This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing medals in the DF

I'm sorry if this was discussed already but I couldn't find any information on it when I did a search maybe I was looking up stuff so please mods move/close this thread as seen fit...

I don't know how accurate this is but I heard somewhere that you can wear medals belonging to you father/grandfather something like that and it got me wondering has anyone ever seen a person in the DF doing such a thing, what is the extent to which you can wear them, whos medals can you wear if any at all and is this just a PDF typre thing or do RDF personnel do it too?

Mate, the DF and some really great blokes put together
    A book all about this very subject,
    You will find the book on military.ie
    And a more indepth search on here-

Out of nosiness what medals are you talking about?
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
      I'm sorry if this was discussed already but I couldn't find any information on it when I did a search maybe I was looking up stuff so please mods move/close this thread as seen fit...

I don't know how accurate this is but I heard somewhere that you can wear medals belonging to you father/grandfather something like that and it got me wondering has anyone ever seen a person in the DF doing such a thing, what is the extent to which you can wear them, whos medals can you wear if any at all and is this just a PDF typre thing or do RDF personnel do it too?
      No you can not wear someone else's medals and no one can wear yours.

Comment

Log on to this web for the book I compiled "Medals of the Irish Defence Forces"

All Current Regulations page 98-104 form A Administration Section Defence Forces great info.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by goc132; 3 January 2012, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Mate, the DF and some really great blokes put together
          A book all about this very subject,
          You will find the book on military.ie
          And a more indepth search on here-

Out of nosiness what medals are you talking about?

Just in general really, heard it somewhere maybe its another country I dunno, I have a medal belonging to my grand-uncle alrite for serving during the emergency but thats it. apparently theres medals belonging to my grandfather floating around somewhere too but can't think what they are for to be honest with you. My dad was at the war memorial in Killarney when then President McAleese came down and he has told he could wear them but couldn't find them.

Comment

You are not the first nor the last person to ask that question Tez;

at least you had the cop on to ask it rather than appear like Idi Amin on parade.

Throw up a scanned image of the medal I am sure all the medal pervs on here (like me) would love to see it,
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
              No you can not wear someone else's medals and no one can wear yours.
              Im nearly sure an article lately in An Cos stated the above as the position unless medal awarded posthumously to the family of deceased member and can be worn by fam member only at certain functionsas prescribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
                Just in general really, heard it somewhere maybe its another country I dunno, I have a medal belonging to my grand-uncle alrite for serving during the emergency but thats it. apparently theres medals belonging to my grandfather floating around somewhere too but can't think what they are for to be honest with you. My dad was at the war memorial in Killarney when then President McAleese came down and he has told he could wear them but couldn't find them.
                If it was your grandfather look at the link goc132 has attached under War of Independence... maybe?

See page 105 & 106 with regard to wear

Comment

Page 92 - 97 of GOC's link (which is an excellent publication, BTW) above list the War of Independence medals

I am guessing that as you say it's your grandfather in question, the medal
                  probably is an Emergency Service medal (Page 24)

Page 98- 100 list the seniority in which medals are to be worn, and Page 101 - 105 list the way they are worn

Originally posted by Rhodes
                  No you can not wear someone else's medals and no one can wear yours...
                  Not quite correct, Rhodes...

Page 106 of the booklet refers:

Family Members

Contrary to popular belief, next of kin should not wear the medals of a deceased family member.
                  Medals are decorations awarded to individuals in recognition of specific acts and service and
                  should only be worn by the individual to whom awarded.

The exception to the above is when the medal is awarded posthumously
                  Last edited by Truck Driver; 4 January 2012, 15:28.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    The exception to the above is when the medal is awarded posthumously
                    Which happens very rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Which happens very rarely.
                      A few Military Stars were awarded when the medal was instituted, sadly...
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The Military Star being a medal that can only be awarded posthumously!

The award of medals posthumously thankfully rarely (but all too often in the past!).

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          The Military Star being a medal that can only be awarded posthumously!

The Military Star is the only medal that IS awarded posthumously (as it requires you to be dead). The other medals CAN be awarded posthumously.

Comment

Internationally the drill is a widow or a descendant wears the medals of a fallen or deceased on the left breast. If the person who desires to wear medals has also been awarded medals (ex service) then those service medals are worn only. One should not wear ones own medals along with inherited medals.
                            I agree that the DF has recently issued an instruction as per above posts but this not in keeping with the practice of most other countries.

If you have inherited medals from previous generations who served in other forces you should wear them on your left breast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                              The Military Star is the only medal that IS awarded posthumously (as it requires you to be dead). The other medals CAN be awarded posthumously.
                              In the second part of the post I was refering to other medals.

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                              Internationally the drill is a widow or a descendant wears the medals of a fallen or deceased on the left breast. If the person who desires to wear medals has also been awarded medals (ex service) then those service medals are worn only. One should not wear ones own medals along with inherited medals.
                              I agree that the DF has recently issued an instruction as per above posts but this not in keeping with the practice of most other countries.

If you have inherited medals from previous generations who served in other forces you should wear them on your left breast.
                              The DF issues regulations as it sees fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X