risk from shrapnel?
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• (2) Subject to section 11 , the relevant statutory provisions apply to members of the Defence Forces except when they are—

(a) on active service within the meaning of section 5 of the Defence Act 1954 or deemed to be on active service within the meaning of section 4 (1) of the Defence (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1960 ,

(b) engaged in action in the course of operational duties at sea,

(c) engaged in operations in aid to the civil power, or

(d) engaged in training directly associated with any of the activities specified in paragraph (a) to (c).

All military training could be construed as coming under (d).

Comment

• i know Buck but given the blast area of a 120mm round and that most bods will be within 50 to 100 metres of the direct danger area, the risk is not just the shrapnel but also the blast wave, and given the speed the shrapnel is moving i don't know if cba will help. Now i remember years ago when firing the brandt 120mm mortar that if one crew had a misfire all crews moved to a safe location till the misfire was sorted by the mortar crew and once things were safe all crews went back to their mortars.

Comment

• Originally posted by dasa29 View Post
                  i know Buck but given the blast area of a 120mm round and that most bods will be within 50 to 100 metres of the direct danger area, the risk is not just the shrapnel but also the blast wave, and given the speed the shrapnel is moving i don't know if cba will help. Now i remember years ago when firing the brandt 120mm mortar that if one crew had a misfire all crews moved to a safe location till the misfire was sorted by the mortar crew and once things were safe all crews went back to their mortars.
                  Fair one, I was only asking because I wasn't sure. But better safe than pregnant, surely?
                  I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                  Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                  Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                  And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                  With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                  He put a bullet through his brain.
                  And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                  Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                  Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                  The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• I know nothing about Mortars, But I would take my chances wearing CBA, then not. The same goes for the Helmet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                      (2) Subject to section 11 , the relevant statutory provisions apply to members of the Defence Forces except when they are—

(a) on active service within the meaning of section 5 of the Defence Act 1954 or deemed to be on active service within the meaning of section 4 (1) of the Defence (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1960 ,

(b) engaged in action in the course of operational duties at sea,

(c) engaged in operations in aid to the civil power, or

(d) engaged in training directly associated with any of the activities specified in paragraph (a) to (c).

All military training could be construed as coming under (d).

All training associated with (a) - (c) above - that was it...

Originally posted by dasa29 View Post
                      i know Buck but given the blast area of a 120mm round and that most bods will be within 50 to 100 metres of the direct danger area, the risk is not just the shrapnel but also the blast wave, and given the speed the shrapnel is moving i don't know if cba will help. Now i remember years ago when firing the brandt 120mm mortar that if one crew had a misfire all crews moved to a safe location till the misfire was sorted by the mortar crew and once things were safe all crews went back to their mortars.
                      Something a lot of people don't think about... being close enough to the blast wave would reduce your insides to pulp....
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• I agree with dasa; clearing the other crews away in the event of a misfire has been SOP since well before the 80s. If the rules say that CBA and lids are to be worn, then there are no exemptions. It's up to the Boss and the Q staff to make it happen.

regards
                        GttC

Comment

• IMHO you wont't find any reservists backwards if they tell you to wear the same kit as the PDF. THe only problem is when they wont issue the gear to you.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Is it a Q problem or a Boss problem? One has the stuff and won't issue it or one hasn't got the cop on to make it be issued? I remember an incident years ago when a Cork FCA sub-unit, promised new No1s for years, turned up at a formal parade in their ancient battledress/38 pattern kit. They looked like Dad's Army. Cue red faces and shouts all round; didn't take long to get fitted out.........same happened in the Don a few times when it came to transferring gear out to Baldonnel. Some of our senior people had to make very rude and public noises in Parkgate street for things to happen.

regards
                            GttC

Comment

• Apart from that, can someone explain why the guns aren't bedded down with sandbags? I was surprised to see them jump so much when fired.

regards
                              GttC

Comment

• CO's and SNCO's should refuse to fire unless their people have proper PPE.It would be found then.trust me.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X