Thanks Thanks:  210
Likes Likes:  283
Dislikes Dislikes:  24
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 331
  1. #301
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The second clip is quite interesting. The air corps seemed to know exactly the limitations of the Dauphin, and the Lt Col being interviewed described exactly their worst case scenario, with 248 in the background. Unfortunately that scenario more or less described how 248 was lost.
    Charlie was some waffler. Very trump like.
    The quiet spoken civilian interviewed towards the end of the clip about keeping an eye on vessel movements is Daire Brunicardi, naval historian and former Lt Cdr. His father Niall was also an LtCdr in the early days of the Naval service and Daire's son Michael is currently LtCdr and O.C of L.E. James Joyce. Gentlemen each one.

    The third clip surprised me. A year before I joined. Yamaha XS400. Still being used by the Military Police in 1992. Replaced by the Kawasaki Gt550. Didn't realise the EoH wore leather gaiters over the standard boot. I assumed they wore proper motorcycle boots. Griffith was one of the first Dublin barracks to close.
    In the clip about MRCC Shannon I remember the Officer in Charge as I trained him and his controllers from Shannon ATC in Haulbowline and then spent two weeks with them in Shannon control in an advisory role. The overall situation at the time and quick political footwork is reminiscent of our blindness to our international obligation and duty of care to those in peril at sea. The Brits will do it was an overt policy and Departmental migration of responsibility was a continuous process. Marine used to be lumped with Agriculture and mainly concerned itself with Fishery matters. Marine that adds to the strength of the Nation was a laissez-faire matter and has led to no ETV, loss of a Merchant Navy, butchery of port facilities, and under provision of ship repair and building.

  2. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
  3. #302
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.

  4. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes sofa liked this post
  5. #303
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.
    I remember in 1982, welders in verolme (with no orders on the books) were demanding £200 per week, at a time when the average industrial wage was under £100.
    This kind of carry on did permanent damage to workplace relations in Ireland.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  6. Likes DeV, Flamingo, EUFighter liked this post
  7. #304
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    A number of RTE reports from 1988.

    Air Corps Helicopter Training


    Dublin Firemen Begin Strike


    Book On Army Badges


    POA Criticises Army Actions


    Aer Corps (sic) Pilots Leave For More Lucrative Jobs


    Ban On Air Corps Resignations


    Minister Visits Navy Patrol Vessels

  8. Thanks na grohmiti, DeV, Flamingo, Shaqra, Tempest, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  9. #305
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few more from 1988.

    Pay Row In The Defence Forces


    Naval Exercises Off East Coast


    Closure Of Griffith Barracks


    Iran-Iraq Military Police Unit


    Army Gets New Rifle


    New Patrol Vessels Arrive In Cork


    Demand For Two Rescue Bases

  10. Thanks na grohmiti, Truck Driver, Flamingo, Sarsfield, Burt thanked for this post
  11. #306
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the Portlaoise incident well. The gunner in question didn't have to buy pints for quite a while after, apparently. Unfortunately the intended recipient of those gifts from FN FAL of Herstal, was released by a court some time later.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/collecti...tradition-row/
    The british tabloids had a good ole laugh at paddy releasing, arresting and re-releasing an alleged terrorist and had many keystone cops like cartoons to explain this situation to their readership. At the end of the day, the fault usually lay in the British Extradition warrants, but this was just one of many extradition attempts that went wrong due to the local DJ making a flawed presumption on legislation with which he would have had little dealings . It set a nasty precedent where a person arrested for a terrorist offence had to be released after arrest outside a garda station, to be re-arrested for the purpose of being extradited, once the warrant was approved. At the end of the day a District justice should never have been given the responsibility to make this decision. The House of commons were baying for blood, but their AG was stoic in his support for the Irish process and authorities.
    https://api.parliament.uk/historic-h...atrick-mcveigh
    Later legistlation closed this loophole, and the extradition process seemed to go much smoother. Sadly new rules mean we never got to find out exactly what Mr McVeigh got up to before or after his short lesson on the sound an incoming 7.62x51mm NATO makes. I'm sure he saw the error of his ways and went off to live a life as a law abiding citizen somewhere...
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  12. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes sofa, Shaqra, Truck Driver liked this post
  13. #307
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    The report on the Steyr mentions the rifle was acquired through a subsidiary.
    That subsidiary was called Steyr-Barter.
    The countertrade was valued at over £1 million which would not have covered the cost of all the rifles, so the butter mountain didn't pay for them all.

  14. Likes DeV liked this post
  15. #308
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.
    The older welders acted the B****k looking to force a redundancy situation even if it caused the jobs of the other younger workers.
    Same with SR technics in Dublin Lads who worked the landing gear would not accept the latest agreements.

  16. Likes GoneToTheCanner liked this post
  17. #309
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I remember the Portlaoise incident well. The gunner in question didn't have to buy pints for quite a while after, apparently. Unfortunately the intended recipient of those gifts from FN FAL of Herstal, was released by a court some time later.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/collecti...tradition-row/
    The british tabloids had a good ole laugh at paddy releasing, arresting and re-releasing an alleged terrorist and had many keystone cops like cartoons to explain this situation to their readership. At the end of the day, the fault usually lay in the British Extradition warrants, but this was just one of many extradition attempts that went wrong due to the local DJ making a flawed presumption on legislation with which he would have had little dealings . It set a nasty precedent where a person arrested for a terrorist offence had to be released after arrest outside a garda station, to be re-arrested for the purpose of being extradited, once the warrant was approved. At the end of the day a District justice should never have been given the responsibility to make this decision. The House of commons were baying for blood, but their AG was stoic in his support for the Irish process and authorities.
    https://api.parliament.uk/historic-h...atrick-mcveigh
    Later legistlation closed this loophole, and the extradition process seemed to go much smoother. Sadly new rules mean we never got to find out exactly what Mr McVeigh got up to before or after his short lesson on the sound an incoming 7.62x51mm NATO makes. I'm sure he saw the error of his ways and went off to live a life as a law abiding citizen somewhere...
    So they were real bullets.

