Medicine on the Frontline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicine on the Frontline

A new two-part TV series starts this weekend about front line medicine and looks at how UK military medics in Afghanistan have achieved the highest survival rate of casualties in the history of warfare.

The programme, to be aired on BBC2 on Sunday night, is presented by award-winning journalist and former doctor Michael Mosley.

It looks at how war accelerates medical research, how the current conflict in Afghanistan is contributing to the future of medicine and how these developments enhance medical care.

The first programme, subtitled 'Survival', highlights British achievements and the documentary makers were given extensive access to both staff and patients in the main hospital at Camp Bastion, the main British base in Helmand province.

read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017ld7n

should be another great program, recognising the achievements and progress made in Rod and Serpents line of work.

Frontline Medicine will be shown on BBC2 on 20 and 27 November 2011 at 2100hrs.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Looks interesting.

Comment

Cheers RGJ. Sky plussed as im on nights this weekend.
      Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

i'm not medical but i'm looking forward to it myself.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Was putting a creel on a 4x4 one time when the guy opposite lost his grip, causing my finger to be crushed between the creel and a metal plate After the painful extraction i went to the army hospital The medic on duty told me the doctor was on break and to blow on it. Charming

Comment

Originally posted by boy in blue View Post
            Was putting a creel on a 4x4 one time when the guy opposite lost his grip, causing my finger to be crushed between the creel and a metal plate After the painful extraction i went to the army hospital The medic on duty told me the doctor was on break and to blow on it. Charming
            well i hope you entered the occurrence on the Accident Register and got well compensated for it.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              well i hope you entered the occurrence on the Accident Register and got well compensated for it.
              accident register there was no such thing in the Irish army
              By the way rgj just had a great drink with ex green jacket guys

Comment

Originally posted by boy in blue View Post
                accident register there was no such thing in the Irish army

I think you need to read regulations - there is quite a lot involved in it. Check out an AF401.
                Also, there is a compensation scheme for accidents in the RDF.

Comment

It was an excellent show last night, seen a few faces whom I recognise.
                  Last edited by rod and serpent; 21 November 2011, 18:32.

Comment

Available here

Michael Mosley looks at the medical advances driven by the conflict in Afghanistan.

Comment

Watched it on iPlayer. Very interesting, your chances of survival in a field hospital such as Bastion's is better than an NHS hospital over here!!!

Comment

That blond medic looks hot,and those gloves ooo
                        Oops ,sorry got a little carried away

Comment

Very good programme. I'm amazed at how much things have moved on since my day.

The resources would put any A&E or trauma centre in the UK to shame, although I suppose that may have a lot to do with not having to divert resources to treat several hundred drunks every weekend!

I was really surprised at the way they were using blood. It was the exact opposite to the use of it when I was involved in that area 8-10 years ago, and the whole emphasis was on using the minimum possible.
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                          X