No announcement yet.

Lee Enfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does being in the DF go for/against/have no effect on being a gun owner?
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Given that a Chief refused a serving Garda a pistol licence, I don't think being in the DF would make a difference.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
        Given that a Chief refused a serving Garda a pistol licence, I don't think being in the DF would make a difference.
        It makes a small difference when you first apply .you may not need to do a competency course.

Comment

Originally posted by rhino View Post
          It makes a small difference when you first apply .you may not need to do a competency course.
          Not the case. Everyone needs to do a competency course. More so for those with military training. Remember you have the "Firearm" to shoot "Targets". Its no longer a "Weapon" to shoot "people".
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Who runs these courses?
            Why would soldiers need it more than civvies?? Surely this is the other way around??
            How does what your shooting at make a difference to shooters mentality
            Guns don't kill people.
            People kill people!!

Comment

Big diff is that you have custody and responsibility for the rifle 24/7 365.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                Those of us old enough had custody and responsibility for our DF rifle 24/7 365
                "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

our troops have their weapons out in public places doing a job that can be stressful
                  Overseas we have them 24/7 just I case a bad guy shows up.
                  On other occasions we guard military installations prisons
                  Are you saying a hobby shooter is on par?

Comment

Vickers maybe referring to the fact that pre 1970 members of certain units of the FCA were allowed to store their Lee Enfield rifles at home.

Comment

Give over.

In no world should a soldier somehow require more training than a civvie when it comes to owning a firearm. Absolute nonsense.

Comment

The real problem, from what I have seen is when it comes to safety, the military person will presume everyone else has the same attitude to firearm safety as they have. Sadly this is not always the case. I met a deerhunter once who wanted me to leave the woods where I was walking my dog as he had nearly shot someone else there previously... while shooting deer, who were uphill from him, but downhill from the crest of the same hill, which was a public forestry track.

Oh and it was still daytime.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I don't think its fair to paint all civvy shooters or military shooters with the same brush. I've seen unsafe practices from both camps.

Only difference is that the military shooter usually has someone nearby to knock the sh*t out of them when they commit a safety offence. The civvy usually only learns once the harm has been done.

You can train someone on firearm safety all you like. Won't stop them being a fcukhead if it comes naturally to them.

From my experience overconfidence is behind 90% of safety mishaps. As the old saying goes, the unloaded gun shoots loudest.
                          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Been on both military & civvy ranges. Apart from the basics there are some significant differences in the ways things are done.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              Not the case. Everyone needs to do a competency course. More so for those with military training. Remember you have the "Firearm" to shoot "Targets". Its no longer a "Weapon" to shoot "people".
                              You may not need to do a competency course . I handed a letter from my C.O . in with my first application .That was deemed sufficient to prove competency. But each application is different and some supers may prefer to have a signed course done.No competency course is officially recognised by the gardai as far as i know.

Comment

Any decent civvie range will insist that you prove that you have a range safety course done, ie, via your Club, or you won't be allowed near the firing point. I haven't fired a military weapon in 20 years but I'd do a range safety course as normal. I'm in no doubt that it would freshen the memory of weapon handling. Most shooters of ex-mil rifles in Ireland are exers and know how to behave but they all do an RSC as if they were newbies when they join a club and any civvie range behaviour I have seen in the recent past has been quite competent.

Comment

Working...
                                X