Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  116
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    In your own time, watch and shoot, watch and shoot...

CHARLIE TAYLOR

Ireland has long been used to losing its artists and sport stars to Britain whenever they are successful, but Starbucks is now seeking to find out just how loyal all Irish people are to the crown.

Over the years Ireland the likes of Pádraig Harrington, Chris O'Dowd, Bono and Barry McGuigan have all been claimed as British by our neighbours, something which has long rankled people here.

Showing a distinct lack of knowledge regarding relations between Britain and Ireland, the well-known coffee chain when one further today when it used its local Twitter account to ask people what it is that makes them most proud to be British.

Not surprisingly, Irish twitter users have proven to be less than loyal subjects and despite the Jubilee celebrations, have responded with outrage to the offending tweet.

In less than an hour after the tweet was sent, Starbucks was trending in Ireland as people reacted to the marketing failure.

While Queen Elizabeth II was warmly welcomed during her four-day State visit to the Republic last year, it would seem from the response that Irish citizens aren't ready to rejoin the Commonwealth just yet.

Starbucks has 17 stores in the Republic. According to its latest figures, Starbucks has turned around the fortunes of its Irish business, making a profit of €490,000 in the year to October 2011, compared with a loss of €3.3 million the previous year.

However, given its marketing failure profits may be down somewhat in the future.

No spokesperson was immediately available for comment.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking30.html
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Post Thanks / Like
    That's funny :-) - very American
    Last edited by Orion; 5th June 2012 at 18:43.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    me too mate - that's what makes it for me.

glad the flypast went ahead and great to see the Irish Guards firing volleys then Grounding Arms and cheering the Queen.
    RGJ - I was at Wellington Barracks at the beginning and the IG got a very public bollocking for not being able to stand easy.

Otherwise, it made me all very homesick ...I think there were far more IG from Bulawayo than from Belfast, and I have the photos.

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    plenty of British in Ireland - it is their day / weekend to celebrate, well done Starbucks Ireland i say.

i don't see many people getting upset seeing green pints in my local on March 17th every year.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

5. Likes sofa liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yanks in starbucks wouldn't know any better, the public adoration next door is pretty similar to how the North Koreans carry on, the Saxe-Coberg Gotha house have done well for themselves.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    going back to Irish people been honored by the Queen is it any wonder as we have no national awards to hour our citizens. All Countries have an Honors System except Ireland.

Why don't we have the following:
    1.Order for Ireland
    2.Member of Ireland
    3.President's Order
    4.St Patrick's Order is still there and could be re-introduced.
    5.An Bonn Éire (Ireland Medal) Military & Civil

We need and Honours System but keep the politicians away from it and have a board of members from various walks of life Military,Garda,Sport,business & the President of Ireland etc

LET IRELAND HONOUR ITS PEOPLE IN ADDITION.

8. Likes The real Jack, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Mr Myers:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...s-3127088.html

Her father no doubt stood gazing through the rain-lashed windows on that wet dawn in June and wondered if that day his armies and his navy were not sailing to a common ruin. Nine years later, she gazed through the same windows, on to similarly dolorous rainclouds on another wet dawn in June, wondering if the abominable weather was about to ruin the greatest moments of her young life. And last Sunday, 59 years on from that day, she no doubt gazed at yet another wet dawn in June and sighed: sorry God. I'm used to it now.

It is possible to say it now in Ireland, in large part because she has made it so, whereas an opinion such as that follows would once have been greeted with derision and caterwauling: Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, is truly one of the greatest living human beings. The only rival for our unstinting respect that I can think of is Nelson Mandela. Their merits belong to different orders, of course. He was of humble stock, and by the sheer power of his moral suasion, brought about the downfall of the absurd, toxic and inhuman political system of apartheid. She could not really have come from higher stock, and passively oversaw only the downfall of the empire that her country had created over centuries. How can the two compare?

