Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The second clip is quite interesting. The air corps seemed to know exactly the limitations of the Dauphin, and the Lt Col being interviewed described exactly their worst case scenario, with 248 in the background. Unfortunately that scenario more or less described how 248 was lost.
    Charlie was some waffler. Very trump like.
    The quiet spoken civilian interviewed towards the end of the clip about keeping an eye on vessel movements is Daire Brunicardi, naval historian and former Lt Cdr. His father Niall was also an LtCdr in the early days of the Naval service and Daire's son Michael is currently LtCdr and O.C of L.E. James Joyce. Gentlemen each one.

The third clip surprised me. A year before I joined. Yamaha XS400. Still being used by the Military Police in 1992. Replaced by the Kawasaki Gt550. Didn't realise the EoH wore leather gaiters over the standard boot. I assumed they wore proper motorcycle boots. Griffith was one of the first Dublin barracks to close.
    In the clip about MRCC Shannon I remember the Officer in Charge as I trained him and his controllers from Shannon ATC in Haulbowline and then spent two weeks with them in Shannon control in an advisory role. The overall situation at the time and quick political footwork is reminiscent of our blindness to our international obligation and duty of care to those in peril at sea. The Brits will do it was an overt policy and Departmental migration of responsibility was a continuous process. Marine used to be lumped with Agriculture and mainly concerned itself with Fishery matters. Marine that adds to the strength of the Nation was a laissez-faire matter and has led to no ETV, loss of a Merchant Navy, butchery of port facilities, and under provision of ship repair and building.

Comment

• The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.
        I remember in 1982, welders in verolme (with no orders on the books) were demanding £200 per week, at a time when the average industrial wage was under £100.
        This kind of carry on did permanent damage to workplace relations in Ireland.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• A number of RTE reports from 1988.

Air Corps Helicopter Training

Dublin Firemen Begin Strike

Book On Army Badges

POA Criticises Army Actions

Aer Corps (sic) Pilots Leave For More Lucrative Jobs

Ban On Air Corps Resignations

Minister Visits Navy Patrol Vessels

Comment

• A few more from 1988.

Pay Row In The Defence Forces

Naval Exercises Off East Coast

Closure Of Griffith Barracks

Iran-Iraq Military Police Unit

Army Gets New Rifle

New Patrol Vessels Arrive In Cork

Demand For Two Rescue Bases

Comment

• I remember the Portlaoise incident well. The gunner in question didn't have to buy pints for quite a while after, apparently. Unfortunately the intended recipient of those gifts from FN FAL of Herstal, was released by a court some time later.

The british tabloids had a good ole laugh at paddy releasing, arresting and re-releasing an alleged terrorist and had many keystone cops like cartoons to explain this situation to their readership. At the end of the day, the fault usually lay in the British Extradition warrants, but this was just one of many extradition attempts that went wrong due to the local DJ making a flawed presumption on legislation with which he would have had little dealings . It set a nasty precedent where a person arrested for a terrorist offence had to be released after arrest outside a garda station, to be re-arrested for the purpose of being extradited, once the warrant was approved. At the end of the day a District justice should never have been given the responsibility to make this decision. The House of commons were baying for blood, but their AG was stoic in his support for the Irish process and authorities.

Later legistlation closed this loophole, and the extradition process seemed to go much smoother. Sadly new rules mean we never got to find out exactly what Mr McVeigh got up to before or after his short lesson on the sound an incoming 7.62x51mm NATO makes. I'm sure he saw the error of his ways and went off to live a life as a law abiding citizen somewhere...

Comment

• The report on the Steyr mentions the rifle was acquired through a subsidiary.
                That subsidiary was called Steyr-Barter.
                The countertrade was valued at over £1 million which would not have covered the cost of all the rifles, so the butter mountain didn't pay for them all.

Comment

The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.
                  The older welders acted the B****k looking to force a redundancy situation even if it caused the jobs of the other younger workers.
                  Same with SR technics in Dublin Lads who worked the landing gear would not accept the latest agreements.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    I remember the Portlaoise incident well. The gunner in question didn't have to buy pints for quite a while after, apparently. Unfortunately the intended recipient of those gifts from FN FAL of Herstal, was released by a court some time later.

The british tabloids had a good ole laugh at paddy releasing, arresting and re-releasing an alleged terrorist and had many keystone cops like cartoons to explain this situation to their readership. At the end of the day, the fault usually lay in the British Extradition warrants, but this was just one of many extradition attempts that went wrong due to the local DJ making a flawed presumption on legislation with which he would have had little dealings . It set a nasty precedent where a person arrested for a terrorist offence had to be released after arrest outside a garda station, to be re-arrested for the purpose of being extradited, once the warrant was approved. At the end of the day a District justice should never have been given the responsibility to make this decision. The House of commons were baying for blood, but their AG was stoic in his support for the Irish process and authorities.

Later legistlation closed this loophole, and the extradition process seemed to go much smoother. Sadly new rules mean we never got to find out exactly what Mr McVeigh got up to before or after his short lesson on the sound an incoming 7.62x51mm NATO makes. I'm sure he saw the error of his ways and went off to live a life as a law abiding citizen somewhere...
                    So they were real bullets.

Comment

Unions do at times have a problem but there was also the problem of fat cats at the time, acquiring swaths of the irish economy and living mostly abroad with very little payment of taxes to our Revenue. The government closed down VCD as that company requested a window of subsidy to allow them hunt for orders . The request was for around 1 or 2 million euros. In the event the managers Let Go LE Eithne on 8/11/1984, closed the gates of VCD and went back to Holland. The older ones remained and retired locally. The Government, in the same year , also shut down ISL and wiped out our only deep-sea shipping company.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                        The report on the Steyr mentions the rifle was acquired through a subsidiary.
                        That subsidiary was called Steyr-Barter.
                        The countertrade was valued at over £1 million which would not have covered the cost of all the rifles, so the butter mountain didn't pay for them all.
                        What was the difference in the cost of the rifles with and without the offset deal?
                        Very often the offset just pushes up the price as the other company/nation has to get rid of something they do not want in the first place. But make politicians look good, "we are buy xxxx but they will be taking zzzz from us".

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                          What was the difference in the cost of the rifles with and without the offset deal?
                          Very often the offset just pushes up the price as the other company/nation has to get rid of something they do not want in the first place. But make politicians look good, "we are buy xxxx but they will be taking zzzz from us".
                          I spent, between two ships building, about 2 years in VCD . They had a repair contract with the Russian Atlantic Fishing Fleet . Their budgets were tight in cash but they occasionally offered cases of boots as part payment for extra jobs. The need might be that a full length of pipe , flange to flange needed replacing, whereas the Russian Superintendent wanted the corroded bit clipped and repaired. The ships Engineer would negotiate a deal by trading goods. VCD had to sell boots to get their money but seemed happy to do so. Russians always trade.

Comment

• Army Operational Readiness 1985

An RTE News report broadcast on 28 May 1985.

Comment

• Ponchos. In Mayo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                                Army Operational Readiness 1985

An RTE News report broadcast on 28 May 1985.
                                Exercise but hard to see if BFAs fitted

Comment

Working...
                                X