Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the new system looks a lot better, the hip pads do offer a lot more support

Comment

A fully modular vest with pouchs interchangeable with a set of PLCE would be ideal however the Lowe Alpine Saracen is not compatible with PLCE due to the large padded belt, But I would think the cost of all these pouchs combined with the cost of new MOLLE PLCE and a full MOLLE PLCE system could be deemed too expensive!
      Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        Personally MadraMor, I think you're in danger of repeating the mistakes that the DF have already made. Rather than just looking at PLCE belt kit and/or redesigning a backpack, you should take a holistic approach to load carriage altogether.

Everything we carry should be capable of integrating with everything else we carry, whilst being a standalone item also.

Modular body armour, belt kit, daysack, 72 hour pack should be designed to fit comfortably together. The integrated pouches should be designed for the specific kit we carry too, comms, IWS, breaching tools, spare MG barrels etc.

No point designing a Gucci daysack, and then it doesn't integrate with your main pack, trust me
        Your absolutely spot on there..... At the minute i am in the middle of the concept generation stage and the further I go the clearer it is that simply redesigning a bergen or daysack isnt the solution.
        Some of the concepts I have created take a "blue sky" approach to load carrying, weight distribution, access and sectionalising of kit. Others I created look at the idea of multi stage carrying systems where the user can very quickly change the load being carried to suit the task at hand.

Your idea of a system designed around the equipment and work being done is very good and one which I tried to tackle in other concepts.

In relation to your query about where the project work can be viewed. I do have a blog with a good bit of work on it however it is private and for assesment purposes. This thread was mainly set up to get feedback of users interaction with the current kit but i would be willing to allow a few helpful individuals (such as yourself) to take a look and give feedback. Just PM me and I can give you the details.

Comment

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
          Seems strange to me that the OP first claims to not know much about the army but suddenly knows how the Df, BA and the USF all deploy operationally

Also initially he was redesigning the system for the DF (just after we bought them, these are going nowhere foa min of 15 years) now hes just looking for constructive criticism of the IPLC pack for a personal project .... Things dont add up for me
          My knowledge of this subject is constantly growing as a result of research and talking to operational soldiers in the forces mentioned. Initially I entered into the project with limited knowledge and its even in forums like this that I am picking up information.
          I'd like to dispurse any suspicion right now.... Yes this is a personal project, not in conjunction with any company or military organisation. The idea of collecting information on a recent and current issue (such as the DF main pack) is my attempt to highlight the below par nature of kit still being used in present day despite the amount of good design on offer worldwide. From further feedback I intend to take suggestions from soldiers on factors that have been ignored in equipment solutions and create an all new system. This solution will attempt to be designed for the soldier by the soldier, from an outside view looking into your world I can see areas where the kit does not work in its environment. From just this thread I have identified areas where soldiers seem to be underwhelmed by the current product and as the conversation develops and hopefully stays on point I can see alot of quality points being inculded on the new design.

I want to be as open as possible with you all. If you have any more questions or suspicions please make contact!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            Good book.I have it too.

I always wore my full PLCE wherever i went no matter what duty.We were never asked to strip it down.

100% bang on.

Could you please tell me what information or experience you are basing this opinion on??
            I have deployed overseas twice using a semi modular vest and it worked just fine.In fact it was because of the general nature of our "deployments "overseas IE APC and Heli borne and our ATCP duties at home IE CIT that we changed to the vest system we have now.
            My only crib with our IPLCS is that there isnt ENOUGH MOLLE!
            We could do with a better variety of pouches for our vests and MOLLE on the Patrol pack and Bergen would be handy too.
            Im referring to the MOLLE main packs not the semi-modular vests currently in use by the Irish DF. The Battle Vest works reasonably well compared to the old webbing.

Please dont think im totally ignorant to the move to MOLLE for patrol packs/day sacks and PLCE Webbing kits. But like I said above I am looking at the Bergen/Main Pack. Am I still a million miles off????

Comment

Working...
            X