Thanks Thanks:  167
Likes Likes:  238
Dislikes Dislikes:  24
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear Tom McCochrane again. A solid reporter, sensible, courteous and informed. We haven't had anybody near his standard since"

2. Likes na grohmiti, DeV liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sluggie, well spotted , he was 2IC of one of the Coys and OIC GOH, President Mc Aleese was particularly committed to the DF and took her role as Supreme Commander very seriously, she travelled to the 82 Battalion within weeks of election and made her final visit abroad to the Leb too, visiting troops abroad, tremendous symmetry. A class act.

I was at the meal that night with about 200 others, her speech to us is one of the highlights of my time in the DF.

Some great people in that footage , both commissioned and enlisted.

4. Likes DeV liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    "A military parade and ceremony outside the General Post Office in Dublin begin events to mark the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising."

6. Thanks DeV, Battletour, hptmurphy, Tempest thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Flamingo, Tempest, Burt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pearse Bn GoH?

8. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Pearse Bn GoH?
    Pearse Company.

I believe that is Dermot Earley carrying the Cadet Class pennant.

10. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worth noting the OC GoH slipping his hand under DeVs arm to guide him around the Guard as at this him his sight had deteriorated to the point that he couldn't make out faces up close. He had surrendered his driving licence as far back as 1934 because of his failing sight, although driving was a real passion of his.
    Time for another break I think......

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also I presume it was unusual to have an FCA commandant commanding the GoH. Perhaps he was chosen because of the height of the President? Having said that I remember the Irish Guards GoH was commanded by a major when M Robinson was honoured in London some years ago but that is hardly relevant!

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    Also I presume it was unusual to have an FCA commandant commanding the GoH. Perhaps he was chosen because of the height of the President? Having said that I remember the Irish Guards GoH was commanded by a major when M Robinson was honoured in London some years ago but that is hardly relevant!
    I notice the Black Berets, could that have been during the earlier period of integration? I didn't realise the PDF wore the bumfreezers.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    I notice the Black Berets, could that have been during the earlier period of integration? I didn't realise the PDF wore the bumfreezers.
    Black berets were on issue to the FCA until around 1980 when they changed to green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hadn't copped that, well done

Black berets were on issue to the FCA until around 1980 when they changed to green.
    Unit specific,,,,Cavalry and Motor Squadrons took on the Glengarry, but did for a period wear the black berets. Dress regs for some periods are very hazy and in some cases very localized.

16. Thanks derfel_ie thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unit specific,,,,Cavalry and Motor Squadrons took on the Glengarry, but did for a period wear the black berets. Dress regs for some periods are very hazy and in some cases very localized.[/QUOTE]

No Cav sqns back then. All Motor Squadrons

Post Thanks / Like
    Unit specific,,,,Cavalry and Motor Squadrons took on the Glengarry, but did for a period wear the black berets. Dress regs for some periods are very hazy and in some cases very localized.
    No Cav sqns back then. All Motor Squadrons[/QUOTE]

Became Cavalry Squadrons in 1982 but existed under the blanket of the Cavalry Corps since their inception in 1940

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spot on.

20. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Worth noting the OC GoH slipping his hand under DeVs arm to guide him around the Guard as at this him his sight had deteriorated to the point that he couldn't make out faces up close. He had surrendered his driving licence as far back as 1934 because of his failing sight, although driving was a real passion of his.
    Good eyes
    But then you see DeV telling him to remove his arm

May have been a Commandant's GoH (rather than a Captain's) at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    They are definitely FCA Pearse Bn. Integration started 1959

22. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are definitely FCA Pearse Bn.
    Not Pearse Battalion as they paraded last time as a unit on 30th September 1959 as a presidential GoH to De Valera at Terenure.

From

A History of the Pearse Battalion 1946 - 1959 , by Dr. Louis O'Brien.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    They are definitely FCA Pearse Bn. Integration started 1959
    20th Bn FCA. Pearse Bn became a coy of 20th Bn in 1959 ("Integration"). I was on that parade and still have the black beret.
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely FCA. It was Pearse Company. Each company in 20th Bn had their own flash and at the time Pearse Company would have been at company plus strength. Also I have listened to Louis talking about that GOH by the Pearse far too many times.

26. Likes Vickers, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry can't add 1916+50 isn't 1956

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like

29. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes morpheus, DeV, Tempest, Burt liked this post
    Dislikes hptmurphy disliked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    That music is worse than what they use now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of that footage is pre 1994.

Ciara and Orla were commissioned in 1988 as is pictured here and the class of recruits leaving the square are from early 1988.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deirdre had got rid of her Lifeboat much sooner too. Maybe DFAV only put it together in 1994? Great to see how far things have come since then, in terms of kit and equipment. Divers no longer have to run to the decompression chamber, it is waiting for them when they get out of the water, either on the back of a truck, or on the deck of a ship. Firefighting gear is on a par with the best available to public and private firefighting units outside the main gate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Some of that footage is pre 1994.

Ciara and Orla were commissioned in 1988 as is pictured here and the class of recruits leaving the square are from early 1988.
    The fact the parade were carrying FNs was another giveaway !
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Deirdre had got rid of her Lifeboat much sooner too
    1986, but the life boat doesn't feature in the footage, She continued to carry both boarding and liberty boats in the original falls after the lifeboat had been removed, but did require ballast to balance her out.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Air Corps Get New Aircraft to Protect of Irish Waters 1995"

36. Thanks Shaqra, Sarsfield thanked for this post
    Likes Herald, na grohmiti, DeV liked this post

Thread Information