Defence Forces Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExGnr View Post
    No bother, I'm sure the Queen of England can sleep soundly at night knowing they are oiled and pulled back regularly.
    thanks very much, i hear we might be offloading some AS90's at a good price soon, fill your boots.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      thanks very much, i hear we might be offloading some AS90's at a good price soon, fill your boots.
      Considering how much use the L118 gets versus the AS90 in the British Army, I'd say that they would be willing to swap us AS90s for our L118s.

The L118 is an engineering masterpiece and ideal for a small corps such as ourselves.
      Whoever came up with the name "Artillery System for the 1990s" must be feeling a bit silly by now.
      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

on a side note all our postal bags are royal mail bags also with a big crown coat of arms on them.....did we ever really gain independence ?
        Incorrect, not all.... do you think that when post comes here from the UK it doesn't come in a bag and is then not reused?

Originally posted by northie View Post
        Yep, they still have the royal cypher or coat of arms. A few have seen action before in their previous service....

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
        Considering how much use the L118 gets versus the AS90 in the British Army, I'd say that they would be willing to swap us AS90s for our L118s.

The L118 is an engineering masterpiece and ideal for a small corps such as ourselves.
        Whoever came up with the name "Artillery System for the 1990s" must be feeling a bit silly by now.
        According to this site (http://www.deagel.com/Towed-Guns/105...000727001.aspx) we got 12 from the UK in 1998. Chances are these were L119s (not L118s) would these have seen action?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Incorrect, not all.... do you think that when post comes here from the UK it doesn't come in a bag and is then not reused?
          Over 90% of the postal bags in Ireland are Royal Mail crested bags.
          I have worked in An Post briefly and it is a well known fact that the vast majority of all mail bags used in our system are Royal mail.

Comment

Who cares. We were happy enough to use their 25-pdrs for long enough, complete with WD marks, so a few crests on modern wepaons are okay,too.

regards
            GttC

Comment

who cares!

buy more

deploy them overseas

i believe in chad there were 105s providing support in the shared irish base - they werent irish though?? [edit - appears i was prob wrong, but i know we had a discussion about it here before somewhere!]
              Last edited by morpheus; 29 September 2011, 10:58.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                Who cares. We were happy enough to use their 25-pdrs for long enough, complete with WD marks, so a few crests on modern wepaons are okay,too.

regards
                GttC
                But it shouldn't be ok, we should have our own guns with our own crests on our weapons and we should have a bit of pride in our Nation, what ever happened to patriotism.

Foreign crested guns in our military Just smacks of the butter for guns reputation the Irish Military have in regard weaponry.

Comment

But it shouldn't be ok, we should have our own guns with our own crests on our weapons and we should have a bit of pride in our Nation, what ever happened to patriotism.

Foreign crested guns in our military Just smacks of the butter for guns reputation the Irish Military have in regard weaponry.
                  Yeah lets get rid of all things foreign in our Defence Forces;

The Steyr is now to be called - the Micko Rifle,

What crest did your ira mates have on the mortars the killed innocent civilians with,

your ira mates didnt mind using AK's or did they inscribe a harp on them.
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Yes, shame on us importing second hand guns from another country

baby killing guns no less from the oppressors no less

im sure the clause was that we had to leave the crests on the guns

fe*k that lads, ive an idea

as well as making UAVs out of kit RC planes,

Im starting up an irish gun company

We can use wavin pipes for barrels

my da is handy with a welder so he can make the carriages

we can steal the wheels of dunnes stores trolleys (cant use tescos, theyre british *spit*)

I need a voluteer with a steady hand to paint the crests on though...

anyone like to step forward and make the gunpowder and ammunition in my garden shed?

"No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Can we call the steyr the staighre

ha ha.. actually, can we call it the Paddy Popper!

Comment

MOD: Back to the thread!

Comment

crests

I assumed the crests arose as the guns were made by the Royal Ordinance works not due to Crown use which a WD mark would arise.
                          Anyway your forebears in 1922 were more than glad to have Royal Arty 18 pounders to raise the Four Courts and later bombard Waterford.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                            I assumed the crests arose as the guns were made by the Royal Ordinance works not due to Crown use which a WD mark would arise.
                            Thats probably the reason.
                            The USPs have a German eagle stamped on them.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                              Anyway your forebears in 1922 were more than glad to have Royal Arty 18 pounders to raise the Four Courts and later bombard Waterford.
                              Yes, the Guns were made by the then Royal Ordnance which as a state owned industry would have carried the coat of arms of the Monarch. Louis XIV had "Ultima ratio regum - The Ultimate Arguement of Kings" on the Royal Armys guns. Not sure about Bonaparte, though he was a gunner himself.

Must double check the USP, however I think they have an antler like design on them - a proof mark showing the manufacturers guarantee of quality. In an interesting aside, one of the earliest versions of this was pioneered by Wilkinson Sword - they had had a proof mark consisting of a bronze slug at the base of their swords surrounded by two interlocking triangles (looks much like the star of david) as proof that a blade had been subjected to a number of tests ensuring it would stand up to the rigours of combat, including a deflection of 5 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                                I think they have an antler like design on them
                                Yes, there's an antler stamped onto them as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X