Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExGnr View Post
    Oxymoron, how so ?
    The 2FAR have a reputation for being the quickest into action, quickest set up etc out of all the other Regiments, I have witnessed it myself.
    Not to mention in the Infantry role they have a much higher representation of trained snipers per head than any other unit in the Army, besides the A.R.W that is.

So unofficially at least they would be elite Arty in comparison to other Arty regiments in the PDF.
    elite artillery is an oxymoron.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I heard the 2 FAR are the unofficial elite of the Arty .
      Nah. The hint is in the unit designator 2.

If you want real elite that would be 1 Battery of 1FAR. Do u see the hint!!!

Comment

Oxymoron, how so ?
        The 2FAR have a reputation for being the quickest into action, quickest set up etc out of all the other Regiments, I have witnessed it myself.
        Not to mention in the Infantry role they have a much higher representation of trained snipers per head than any other unit in the Army, besides the A.R.W that is.

So unofficially at least they would be elite Arty in comparison to other Arty regiments in the PDF.
        Horse Radish!

The most elite arty trained pers. are they guys off the most recent course, shit hot, up to date with international practices and SOPs and trained by the best in the DF at Artillery ... ie 'das skool'

An when the next course is on they'l have adapted and made something better again! As for the sniper thing, ah sher the arty have FOOs and there as well trained and double as snipers!

Comment

Since when do gunners require snipers? I thought all they needed was someone who could add without taking his socks off, someone who could drive and someone who could read, preferably in one human body (but not always essential) as well as someone to bring up the deckchairs and cold drinks, artillerism being such a heavy workload...
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Nowt wrong with the dropshorts, they serve a purpose!
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Since when do gunners require snipers? I thought all they needed was someone who could add without taking his socks off, someone who could drive and someone who could read, preferably in one human body (but not always essential) as well as someone to bring up the deckchairs and cold drinks, artillerism being such a heavy workload...
              regards
              GttC
              Tradition, Going back to the shelling of the fore courts when one gun crew

started to fire at a sniper up on the dome. Shells went through the copper

and landed to near for comfort at the viceroys lodge in the Phoenix

park.http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...lies/happy.gif

Comment

Book due out on Irish DF Artillery from Ralph Riccio due towrd end of year, same quality as the Armour book I believe, should answer all the questions.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  Tradition, Going back to the shelling of the fore courts when one gun crew

started to fire at a sniper up on the dome. Shells went through the copper

and landed to near for comfort at the viceroys lodge in the Phoenix

park.http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...lies/happy.gif
                  Biggest danger to a gunner in battle is a sniper. Having your own must be the best defence. Elite Artillary sounds better than Elite Transport.

Comment

Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
                    Biggest danger to a gunner in battle is a sniper. Having your own must be the best defence. Elite Artillary sounds better than Elite Transport.
                    the biggest danger to a gunner in battle is enemy artillery, with fast-air and helicopter gunships coming a close second.

enemy snipers are way down the list.
                    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 26 September 2011, 21:11.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
                      Elite Transport is a truck outfit in the UK.

Comment

Oxymoron, how so ?

That didn't help them in this years all army sniper competition................

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                          That didn't help them in this years all army sniper competition................
                          Sgt ****** ***** 2 FAR is one of the best snipers in the DF, trains the DF team too or did!!

There always jivin amongst the Arty and the infantry in the DF, lazy this lazy that... ask a yank or brit bout the arty and they'l kiss there feet for saving them with covering fire from miles away!!!

Also firefinder can make it possible for Counter Battery Fire in 90 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Seanachie View Post
                            Book due out on Irish DF Artillery from Ralph Riccio due towrd end of year, same quality as the Armour book I believe, should answer all the questions.
                            Dear Santa....

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              the biggest danger to a gunner in battle is enemy artillery, with fast-air and helicopter gunships coming a close second.

enemy snipers are way down the list.
                              All of which are dependent upon a lot of things, the list and the level of threat from any specific enemy on that list are likely to move up or down dependent on the theatre of war and enemy capabilities.

So enemy Sniper's would certainly in the top 5 to 3 potential threats. IMO

Comment

Have the DF artillery ever fired in anger since WW II?

regards
                                GttC

Comment

Working...
                                X