  18. #310
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The behaviour of union members destroyed Verolme; I knew one and he described in detail to me how it was done. Same for Fords and dozens of other Irish companies and to this day, some companies are clinging on by their fingertips because of stupid union demands.
    Unions do at times have a problem but there was also the problem of fat cats at the time, acquiring swaths of the irish economy and living mostly abroad with very little payment of taxes to our Revenue. The government closed down VCD as that company requested a window of subsidy to allow them hunt for orders . The request was for around 1 or 2 million euros. In the event the managers Let Go LE Eithne on 8/11/1984, closed the gates of VCD and went back to Holland. The older ones remained and retired locally. The Government, in the same year , also shut down ISL and wiped out our only deep-sea shipping company.

  19. #311
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    The report on the Steyr mentions the rifle was acquired through a subsidiary.
    That subsidiary was called Steyr-Barter.
    The countertrade was valued at over £1 million which would not have covered the cost of all the rifles, so the butter mountain didn't pay for them all.
    What was the difference in the cost of the rifles with and without the offset deal?
    Very often the offset just pushes up the price as the other company/nation has to get rid of something they do not want in the first place. But make politicians look good, "we are buy xxxx but they will be taking zzzz from us".

  20. #312
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    What was the difference in the cost of the rifles with and without the offset deal?
    Very often the offset just pushes up the price as the other company/nation has to get rid of something they do not want in the first place. But make politicians look good, "we are buy xxxx but they will be taking zzzz from us".
    I spent, between two ships building, about 2 years in VCD . They had a repair contract with the Russian Atlantic Fishing Fleet . Their budgets were tight in cash but they occasionally offered cases of boots as part payment for extra jobs. The need might be that a full length of pipe , flange to flange needed replacing, whereas the Russian Superintendent wanted the corroded bit clipped and repaired. The ships Engineer would negotiate a deal by trading goods. VCD had to sell boots to get their money but seemed happy to do so. Russians always trade.

  21. Thanks EUFighter, Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes GoneToTheCanner liked this post
  22. #313
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Army Operational Readiness 1985



    An RTE News report broadcast on 28 May 1985.

  23. Thanks Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes Pegasus, Burt liked this post
  24. #314
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ponchos. In Mayo.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  25. #315
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Army Operational Readiness 1985



    An RTE News report broadcast on 28 May 1985.
    Exercise but hard to see if BFAs fitted

  26. #316
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FN BFA was nearly impossible to see (and way too easy to fall off).
    Why does RTE insist on using Adobe FLASH?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  27. #317
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The FN BFA was nearly impossible to see (and way too easy to fall off).
    Why does RTE insist on using Adobe FLASH?
    Was relatively distinctive when you know what to look for though. The dark red didn’t help but the shape did

  28. #318
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Was relatively distinctive when you know what to look for though. The dark red didn’t help but the shape did
    Dark red? You must have had new ones...
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  29. Likes Shaqra liked this post
  30. #319
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like


    British Pathe clip 1970 (no sound) Southern Command flash and the older FCA uniform. (Bumfreezers- After Bullswool but before the Tunic with Red Epaulettes). Any idea of the location? Its somewhere in Co. Clare possibly based on the Car Reg. I thought it was Bandon or Clonakilty at first but there appears to be water in the background in some shots.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  31. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
  32. #320
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,139
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post


    British Pathe clip 1970 (no sound) Southern Command flash and the older FCA uniform. (Bumfreezers- After Bullswool but before the Tunic with Red Epaulettes). Any idea of the location? Its somewhere in Co. Clare possibly based on the Car Reg. I thought it was Bandon or Clonakilty at first but there appears to be water in the background in some shots.
    Given the weather and season, is it a rehearsal for St Patrick’s Day?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  33. #321
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Given the weather and season, is it a rehearsal for St Patrick’s Day?
    Looks like a Christmas tree towards the end?

  34. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
  35. #322
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, but how does the presence of a christmas tree tell us where it is?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  36. #323
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Well done, but how does the presence of a christmas tree tell us where it is?
    “Given the weather and the season, is it a rehearsal for St.Patricks Day”

  37. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  38. #324
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,139
    Post Thanks / Like
    A mix of BullsWool uniform, Brodie Helmets, Mk4 Lee Enfields, Gustav SMG's, Landrovers and what looks like a Jeep at one point!

    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  39. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti liked this post
  40. #325
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post


    British Pathe clip 1970 (no sound) Southern Command flash and the older FCA uniform. (Bumfreezers- After Bullswool but before the Tunic with Red Epaulettes). Any idea of the location? Its somewhere in Co. Clare possibly based on the Car Reg. I thought it was Bandon or Clonakilty at first but there appears to be water in the background in some shots.
    It looks like Scariff Co. Clare

  41. Thanks na grohmiti, Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •