No announcement yet.

New PLCE Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was the respirator pouch seen here attached to the rear of the CEFO belt.

Attached Files

Comment

Rhodes in the DF the pouch in your left hand is either a respirator or water bottle pouch (they are very similar), the large pouch that most in the middle is known as the utility pouch.

Its in the manual!

Comment

Lads ye are all correct.
        The large Utility pouch was a bastardised version of the S10 respirator haversack found on UK PLCE.The differences were the spanish type fastener and no fitting for the respirator on the inside ala the UK model.TM201 had us carrying all kinds of shite in it that made the webbing rear heavy when not carrying magazines up front.It also bounced all over the place when running.
        Over time and with input from lads who did the UK PSBC soldiers started to bin the "large utility pouch " in favour of extra water or utility pouches.After 9/11 when CBRN made a resurgance in importance in the DF the lads who we sent to the UK to do the CBRN instructor course came back and started enforcing the use of the "Large utility pouch" for what it was originally intended to do.Carry a respirator.
        Reason being that the Irish respirator pouch was to narrow to fit a GS86 Resi with canister fitted,thus defeating the chemical safety rule.The introduction of the FM 12 resi into service with its side mounted canister sealed the deal.

Nowadays we use the new dropleg respirator pouch and it too is a disaster.Too narrow to fit a Resi with canister fitted without causing warping of the faceblank and no pockets for Decon kit.Despite those pockets being requested as part to the tender.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Back when i was in the Mil Col we were issued with 2 x ammo pouch, 1x waterbottle pouch, 2 x "respirator" pouches and a utility pouch.

Utility pouch was for respirator and respirator pouches were for rations and what have you. The general conscencious (spelling) was that there was a balls up when labelling them in the factory and manual followed suit or maybe visa versa.

I never trusted the c clamps or the button fastners so i always cable tied the pouches as well and ran a bungy through the front of the pouches under the fastners as tight as i coul as that stopped anything rattling.

As side note, we were made write letters to the parents of our buddy if there was a rattle, basically outlining how jonny was a great soldier but died because the rattle from my gear alerted the enemy to our location :lol:

Comment

No balls up.
            Ordnance corps ordered the UK Respirator pouch from CQC Ltd without all the fitting as the method of carrying the respirator at the time was in a button fastened cloth pouch that came with the GS86 respirator attached to the 58 Ptn webbing.The powers that be saw no reason to change the way we carried them as at the time CBRN or NBC was pretty much a "dark art" in the DF.Respirators were for ATCP.And that was that.
            So what we got to carry our respirator in was in actual fact what the BA designed as a Utility pouch.
            All of this stemmed from the practice at the time of carrying your filter still in its wrapper in the pouch but not fitted(obviously) as opening the wrapper was a hangable offence with the Q staff!The wisdom being(or lack of it) was that if you opened the wrapper the filter was U/S after a while and would be no good when the hordes of fantasian paratroopers started landing.
            Total codswallop of course.
            Nowadays what we teach is more up to speed,thank christ.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              All of this stemmed from the practice at the time of carrying your filter still in its wrapper in the pouch but not fitted(obviously) as opening the wrapper was a hangable offence with the Q staff!

The wisdom being(or lack of it) was that if you opened the wrapper the filter was U/S after a while and would be no good when the hordes of fantasian paratroopers started landing.
              Total codswallop of course.

Nowadays what we teach is more up to speed,thank christ.
              Interesting. That is the teaching in my workplace - once the respirator comes
              out of the packaging, it is a one time use only, and must be used once unsealed

What is the DF teaching on this ?
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

you do carry your respirator pouches independently of the rest of your PLCE right - i.e. not attached?

(i was just wondering - don't worry i CBA arguing the case on it)
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 October 2011, 20:55.
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Over time and with input from lads who did the UK PSBC soldiers started to bin the "large utility pouch " in favour of extra water or utility pouches.After 9/11 when CBRN made a resurgance in importance in the DF the lads who we sent to the UK to do the CBRN instructor course came back and started enforcing the use of the "Large utility pouch" for what it was originally intended to do.Carry a respirator.
                  What I have seen during the odd RDF course where CBRN training is done is to have the Large utility pouch belt used as a separate belt and tied around the waist before the webbing is put on, almost as like a LARGE drop leg pouch. The idea being that you can remove your webbing and still carry your respirator. But that is PLCE not IPLCS.

Comment

How many years have I been a member here and a page of genuine sense makes up for several containers of shite,
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      How many years have I been a member here and a page of genuine sense makes up for several containers of shite,
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                        They should have gone with a MOLLE system from the get go. Its readily available, there are hundreds of different types of pouches out there too making it easily customisable for whatever role somebody may be put into. The only thing getting it made in DPM, but that is not a huge issue either.

The bottom line here seems to be that they spend a lot of money buying everything from Lowe Alpine, and don't get me wrong, I like Lowe Alpine gear, but in this case the kit they got is not up to the standard required for the job. IPLCS could well be a costly F Up for the DF if the entire system is going to have to be replaced in the next few years.
                        Had they gone with the Molle system, since most of them are plate carrier systems, they would've saved money instead of having to buy seperate CBA too.

Backpack straps are snapping under the weight they're carrying, same goes for daysacks, buckles are snapping all over the place, can't be worn properly with CBA. It doesn't even stop at IPLCS anymore, since the DF's experiences on the NBG it's now been decided that the Haix are so not upto the job that it's now a Health and Safety issue.

Something is going to have to be done.

Originally posted by tonyrdf View Post
                        Will the DF have the money to triall/buy new kit?? AGS is even running out of car's at this stage.
                        They're going to have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                          Backpack straps are snapping under the weight they're carrying, same goes for daysacks, buckles are snapping all over the place, can't be worn properly with CBA. It doesn't even stop at IPLCS anymore, since the DF's experiences on the NBG it's now been decided that the Haix are so not upto the job that it's now a Health and Safety issue.
                          Whats so wrong with the haix, is it a problem unique to the crazy cold temperatures the NBG trainied in or a wider problem? I thought they were on par with meindls but not as good as lowas? I was going to get a pair to replace my knackered meindls which I dont even think are that great a boot.
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                            Whats so wrong with the haix, is it a problem unique to the crazy cold temperatures the NBG trainied in or a wider problem? I thought they were on par with meindls but not as good as lowas? I was going to get a pair to replace my knackered meindls which I dont even think are that great a boot.
                            Part of it was to do with the cold, however it was also down lack of waterproofing, poor ankle support and lack of grip on the soles.

It's been recommended that they're to be replaced with Lowa's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                              Part of it was to do with the cold, however it was also down lack of waterproofing, poor ankle support and lack of grip on the soles.

It's been recommended that they're to be replaced with Lowa's.
                              Fair enough.
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

but in the old boot tender that HAIX won wasn't it decided that the LOWA GTXs were too expensive ?
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X