Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  171
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose the point of 120mm mortars, regardless of who actually fires them, is that compared to a field gun, they are cheap, quick to set up and dismount, require less maintenance, spare parts and cheap to train on and cheap to fire as well as having a credible fire effect. Short range doesn't really matter if there is a longer-ranged weapon as the back up. I don't understand why the DF don't bring the 105s on tour, though.
    Any thoughts on 155s?

regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGnr View Post
    I heard the 2 FAR are the unofficial elite of the Arty .
    No. Its an oxymoron.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    I suppose the point of 120mm mortars, regardless of who actually fires them, is that compared to a field gun, they are cheap, quick to set up and dismount, require less maintenance, spare parts and cheap to train on and cheap to fire as well as having a credible fire effect. Short range doesn't really matter if there is a longer-ranged weapon as the back up. I don't understand why the DF don't bring the 105s on tour, though.
    Any thoughts on 155s?

regards
    GttC
    Probably unnecessary and we couldn't afford them anyway, but if the DF were going to pick one, maybe something lightweight like the M777?

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    No. Its an oxymoron.
    Oxymoron, how so ?
    The 2FAR have a reputation for being the quickest into action, quickest set up etc out of all the other Regiments, I have witnessed it myself.
    Not to mention in the Infantry role they have a much higher representation of trained snipers per head than any other unit in the Army, besides the A.R.W that is.

So unofficially at least they would be elite Arty in comparison to other Arty regiments in the PDF.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oxymoron, how so ?
    The 2FAR have a reputation for being the quickest into action, quickest set up etc out of all the other Regiments, I have witnessed it myself.
    Not to mention in the Infantry role they have a much higher representation of trained snipers per head than any other unit in the Army, besides the A.R.W that is.

So unofficially at least they would be elite Arty in comparison to other Arty regiments in the PDF.
    2 Fuck All Running aren't the elite of anything.

As for the sniper thing, numbers don't mean much. How many members of that unit instruct on the Basic Sniper Cse that runs in the East?
    Last edited by Hello Alaska; 24th September 2011 at 18:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oxymoron, how so ?

elite artillery is an oxymoron.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the 2 FAR are the unofficial elite of the Arty .
    Nah. The hint is in the unit designator 2.

If you want real elite that would be 1 Battery of 1FAR. Do u see the hint!!!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oxymoron, how so ?

Horse Radish!

The most elite arty trained pers. are they guys off the most recent course, shit hot, up to date with international practices and SOPs and trained by the best in the DF at Artillery ... ie 'das skool'

An when the next course is on they'l have adapted and made something better again! As for the sniper thing, ah sher the arty have FOOs and there as well trained and double as snipers!

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since when do gunners require snipers? I thought all they needed was someone who could add without taking his socks off, someone who could drive and someone who could read, preferably in one human body (but not always essential) as well as someone to bring up the deckchairs and cold drinks, artillerism being such a heavy workload...
    regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Nowt wrong with the dropshorts, they serve a purpose!
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Since when do gunners require snipers? I thought all they needed was someone who could add without taking his socks off, someone who could drive and someone who could read, preferably in one human body (but not always essential) as well as someone to bring up the deckchairs and cold drinks, artillerism being such a heavy workload...
    regards
    GttC
    Tradition, Going back to the shelling of the fore courts when one gun crew

started to fire at a sniper up on the dome. Shells went through the copper

and landed to near for comfort at the viceroys lodge in the Phoenix

park.http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...lies/happy.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Book due out on Irish DF Artillery from Ralph Riccio due towrd end of year, same quality as the Armour book I believe, should answer all the questions.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Tradition, Going back to the shelling of the fore courts when one gun crew

started to fire at a sniper up on the dome. Shells went through the copper

and landed to near for comfort at the viceroys lodge in the Phoenix

park.http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...lies/happy.gif
    Biggest danger to a gunner in battle is a sniper. Having your own must be the best defence. Elite Artillary sounds better than Elite Transport.
    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel decker View Post
    Biggest danger to a gunner in battle is a sniper. Having your own must be the best defence. Elite Artillary sounds better than Elite Transport.
    the biggest danger to a gunner in battle is enemy artillery, with fast-air and helicopter gunships coming a close second.

enemy snipers are way down the list.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 26th September 2011 at 21:11.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel decker View Post
    Elite Transport is a truck outfit in the UK.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oxymoron, how so ?

That didn't help them in this years all army sniper competition................

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    That didn't help them in this years all army sniper competition................
    Sgt ****** ***** 2 FAR is one of the best snipers in the DF, trains the DF team too or did!!

There always jivin amongst the Arty and the infantry in the DF, lazy this lazy that... ask a yank or brit bout the arty and they'l kiss there feet for saving them with covering fire from miles away!!!

Also firefinder can make it possible for Counter Battery Fire in 90 seconds

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanachie View Post
    Book due out on Irish DF Artillery from Ralph Riccio due towrd end of year, same quality as the Armour book I believe, should answer all the questions.
    Dear Santa....

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    the biggest danger to a gunner in battle is enemy artillery, with fast-air and helicopter gunships coming a close second.

enemy snipers are way down the list.
    All of which are dependent upon a lot of things, the list and the level of threat from any specific enemy on that list are likely to move up or down dependent on the theatre of war and enemy capabilities.

So enemy Sniper's would certainly in the top 5 to 3 potential threats. IMO

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have the DF artillery ever fired in anger since WW II?

regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Do 120mm Illums count?

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have the DF artillery ever fired in anger since WW II?
    I presume that's a reference to AA guns?

Leaving that aside, have the DF artillery ever fired in anger since the Civil War?

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    I presume that's a reference to AA guns?

Leaving that aside, have the DF artillery ever fired in anger since the Civil War?
    Have any section of the PDF done anything in anger since the civil war ?

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I said since. I know the AA fired during the Emergency at unidentified aircraft. GF's answer suggests that they did, as firing flares would constitute an operational use of a weapon in a warzone.

regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    also why dont they deploy the L118/9's overseas and only the 120's?

I believe weve only got a smallish number of them anyway, but surely these arent too expensive to purchase?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Thread Information