Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces Military Archives

Archive video.

They are trying to put a date on the clip. I'M saying(publicly) that its Post 1948, but the sight of a Cavalryman driving a bren gun carrier is a red herring. Cav stopped using them in 1943, and they all went to infantry.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      They are trying to put a date on the clip. I'M saying(publicly) that its Post 1948, but the sight of a Cavalryman driving a bren gun carrier is a red herring. Cav stopped using them in 1943, and they all went to infantry.
      Well there are Churchills in the clip and they were delivered in December 1948.

Comment

No they weren't, the first two of four were delivered in 1948, there are three in the clip and the second two were delivered on 28th January and 24th December 1949

So to my mind given there are three in the clip it is safe to date it between the two dates given above.

They were Registered in sequence ZD 5052 to ZD ZD 5055 and Marked '1A' Through '1D' only the firsts three call signs and registrations are visible in the clip again narrowing it in my mind prior to delivery of the 4th machine.

The carrier thing sort of bothers me though as a number of carriers were returned to the Motor Squadrons in the 1950s assigned on a scale of eight carriers per motor squadron, but then again we are dealing with the 1st Tank squadron and not Motor Squadrons!

Nothing substantive about the Lansverk L180 Armoured cars except the Eight that were delivered served with the Ist Armoured and not the First Tank until 1972 when they were handed over to the 11th Motor.

One little detail, everybody is wearing overcoats bar the DRs, so its probably in winter!

They were leased as opposed to bought out right and by the time the army decided to buy the outright in 1954 they were heading for disposal due to a shortage of spares.

The dates are genuine as supplied by the Cav School.

So should anyone wish to submit my theory to the Mil Archives as food for thought, feel free,Unless there are survivors from the time who can actually date the clip I reckon my dates could be about the best available.
        Last edited by hptmurphy; 29 January 2012, 16:35.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          No they weren't, the first two of four were delivered in 1948, there are three in the clip and the second two were delivered on 28th January and 24th December 1949
          Thats what I meant!

Comment

Thats what I meant!

Of course you did!!!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Archive video of the Artillery Corps.

Comment

1980s recruitment video.

Comment

Brilliant.....

Bandit will be on a buzzer for days!!!!

The one true army ad!

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    Brilliant.....

Bandit will be on a buzzer for days!!!!

The one true army ad!
                    I had to watch it a few times it was that good. Im still smiling.

Comment

AML with a Mecanique Creusot-Loire T 25 two-man powered turret armed with a 25mm Bushmaster cannon. (note a young Sean McCann in the background)

AML with Alvis Vickers turret armed with 30mm RARDEN cannon.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Rhodes; 9 May 2012, 23:52.

Comment

Ah, the ad of the century! Corny as hell but I loved it. Owen Sherry DSM in the Alouette, looking about 18 years old. It was well made for it's time; I'd say there must be miles of it on the cutting room floor with all the editing required.
                        the AML pics are very interesting.

regards
                        GttC

Comment

Quick one on the AMLs 6459 ZE was actually a former 3 Cav car and is the one preserved in the Curragh as an AML 60 CS.

I wonder were both turrets fitted to the same car.

Would guesstimate the photos from the early '80s due to the Timoney V/VI in the back round CKL turret mounting .5.

The add fottage is pre 1981 the first one being even earlier , shirts and ties dead giveaway.

Lovely finds all the same.

Comment

A Leyland armoured car in its original condition. There's not to many pictures of them like this before all the modifications. It has a camo paint job so it must of been during The Emergency.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                              1980s recruitment video.

NCO at 0.37 went on to a Pot Officers course soon after and ended up OC 14th Inf Bn.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X