Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    So what are we looking at exactly? And what have you got against Valentia and Dingle.
    Extension of the ICRR Air Ambulance scheme to 4 choppers as well as co-funding the NI backup chopper and a joint coordionation centre. The circles are 20 minutes circles for the respective choppers (A109 in IE, H135 in NI).

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      I'll just put this here

20 minute air ambulance by graylion, on Flickr
      An interesting overlay on this map would be the 20 minute areas covered by all existing road ambulance stations. While I’m not denying that a lot of casualties benefit from transport to a Trauma Center within the Golden Hour, the vast majority of casualties don’t require that level of intervention.

I can give an example of one case I’m aware of (in the UK) where waiting for the Air Ambulance had a negative (fatal) result, and the only rationale behind using the Air Ambulance was “because we can”.

Edited to add - Sorry, vastly off-thread!
      Last edited by Flamingo; 14 June 2020, 18:52.
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Extension of the ICRR Air Ambulance scheme to 4 choppers as well as co-funding the NI backup chopper and a joint coordionation centre. The circles are 20 minutes circles for the respective choppers (A109 in IE, H135 in NI).
        ICRR can’t afford to keep one base online

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          An interesting overlay on this map would be the 20 minute areas covered by all existing road ambulance stations. While I’m not denying that a lot of casualties benefit from transport to a Trauma Center within the Golden Hour, the vast majority of casualties don’t require that level of intervention.

I can give an example of one case I’m aware of (in the UK) where waiting for the Air Ambulance had a negative (fatal) result, and the only rationale behind using the Air Ambulance was “because we can”.

Edited to add - Sorry, vastly off-thread!
          Given the uptake of the service, I think it is deperately needed. Do you have any examples where this happened in Ireland?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            ICRR can’t afford to keep one base online
            Yup, it needs state buy-in.

Comment

Given the uptake of the service, I think it is deperately needed. Do you have any examples where this happened in Ireland?
              No, but the circumstances can easily arise where eagerness to justify an asset results in inappropriate use. It’s just something that needs keeping in mind. Having said that, I do think it’s an asset that has great value.

Comment

• The Air Corps has carried out a medical repatriation flight from an overseas mission.

Comment

• HSE have a €16m 2 (extendable up to 4) year tender out for patient transfer & transplant retrieval teams to other countries between the hours of 7pm and 7:30am (7pm to 8.30 am June, July and August). The entire provision of the service would be the remit of the service provider i.e. staffing, equipment, etc.

Comment

• Ref the contracted air ambulance for nightime flights to the U.K.

Source is etenders and these are only P1 flights

2018 - 1 mission (Newcastle)

2019 - 5 missions (Heathrow) plus 3 missions (I assume AC as from Baldonnel) (London & Newcastle), plus 1 from Dublin to Heathrow (not provided by contractor not sure if AC)

2020 - 4 missions (Heathrow) plus 2 missions (one from Waterford and one from Dublin) (London) not done under the contract

Comment

• That’s a huge investment for not a lot of use...

Comment

That’s a huge investment for not a lot of use...
                        €7m for 2018 & 2019 for the nighttime hours air ambulance the HSE is paying.

Imagine that was put into hours for Learjet and CASAs

Comment

• Imagine if that was put into a proper Air Ambulance service...

Comment

Imagine if that was put into a proper Air Ambulance service...
                            I’d say if 1/3 of that was put into the AC they could have provided the service.

One of the few DF allowances that was got rid of in the review was the Pilot Retention Scheme which had an obvious knock on effect to retention (and training for those coming behind those who received it) to save less than €1M annually

Comment

• Air ambulance rule change requested

Health officials asked the Department of Defence if it could adjust the flight rules that apply to emergency air ambulance missions to allow the service to operate later in to the evenings.

Current operating rules mean Air Corps pilots may accept Emergency Aeromedical Services missions only if they are assured of landing at receiving hospitals with a patient or transplant during daylight hours.

Correspondence seen by the Sunday Independent shows health officials asked in August 2019 if these "visual flight rules" could be amended so crews would instead have to consider only whether they can arrive at the scene of an accident before the end of daylight and then fly to hospital using navigation instruments. The emails show air ambulance taskings typically operate between airports or designated Air Corps landing sites during daylight hours to minimise the risk involved.

Under a new arrangement, the HSE is set to spend up to €16m over two years on an emergency air ambulance provider which can operate when the Air Corps and Coast Guard are unavailable to transfer patients.
                              Health officials asked the Department of Defence if it could adjust the flight rules that apply to emergency air ambulance missions to allow the service to operate later in to the evenings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                                Air ambulance rule change requested

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40031577.html
                                Hope they publish the story as to why not!

The air ambulance contract is completely different

Comment

Working...
                                X