• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
    Take your pick:

1. NIMBYism
    2. Parish pump politicians
    3. Media unable / unwilling to have a reasoned open debate about any grown up issue
    4. Public who are apathetic to the fact they live in a country blessed by no significant natural disasters / large scale wars / etc. in living history
    5. Public who have an entitlement culture without owning any responsibility
    6. A hard left movement who have been given un-opposed voice repeatedly
    7. An institutional fear at political level to say our organisations / structures / are generationally outdated and questionably fit for purpose anymore.

You can apply all of the above to any area of public service or civil inclusion......ambulance services, fire services, Gardai, Defence Forces, public transport, social welfare, health....etc. etc.

Sometime I think Ireland is the Kevin and Perry of Europe.....grumpy teen in the corner opposing everything, not because its a bad idea (it might actually be a good idea!) but just because they can
    Ireland is suffering from postcolonial hangover and a firm, belief that it can't do anything right in the older generation. Read "The damned of the Earth". And power structures that are fundamentally still colonial and undemocratic. Way too much power in the executive, no democratic control thereof. And some eejits who call us who want to change this "hard left" and accuse us of obstructionism ;o)

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      Oh indeed But readiness is also a factor. Do we know what readiness the current AA is at?
      EAS is under 5 mins I think

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
        Ireland is suffering from postcolonial hangover and a firm, belief that it can't do anything right in the older generation.
        I'm fed up listening to the mantra of post colonial "the Brits enslaved us for 800 years".

We are three or four generations removed now from anybody even remembering the British in power. And what makes it worse is people now in their 20's, 30's, 40's spouting on about it as if they were traumatised by a despotic invasion!! Most under mid 40s or maybe 50 didn't even suffer old catholic Ireland and its societal / personal damage post independence but have the privilege to grow up in a ever increasing pluralistic and open country.

Time to stop blaming ancient history and anything else for every woe and take some personal and collective responsibility for ourselves as a country.

I will caveat all the above with acknowledging the NI situation....but that doesn't give an excuse for citizens of our independent country to abdicate civil responsibility because of outside factors.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

I'm fed up listening to the mantra of post colonial "the Brits enslaved us for 800 years".

We are three or four generations removed now from anybody even remembering the British in power. And what makes it worse is people now in their 20's, 30's, 40's spouting on about it as if they were traumatised by a despotic invasion!! Most under mid 40s or maybe 50 didn't even suffer old catholic Ireland and its societal / personal damage post independence but have the privilege to grow up in a ever increasing pluralistic and open country.

Time to stop blaming ancient history and anything else for every woe and take some personal and collective responsibility for ourselves as a country.

I will caveat all the above with acknowledging the NI situation....but that doesn't give an excuse for citizens of our independent country to abdicate civil responsibility because of outside factors.
          Really because the Constitution still is not reflective of equal rights for all in many ways

Look at the patronage of the National Maternity Hospital and many schools

Comment

• Don't get me started on Dev's total abdication of civil responsibility to the catholic church

Yes the constitution does need a radical overhaul to reflect a proper Republic.

However, the past twenty years have brought a sea change in attitudes, acceptance and freedom of expression for many. The State/social structures just need to catch up to reflect this.
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

The problem is in the heads. I see it a lot in the older generation. The younger doesn't have it. But the mentality of being defeated before even starting? Talk to older people about tryting to improve anything and they'll tell you that it can't be done.

Comment

• ICRR are running out of money
                The Irish Community Rapid Response (ICRR) air ambulance, which is based in Rathcoole near Mallow, began on July 30, 2019 and has been "extremely busy" since its launch.

Comment

• Even tho the state were happy to shoehorn them in to cover the Athlone Air Corps operations.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Not surprising really.....only surprise is it happened so quickly.

While it is admirable the work ICRR have done to get this service running it only highlights the lack of foresight and investment by DoH and HSE in providing such a service. The typical Irish solution of let/use volunteers, part-timers, charities, etc. provide services the public should have available from the State.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if the UK HEMS services are fully charitable funded or part Gov funding. They are now very widespread and an integral part of pre-hospital services as opposed to a rare few.

Comment

• Most UK air ambulances are charity run, receiving some NHS funding
                      Last edited by DeV; 4 January 2020, 16:47.

Comment

• I see in an Journal.ie article on the state of play suggestions that some pilots are going to the States for training later on in the year?

They have just introduced a variant of the 139 into service?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                          I see in an Journal.ie article on the state of play suggestions that some pilots are going to the States for training later on in the year?

They have just introduced a variant of the 139 into service?
                          Shushhh, that’s for their F35 training...
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                            Shushhh, that’s for their F35 training...
                            Thought it was for the Apaches?

Comment

• Those too ????
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• I see that ICRR are flying with 3 crew anybody know what that is? Pilot, copilot, EMT? No doctor?

Comment

Working...
                                X