Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
    Why do you think that?
    The one set up should cover all roles, the only pouch you should need to be removable is the respirator pouch.
    Well, with the PLCE in the past, a reduced form of it was worm when going on guard duty, as against
    the full rig when worn on ex's, etc

Dunno if this has carried over to the IPLCS or not
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      Well, with the PLCE in the past, a reduced form of it was worm when going on guard duty, as against

With the battle vest the ammo and utility pouches are permanently attached so you can't remove them.

Comment

With the battle vest the ammo and utility pouches are permanently attached so you can't remove them.
        Oh ? I would have thought that defeats the idea of a modular vest ?
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Only the grenade, 203 and admin pouches are MOLLE.
          There would be no need to remove the ammo or utility pouches anyway.

Comment

It's a semi-modular vest.

People who don't like MOLLE are people who can't put it together properly.
            Last edited by spaceghetti; 22 October 2011, 04:32.

Comment

Seems strange to me that the OP first claims to not know much about the army but suddenly knows how the Df, BA and the USF all deploy operationally

Also initially he was redesigning the system for the DF (just after we bought them, these are going nowhere foa min of 15 years) now hes just looking for constructive criticism of the IPLC pack for a personal project .... Things dont add up for me

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                DM I have a great book called Battle Rattle I must drop you over some time covers this stuff in some detail.
                Good book.I have it too.

I always wore my full PLCE wherever i went no matter what duty.We were never asked to strip it down.

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                It's a semi-modular vest.

People who don't like MOLLE are people who can't put it together properly.
                100% bang on.
                However this as a method of personal load carrying does not suit the Irish or British method of operational deployment.
                Could you please tell me what information or experience you are basing this opinion on??
                I have deployed overseas twice using a semi modular vest and it worked just fine.In fact it was because of the general nature of our "deployments "overseas IE APC and Heli borne and our ATCP duties at home IE CIT that we changed to the vest system we have now.
                My only crib with our IPLCS is that there isnt ENOUGH MOLLE!
                We could do with a better variety of pouches for our vests and MOLLE on the Patrol pack and Bergen would be handy too.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Personally MadraMor, I think you're in danger of repeating the mistakes that the DF have already made. Rather than just looking at PLCE belt kit and/or redesigning a backpack, you should take a holistic approach to load carriage altogether.

Everything we carry should be capable of integrating with everything else we carry, whilst being a standalone item also.

Modular body armour, belt kit, daysack, 72 hour pack should be designed to fit comfortably together. The integrated pouches should be designed for the specific kit we carry too, comms, IWS, breaching tools, spare MG barrels etc.

No point designing a Gucci daysack, and then it doesn't integrate with your main pack, trust me
                  Last edited by SwiftandSure; 22 October 2011, 11:00.

Comment

BTW, how exactly do you plan on testing your kit? Will you be posting up your prototypes?

From a design point of view, not being in the military will make it difficult for you to gauge exactly what's best on load carriage equipment as you've never spent weeks on end living in the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                      Seems strange to me that the OP first claims to not know much about the army but suddenly knows how the Df, BA and the USF all deploy operationally

Also initially he was redesigning the system for the DF (just after we bought them, these are going nowhere foa min of 15 years) now hes just looking for constructive criticism of the IPLC pack for a personal project .... Things dont add up for me
                      I dunno about that, after the NBG last year the reviews of the Battlevest and Backpack have been way less than impressive,amongst other kit. It's simply not uptp scratch. It's already been advised that new kit should be trialled.

If it survives 15 years right across the DF, I'd be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                        I dunno about that, after the NBG last year the reviews of the Battlevest and Backpack have been way less than impressive,amongst other kit. It's simply not uptp scratch. It's already been advised that new kit should be trialled.

If it survives 15 years right across the DF, I'd be surprised.
                        They should have gone with a MOLLE system from the get go. Its readily available, there are hundreds of different types of pouches out there too making it easily customisable for whatever role somebody may be put into. The only thing getting it made in DPM, but that is not a huge issue either.

The bottom line here seems to be that they spend a lot of money buying everything from Lowe Alpine, and don't get me wrong, I like Lowe Alpine gear, but in this case the kit they got is not up to the standard required for the job. IPLCS could well be a costly F Up for the DF if the entire system is going to have to be replaced in the next few years.

Re the OP on this thread, seems to me that you are trying to reinvent the wheel a little bit here. PLCE is a good system, but it does have flaws. Making the pouches and belt on the old PLCE set up with MOLLE strapping would have been the way to go for PLCE to survive. Other issues with PLCE were it was a pain in the arse when operating out of vehicles, however you could crawl with it without pouches being in the way.
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Will the DF have the money to triall/buy new kit?? AGS is even running out of car's at this stage.
                          Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                            don't get me wrong, I like Lowe Alpine gear, but in this case the kit they got is not up to the standard required for the job.
                            The Lowe Alpine stuff was up to the standard for the job - it was the job that was wrong. Lowe Alpine supplied good quality civvie equipment painted DPM. It wasn't designed for Military use (except the battlevest). It is off the shelf stuff.

The one set up should cover all roles, the only pouch you should need to be removable is the respirator pouch.
                            I will assume you mean the large Utility pouch as PLCE has to be partly stripped down to allow the respirator pouch to be removed. I customised my PLCE to have 2 Respirator pouches rather than the large Utility as I found it too big, and clumsy to work with. I do use the Large Utility Pouch as a Respirator pouch as that is what the original was designed for.

I'm using the Irish names for everything not the British

ie this is the Irish Respirator Pouch - I hate those blasted C hoops as they never stay in place
                            Last edited by Docman; 23 October 2011, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                              I will assume you mean the large Utility pouch as PLCE has to be partly stripped down to allow the respirator pouch to be removed. I customised my PLCE to have 2 Respirator pouches rather than the large Utility as I found it too big, and clumsy to work with. I do use the Large Utility Pouch as a Respirator pouch as that is what the original was designed for.

I'm using the Irish names for everything not the British
                              Your naming of the pouches is different from what I always used.

The respirator pouch was what I think your calling the Large Utility Pouch.
                              I always wore it separate around my waist over my left thigh but if you wanted to attach it to the CEFO belt if I remember correctly it had a flap at the rear with two press studs so it could be removed quickly without stripping down your CEFO.

What your calling the Respirator Pouch was the utility pouch.

Yes the C hoops were shit but cable ties were the cure.

Comment

In the DF PLCE waterbottle & respirator pouches are similar to the pic Docman posted. The utility pouch is this: http://www.protac.ie/store/index.php...ouch-used.html

Comment

Working...
                                X