Well, her true glory was not in greatness, but in smallness: tiny, quotidian duties tirelessly done, unseen by most people, day after day after day, for six indefatigable decades. She did no harm, and said no harm, for all those years. Eleven prime ministers served under her: none were close to her in moral worth, and most of them -- save perhaps the almost invisible Alec Douglas-Hume, and the very visible Margaret Thatcher -- were deeply contemptible people, from that bibulous old windbag Churchill, to the reptile Blair. She listened; she was polite; they left; she sighed, her duty done again.

We in Ireland saw how she discharged that duty, hour by hour, just a year ago. And those of us who had argued for so long that it was merely common sense to have a visit from the head of state from our nearest neighbour finally understood what our political classes had understood through those decades. They feared her impact. They feared her popularity. But once they had accepted that she was coming, oh how they so jealously hoarded the invitations to meet her! They who had once shunned her now coveted her, meanwhile sedulously excluding from all official functions those who had for years sought such a visit.

No surprises then: for our political class is rather good at excluding. In the month of the queen's coronation, in June 1953 alone, this State banned 51 books, one by Jomo Kenyatta, who later became Kenya's first head of state, and an honoured guest of the queen. The British magazine, 'Picture Post' was also banned that month, presumably because its coverage of the coronation was too effusive -- and the ban was almost certainly illegal, because the censorship board could only act upon a complaint from the public, whereas this particular issue was seized upon arrival by Customs. In other words, the political establishment's fear of real popular feeling in the enclosed, elite-intimidated society that was Ireland.

She came to her throne when much of Africa and Asia was ruled by her governors general. Her navy and air force and heavy industries were amongst the most powerful in the world. Sixty years on, she is monarch of a third-rate power that is a far better country than it was then. Though it seems to manufacture almost nothing any more, at least it governs no people that do not choose to be so governed. Her place in the affections of people has been won by six decades of diligent duty, of loyal, of steadfast fidelity to an institution of royalty that has changed as much as has her kingdom in that time. It was a near-run thing that television cameras were even allowed inside Westminster Abbey for her coronation in 1953. Perhaps the royal loo is the only place in Buckingham Palace that these days is forbidden to them.

Even up until recent times, any expression of regard for the queen in this country would have been rewarded with that usual Hibernian instrument of social enforcement, the sneer, that cur-like tribal-sheepdog whose function is to keep the flock in line. Indeed, but for her triumphant visit last year, the sneer might still have some political or social power; but not anymore. For who in Ireland -- no matter their age -- could endure such a closely managed, arduous routine as she did on her visit, and does almost every day of her life, though she now be closer to 100 than to the three score and 10 that is man's natural allotted span? One is now finally free to admire Queen Elizabeth, as I frankly confess I do, without becoming an object of scorn.

Game, set and match, Your Majesty.

Irish Independent

Somewhere in the vicinity of Beetlegeuse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The volley the Irish Guards performed has a name to it "*something*-de-jois", anybody get the full name of it??, was good to see a senior officer (a Major-General I think it was), leading the volley!!
    "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Yanks in starbucks wouldn't know any better, the public adoration next door is pretty similar to how the North Koreans carry on, the Saxe-Coberg Gotha house have done well for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by goc132 View Post
    going back to Irish people been honored by the Queen is it any wonder as we have no national awards to hour our citizens. All Countries have an Honors System except Ireland.

Why don't we have the following:
    1.Order for Ireland
    2.Member of Ireland
    3.President's Order
    4.St Patrick's Order is still there and could be re-introduced.
    5.An Bonn Éire (Ireland Medal) Military & Civil

We need and Honours System but keep the politicians away from it and have a board of members from various walks of life Military,Garda,Sport,business & the President of Ireland etc

LET IRELAND HONOUR ITS PEOPLE IN ADDITION.
    P Flynn MOI

Seanie Fitz- Presidents Order

Lowery OOI

Sean Quinn st Patricks Order

Maybe we should be glad we don't have honours
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

12. Likes sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    P Flynn MOI

Seanie Fitz- Presidents Order

Lowery OOI

Sean Quinn st Patricks Order

Maybe we should be glad we don't have honours
    Wouldn't all of these qualify for a Money Order?

