No announcement yet.

Queens Diamond Jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herald - now that everything has gone 'Digital' - i didn't know if licencing prevented UK TV being shown in Ireland.

good news is - i suppose you get to see all our recruitment ads

anyhow- good coverage on Sky News with most of the foot guards standing by in Wellington Barracks.

look out for WO1 Billy Mott - he is a legend and one to be avoided when visiting Wellington Barracks (i say that from experience):

RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      Herald - now that everything has gone 'Digital' - i didn't know if licencing prevented UK TV being shown in Ireland.

Pretty difficult to do that........................seeing as the BBC don't do adds.... ;-)

Comment

parades and royalty moving up and down the Mall between the Palace and Westminster with plenty of soldiers and military bands in attendance, along
        thousands of troops involved, and tens of thousands of the public in attendance with plenty to see.
        That's just a posh way to get from A to B

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
          Pretty difficult to do that........................seeing as the BBC don't do adds.... ;-)
          Pretty easy to that...................seeing as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, Channel 4, E4, More4, FIVE, 5* and 5USA to name but a few all broadcast ads and are part of our recruitment campaign.

i said UK TV, not BBC

anyhow - good to see so many public being entertained by the troops today, Irish Guards due to fire volleys for the first time in such a ceremonial role very soon.
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 5 June 2012, 16:06.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

But, if watching UK TV via Sky, the ads are for an Irish audience, so you won't see british army recruiting ads.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Who gives a sh*te honestly... about the ads i mean... im just enjoying all the guns and militaria on show on tv!
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                Who gives a sh*te honestly... about the ads i mean... im just enjoying all the guns and militaria on show on tv!
                me too mate - that's what makes it for me.

glad the flypast went ahead and great to see the Irish Guards firing volleys then Grounding Arms and cheering the Queen.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

A pity that the person in BBC directors box kept switching cameras during the salute and messing it up for tv viewing ,it all looked out of context .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

great concert and the Brits can do the business head & shoulders above most other armies. Well done to all great viewing

Comment

• Thought the volley was going to be like the one fired from the roof of the GPO in 1966. That said, great to see the ground arms is still a drill movement.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• In your own time, watch and shoot, watch and shoot...

CHARLIE TAYLOR

Ireland has long been used to losing its artists and sport stars to Britain whenever they are successful, but Starbucks is now seeking to find out just how loyal all Irish people are to the crown.

Over the years Ireland the likes of Pádraig Harrington, Chris O'Dowd, Bono and Barry McGuigan have all been claimed as British by our neighbours, something which has long rankled people here.

Showing a distinct lack of knowledge regarding relations between Britain and Ireland, the well-known coffee chain when one further today when it used its local Twitter account to ask people what it is that makes them most proud to be British.

Not surprisingly, Irish twitter users have proven to be less than loyal subjects and despite the Jubilee celebrations, have responded with outrage to the offending tweet.

In less than an hour after the tweet was sent, Starbucks was trending in Ireland as people reacted to the marketing failure.

While Queen Elizabeth II was warmly welcomed during her four-day State visit to the Republic last year, it would seem from the response that Irish citizens aren't ready to rejoin the Commonwealth just yet.

Starbucks has 17 stores in the Republic. According to its latest figures, Starbucks has turned around the fortunes of its Irish business, making a profit of €490,000 in the year to October 2011, compared with a loss of €3.3 million the previous year.

However, given its marketing failure profits may be down somewhat in the future.

No spokesperson was immediately available for comment.
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• That's funny :-) - very American
                          Last edited by Orion; 5 June 2012, 19:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            me too mate - that's what makes it for me.

glad the flypast went ahead and great to see the Irish Guards firing volleys then Grounding Arms and cheering the Queen.
                            RGJ - I was at Wellington Barracks at the beginning and the IG got a very public bollocking for not being able to stand easy.

Otherwise, it made me all very homesick ...I think there were far more IG from Bulawayo than from Belfast, and I have the photos.

Comment

• plenty of British in Ireland - it is their day / weekend to celebrate, well done Starbucks Ireland i say.

i don't see many people getting upset seeing green pints in my local on March 17th every year.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Yanks in starbucks wouldn't know any better, the public adoration next door is pretty similar to how the North Koreans carry on, the Saxe-Coberg Gotha house have done well for themselves.
                                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X