Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
    The GOC Aer Corp in the past stated in the magazine "Flying in Ireland" that the stated aim was to have Pilots when leaving to have at least so many hours up on their log books.
    This may be the Brillcream boys priority. Flight hours from where ever they can get them.
    Found it by accident clearing out the attic

Quoting Brig Gen James in July 2005:
    “Some pilots left after ten years with 1,500 or 2,000 hours. If I can get them to leave with 4,000 hours well i’ve Doubled the output. If he is doing that somebody else is coming in behind him.

Of course, this was at a time when Alouettes and Dauphins were still in service.

Interestingly from the same article, the State went to tender in 2003 for a long range aircraft capable of carrying at least 25 pax and 5 crew 3500 nm non-stop. Government decided not to proceed due to cuts.

Same article also provides a total hours break down (in PQs and reports it is just normally ops), for 2004:
    Training 3593 hrs 30%
    Service Support 512.7 Hrs 4%
    SAR 99.9 Hrs 1%
    MATS & VIP 1667.4 Hrs 14%
    Maritime Patrol 1582.1 Hrs 13%
    Maintenance Support 296 Hrs 2%
    Civil Assistance, Support & PR 267.6 Hrs 2%
    Army & Navy Co-Op 1824.2 Hrs 15%
    Air Ambulance 193.5 Hrs 2%
    ATCP 2098.4 Hrs 17%

Comment

• IAS - European Air Ambulance Service. Private Air Ambulance Flights from Ireland to UK. Dedicated 24/7 Air Ambulance Service. NHS Approved. London based. Call or visit us online for more information.

12K sterling from Ireland to UK....for one flight..on demand. Easy see how an on call service could get expensive.

A private air ambulance service has been put in place by the HSE for patients who need transport at night to another country for life-saving transplants.

did we miss something?
      Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 June 2018, 00:54.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Found it by accident clearing out the attic

Quoting Brig Gen James in July 2005:
        “Some pilots left after ten years with 1,500 or 2,000 hours. If I can get them to leave with 4,000 hours well i’ve Doubled the output. If he is doing that somebody else is coming in behind him.

Of course, this was at a time when Alouettes and Dauphins were still in service.

Interestingly from the same article, the State went to tender in 2003 for a long range aircraft capable of carrying at least 25 pax and 5 crew 3500 nm non-stop. Government decided not to proceed due to cuts.

Same article also provides a total hours break down (in PQs and reports it is just normally ops), for 2004:
        Training 3593 hrs 30%
        Service Support 512.7 Hrs 4%
        SAR 99.9 Hrs 1%
        MATS & VIP 1667.4 Hrs 14%
        Maritime Patrol 1582.1 Hrs 13%
        Maintenance Support 296 Hrs 2%
        Civil Assistance, Support & PR 267.6 Hrs 2%
        Army & Navy Co-Op 1824.2 Hrs 15%
        Air Ambulance 193.5 Hrs 2%
        ATCP 2098.4 Hrs 17%
        So the article was referring specifically to output rather than purely just creating hours for the "Brillcream Boys" as was originally claimed.

Yet another example of how something can be taken out of context and construed as something else to suit someones narrative or agenda.

Considering AC pilots are under contract for 12 years, leaving with 2000 hours inst large.

170 hours a year. Pales in comparison to those in the airlines who routinely do 600-700 hours and upwards to 900 hours oer year. The number clearing 300 hours per annum is minuscule.

Thanks for finding the article.
        Last edited by Chuck; 22 June 2018, 12:03.

Comment

• I already referred to this in another thread.

The contracted aircraft was based in Dublin and cost 20,000 euro per day, before call out costs. The cost was kept well under wraps by dept of health.

No money to retain pilots, crew and ATC but no hassle finding 140,000 euro per week to finance a private UK based contractor.

Comment

• I saw the King Air do a medevac yesterday so someone is benefiting. they didn't even take the wraps off the learjet so there's another 20 large burning off...

Comment

• ICAA will have an advantage, last I heard was they will have a Pilot, paramedic and A&E Consultant

Comment

• AC have a tender out for surveys of 19 hospital HLS’s

Comment

ICAA will have an advantage, last I heard was they will have a Pilot, paramedic and A&E Consultant
                  Dev...I think that was the original intention/vision of the people behind ICAA. However, I have heard a rumour that they will be an EMT plus Paramedic model as per Air Corps EAS.

Comment

• Originally posted by TouchandGo View Post
                    Dev...I think that was the original intention/vision of the people behind ICAA. However, I have heard a rumour that they will be an EMT plus Paramedic model as per Air Corps EAS.
                    EAS is 2 pilots, AC Crewman (EMT) and NAS AP

Comment

EAS is 2 pilots, AC Crewman (EMT) and NAS AP
                      That's correct.

And the ICAA clinical model will be the same i.e. EMT plus Paramedic.

Hence the level of medical intervention each of these services will be able to offer/conduct will also be the same.

The NAS tasking agency in the Aeromedical Co-ordination Centre will use the same dispatch criteria as currently used for EAS.

So....in essence, once ICAA are operational, we will have 2 aeromedical assets, operating to the same dispatch criteria, offering the same level of clinical care, albeit in different locations, utilising different aircraft.
                      Last edited by TouchandGo; 7 July 2018, 13:04.

Comment

That's correct.

And the ICAA clinical model will be the same i.e. EMT plus Paramedic.

Hence the level of medical intervention each of these services will be able to offer/conduct will also be the same.

The NAS tasking agency in the Aeromedical Co-ordination Centre will use the same dispatch criteria as currently used for EAS.

So....in essence, once ICAA are operational, we will have 2 aeromedical assets, operating to the same dispatch criteria, offering the same level of clinical care, albeit in different locations, utilising different aircraft.
                        If it is a EMT and a paramedic then it’s not the same as EAS has an EMT and an Advanced Paramedic

Comment

If it is a EMT and a paramedic then it’s not the same as EAS has an EMT and an Advanced Paramedic
                          Dev....I'm merely trying to highlight the fact that the ICAA clinical model will not be a doctor plus paramedic service that you said you had heard.

NAS want it to be based on the same clinical model as EAS currently provides.

So yes....an advanced paramedic plus EMT.

Comment

Dev....I'm merely trying to highlight the fact that the ICAA clinical model will not be a doctor plus paramedic service that you said you had heard.

NAS want it to be based on the same clinical model as EAS currently provides.

So yes....an advanced paramedic plus EMT.
                            Protectionism from NAS? A number of emergency medicine drs. in that area of the country have HEMS experience and are advocating for Dr. / paramedic moving forward (as per most UK air ambulance services)

Where will ICAA get these advanced paramedics? Most are currently in NAS / DFB / DF (with a few exceptions) and course not open to public students as yet.
                            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                              Protectionism from NAS? A number of emergency medicine drs. in that area of the country have HEMS experience and are advocating for Dr. / paramedic moving forward (as per most UK air ambulance services)

Where will ICAA get these advanced paramedics? Most are currently in NAS / DFB / DF (with a few exceptions) and course not open to public students as yet.
                              Not sure why not doctors but it has to be an AP due allow for advanced life support.

AFAIK there is no official restriction on paramedics having to be from a service (if you like) - it is more of case of time and money, private ambulances wouldn’t have as much call for APs either i’d Imagine.

Comment

• I understand it has tp ALS AP, no problem there.

But I wonder is there resistance to idea of Dr. / AP crew as EAS is NAS toy at minute and in true Irish fashion nobody likes giving up their toys, especially if the alternative would allow more advanced interventions pre-hospital through the Dr.s licences??

The other point is it would be tricky for any AP working a full time career in any of the services to also commit to ICAA hours on top of their own. Staffing issues for ICAA in the making?

I also took from one post that NAS AP's would crew the ICAA aircraft? Wondering how that would happen or was I mis-understanding?
                                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                                X