No announcement yet.

Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great service which will be very useful in the region, however while the medical personnel aboard will be suitably skilled, they won't be at the level normally seen in this type of service elsewhere.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• ICRR has completed 56 missions in their first month

Comment

• Over 100 missions in 2 months

They have access to a 2nd hell for maintenance cover

Comment

• Air Corps 112 The Emergency Aeromedical Service

"The Emergency Aeromedical Service (EAS) is a helicopter-based medical evacuation and air ambulance service based in Athlone, Ireland. Operated since 2012 by the Air Corps and National Ambulance Service under the call sign MEDEVAC 112, the service was redesignated AIR CORPS 112 in 2016. It is a joint project of the Irish government Departments of Defence and Health, and provides an advanced-paramedic response to patients whose location or clinical condition requires aeromedical support."

Comment

• Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has acknowledged that there are problems with recruitment and retention of pilots in the Air Corps, but has insisted the problems are being dealt with.

I hope AGS and DoJ are keeping an eye on this to make sure GASU doesn't become affected.
            It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
            It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
            It was a new age...It was the end of history.
            It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Another way of looking at this is, that's what you get when you force another role on an already stretched military air wing.
              In most other places, these assets are operated independently.
              Gasu and air ambulance should never be a primary military task. But our government decide it's cheaper to leave the underfunded and understaffed Air Corps to do both.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The annual costs of the Cork based service are being quoted as €2 million. Surely that is something that could be provided to a Midlands based private service. This is not and never has been a military role, especially one with limited personnel and equipment.

Comment

• ICRR clarification on their FB page:

The Cork based heli is staying where it is

The 2nd back up ICRR heli is going to be based in Roscommon 4 days a month

Comment

• Quick question: One of my pet ideas is to use air ambulances for transfers between hospitals. Let me explain the rationale

- aer ambulance can not always land due to roadside over head electricity cables
                    - hospital functions are being very centralised in this country

I would like us to be able to quickly transfer patients from one hospital to the other and have a helipad at _every_ hospital. Now I am wondering whether anything relevant would be gained by making those helipads IFR capable? (never mind practicality, that's a diffrent conversation.) Planning laws of course would have to be changed so that noise concerns do not apply for emergency services.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                      Quick question: One of my pet ideas is to use air ambulances for transfers between hospitals. Let me explain the rationale

- aer ambulance can not always land due to roadside over head electricity cables

I would like us to be able to quickly transfer patients from one hospital to the other and have a helipad at _every_ hospital. Now I am wondering whether anything relevant would be gained by making those helipads IFR capable? (never mind practicality, that's a diffrent conversation.) Planning laws of course would have to be changed so that noise concerns do not apply for emergency services.
                      What sort of patients are you thinking of sending by air?

While there are certain classes of patients who one might need to get to a tertiary centre ASAP, and there are even circumstances when getting a stable patient to another hospital ASAP would be benticial (eg if an ITU bed is not available), the vast majority of inter-hospital transfers would not need the resource-heavy investment of Air Ambulance to get them from A to B.

If they are fit enough to lie on a trolley in A&E, they are fit enough to lie on a stretcher for an hour or two to transfer.

The investment might be better put into more boring but essential areas.
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                        What sort of patients are you thinking of sending by air?

While there are certain classes of patients who one might need to get to a tertiary centre ASAP, and there are even circumstances when getting a stable patient to another hospital ASAP would be benticial (eg if an ITU bed is not available), the vast majority of inter-hospital transfers would not need the resource-heavy investment of Air Ambulance to get them from A to B.

If they are fit enough to lie on a trolley in A&E, they are fit enough to lie on a stretcher for an hour or two to transfer.

The investment might be better put into more boring but essential areas.
                        You do realise how many people die on trolleys every week, right? But it is an interesting question. I wish I had statistics.

Comment

• As a layman can someone please explane the difference between a bed and a trolley.
                          The only difference I can come up with is that a bed has a Curtain around it and is not in a corridor.
                          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                            Quick question: One of my pet ideas is to use air ambulances for transfers between hospitals. Let me explain the rationale

Air ambulance flights (hospital to hospital) flights are completed ... the major issue apart from aircraft availability (helicopter, aircrew and ground crew) is so few hospitals have a helipad (never mind a IFR one)

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                              As a layman can someone please explane the difference between a bed and a trolley.
                              The only difference I can come up with is that a bed has a Curtain around it and is not in a corridor.
                              I have had the unfortunate experience of having to spend the night on both a hospital bed and a trolley. A bed is as is stated a bed with a certain level of comfort. A trolley is designed for moving patients around from point A to point B and I can attest to the fact that they lack the necessary comforts (padding) that make an overnight stay in hospital comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X