New Zealand Defence Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NZDF Defence Capability Plan 2019 has been released:

First up is the replacement of the C-130H and the C-130J-30 has been selected. At this stage no announcement on numbers but likely to be five.

Comment

why oh why can we not have something like this.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

What we would give for a single C130H, let alone replacing it with a J.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          Rhetorical question?
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

In fairness, some of that in very broad strokes is covered. Not all in the public domain.

But I agree it is very much required.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              Rhetorical question?
              No - a multiyear capital spending and investment framework across buildings equipment and people that isnt metaphorically worse than chucking coppers at a street beggar

Comment

No - a multiyear capital spending and investment framework across buildings equipment and people that isnt metaphorically worse than chucking coppers at a street beggar
                It is there, there is a joint plan at DoD/DF Level that is developed by a joint committee (that I can’t remember the name of.... High Level Procurement something or other). They do the multi annual plan. It isn’t in the public (not sure about wider DF) domain.

You would see elements of that appear in other internal DF plans on an annual basis.

The obvious go into the estimates process, with things being prioritised. Now I’m sure DoD don’t let the DF ask for substantially more money in any one year (eg MRV and 2 CPVs)..... and you can be definite that neither does DPER or indeed the Government.

Comment

The HLPP is set up to oversee the implementation of the white paper. So there may be similarities.

Comment

Oh I know about the process, both of you know I do. My point is if I was a Kiwi with only about 300 deployed overseas and a 1.1% GDP defence spend I'd be happy to get behind that plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      The HLPP is set up to oversee the implementation of the white paper. So there may be similarities.
                      High Level Planning and Procurement Group
                      https://www.defence.ie/system/files/...17-english.pdf (Page 9)

I’ve heard HLIG in relation to the WP.

Either way though the WP set the strategic procurement priorities for the DF

Comment

Oh I know about the process, both of you know I do. My point is if I was a Kiwi with only about 300 deployed overseas and a 1.1% GDP defence spend I'd be happy to get behind that plan.
                        Absolutely look at their budgets for some of those projects

Comment

Take a 360° Tour of the New Zealand navies newest addition to its fleet, the Dive & Hydrographic Vessel HMNZS ManawanuiFor the best viewing experience use wi...

Take a 360° Tour - HMNZS MANAWANUI

Comment

The latest edition of NZ Defence and Security sector quarterly magazine Line of Defence is now out.

Defsec is the online home of Line of Defence Magazine, New Zealand Security Magazine and Fire NZ Magazine - publications covering the sectors that keep New Zealanders safe.

You can link to a pdf download from there.

Has some manufacturer/sponsor provided content from Embraer and Leonardo with respect to the KC-390 and the C-27J as well as the MQ-9B Sea Guardian - that may be of some interest in the Irish perspective in terms of future capabilities.

Further news the NZ Army is also to get around 200 Polaris MRZR and 43 Protected Vehicle Mediums likely to be Bushmasters as that is what the Australians use plus they have a small number already.

Last edited by Anzac; 6 July 2019, 23:54.

Comment

Two to three Type 26 mooted for the RNZN future Anzac frigate replacement.

Defence group says country is ‘clearly interested’ in deal for its advanced warships

With the RAN, RCN and RN using it does make sense with respect to long term support and sustainability. I have no doubt that whatever is downselected for the USN FFG(X) will also be in the mix.

Comment

Well. This must be the quickest about face in Uniform pattern and design issue in recent years.(unless you count the Irish DF 2018 ptn DPM Shirt and trousers)

Must be nice to have money to burn.The thing I liked about MCCU was that it was uniquely Kiwi. Multicam is sooooooooo everyone right now.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X