No announcement yet.

Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61's do hems type missions for life or death patients but only if NACC have no EAS available.
    Accirding to CG Facebook page Sligo has an s92 going online tomorrow.

Comment

• Fair enough but a lot of the chat on here was about IRCG a/c not being prioritised over the EAS a/c because of location but if they (s61's) can't be tasked for routine calls is this not a factor? It seems that the NAAC may be correct in their daily taskings of the EAS and not following an agenda. Maybe when all 4 SAR bases are online with a HEMS approved S92 then things might change.
      Last edited by Pure Hover; 30 June 2013, 01:06.

Comment

• The protocol states EAS first before CG. It makes no reference to the a/c.
        By defination any patient that needs to be taken by air must be critical enough therefore a threat to life exists.
        The a/c can change but the protocol is its current state will mean patients that are ill will sometimes wait longer. It's nothing to do with AC v's CG. It's looking more like an operation that was set up to trial if a service was necissery is now trying to push its stats through the roof even if it has a negative impact on those it's supposed to be helping.

Comment

• I'd suggest that the protocol is because they're dedicated.

Big claim though about a service (EAS) trying to push its stats through the roof and patients waiting for a helicopter!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post
            I'd suggest that the protocol is because they're dedicated.

Big claim though about a service (EAS) trying to push its stats through the roof and patients waiting for a helicopter!
            If shorter patient waiting and transit times were a priority you would see more CG hems flights in some areas.
            If there is only one dedicated asset why the need for a co ordination centre? Why doesn't the SOP include some co ordination?
            At the risk of repeating myself, put the patients needs first and base all decisions on that and you can't go far wrong.
            In reality were talking about a few extra calls being done by CG, the EAS are still available for additional calls and when stats are looked at from a retention of service point of view more calls and shorter wait times = win win.
            Last edited by Meatbomb; 30 June 2013, 11:00.

Comment

• Let remember that the pilot project is "to assess the level and type of DECICATED HEMS in Ireland".

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
              If shorter patient waiting and transit times were a priority you would see more CG hems flights in some areas.
              If there is only one dedicated asset why the need for a co ordination centre? Why doesn't the SOP include some co ordination?
              At the risk of repeating myself, put the patients needs first and base all decisions on that and you can't go far wrong.
              In reality were talking about a few extra calls being done by CG, the EAS are still available for additional calls and when stats are looked at from a retention of service point of view more calls and shorter wait times = win win.
              The NACC was set up to co-ordinate air ambulance flights, EAS/HEMS was added later.

Comment

• It's almost like you said DeV, they phrase it as looking at dedicated air assets to assist the HSE ambulance service, pretty much same thing.

They speak about reducing transit and response times ( I don't think the protocol allows for this as much as it could/should)

There is also a piece about using existing resources.

Your dead right about the introduction of NACC and the addition of EAS afterwards. Still doesn't mean that they can't co ordinate.

Comment

• With the flooding and closure of Letterkenny A+E, would it make sense to move the EAS to the NW for the time being? I see on Facebook that the Sligo CG Helicopter is staying at 15mins notice now until its sorted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                    With the flooding and closure of Letterkenny A+E, would it make sense to move the EAS to the NW for the time being? I see on Facebook that the Sligo CG Helicopter is staying at 15mins notice now until its sorted.
                    It's at 15 mins NTM in daylight anyway

Comment

• Yes but 45 mins between 2100 and 0730. It is now 15 mins during the normal standby period.
                      Last night both Letterkenny and Altnegalvin A+E's were of call (Altnegalvin because of overcrowding) what I've hear also is the Ambulance service have no extra crews on to cover the extra workload which is insane!

Would basing the EAS in Carrickfin to t'fer patients to Sligo make sense while a better solution is found?

Comment

Yes but 45 mins between 2100 and 0730. It is now 15 mins during the normal standby period.
                        Last night both Letterkenny and Altnegalvin A+E's were of call (Altnegalvin because of overcrowding) what I've hear also is the Ambulance service have no extra crews on to cover the extra workload which is insane!

Would basing the EAS in Carrickfin to t'fer patients to Sligo make sense while a better solution is found?

They should be able to redeploy to Finner will few problems (but could the NAS personnel)?!

But only if requested by HSE / NAS

NAS can't but extra crews on, their aren't any!
                        Paramedics already work 24 hour shifts

Comment

• NAS Personnel not based in Athlone anyway. There are no HSE Ambulance crews doing 24hr shifts.
                          You are correct about a request being needed tho.

Comment

NAS Personnel not based in Athlone anyway. There are no HSE Ambulance crews doing 24hr shifts.
                            You are correct about a request being needed tho.
                            Strange cause I know of at least 1 station that works 24 hour shifts (6-8 hrs on call at home)

Comment

• that station must be one of the last doing that.
                              It's policy that on-call should be completely phased out and replaced by full time crewed ambulances.
                              on call is an antiquated system that results in reduced response times and poorer patient outcomes.
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• What he said ^

Comment

Working...
                                X