I'll get my coat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good article by Mr Myers.

I see he holds B-Liar in the same high esteem I do "...the reptile Blair".

Sickening thing is Blair comes from Donegal stock.

I like Donegal people...they are largely, in my experience, very decent folk.

So what went wrong with Tony...
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Post Thanks / Like
    feu de joie
    noun \fœ̅dəzhwȧ\
    plfeux de joie

Definition of FEU DE JOIE

: a salute fired by rifles in rapid succession along a line of troops (as to celebrate a victory)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    So let me get this straight because i am confused.You are comparing the people of the UK to North Koreans?
    A country which is our most valuable trading partner,a country that has given generation after generation of Irish people jobs when our own country couldn't,a country that is a fellow member of the EU, a country that was one of the first to offer us financial assistance when we elected gombeens and thiefs that ruined our economy, a country that if the shit hit the fan militarily here would no doubt come to our aid, a democracy that has a queen as opposed to a president but whose people choose it so.
    These are the people you are comparing to North Koreans? A subjugated,starving oppressed people who wouldn't know democracy if it bit them in the ass?? A people of a country ruled by a dictator who was never elected,who uses fear to rule.A country which is one of the poorest in the world and who would send all of us to our doom given half the chance.
    Yup.That sounds like a real comparison of like with like.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

17. Thanks RoyalGreenJacket, sofa thanked for this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Translated , Fire of Joy or Fireworks of Joy .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    So let me get this straight because i am confused.You are comparing the people of the UK to North Koreans?
    A country which is our most valuable trading partner,a country that has given generation after generation of Irish people jobs when our own country couldn't,a country that is a fellow member of the EU, a country that was one of the first to offer us financial assistance when we elected gombeens and thiefs that ruined our economy, a country that if the shit hit the fan militarily here would no doubt come to our aid, a democracy that has a queen as opposed to a president but whose people choose it so.
    These are the people you are comparing to North Koreans? A subjugated,starving oppressed people who wouldn't know democracy if it bit them in the ass?? A people of a country ruled by a dictator who was never elected,who uses fear to rule.A country which is one of the poorest in the world and who would send all of us to our doom given half the chance.
    Yup.That sounds like a real comparison of like with like.
    and not forgetting the UK also gave Ireland a jant on the Olympic Torch in Dubin today (who the feck thought it would be good for Jedward to carry it though?!).
    RGJ

The Rifles

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were hopeing their hair would catch on fire .

21. Likes RoyalGreenJacket, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    and not forgetting the UK also gave Ireland a jant on the Olympic Torch in Dubin today (who the feck thought it would be good for Jedward to carry it though?!).
    Jedward, before they became international Pop Superstars, were established track and Field athletes in their Native Kildare.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    Good article by Mr Myers.

I see he holds B-Liar in the same high esteem I do "...the reptile Blair".

Sickening thing is Blair comes from Donegal stock.

I like Donegal people...they are largely, in my experience, very decent folk.

So what went wrong with Tony...
    St johns oxford

24. Likes spider liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A country which is our most valuable trading partner,
    and we one of theirs

a country that has given generation after generation of Irish people jobs when our own country couldn't,
    So because they offer employment we're meant to adore their head of state?

a country that was one of the first to offer us financial assistance
    This aid which was neccessary in their interest, which we pay a heavy price for.

when we elected gombeens and thiefs that ruined our economy,
    And how many of their gombeens in the City are profiting from the "assistance" they are giving?

a country that if the shit hit the fan militarily here would no doubt come to our aid
    This was the country that colluded with or ignored the Dublin and Monahan bombers?

The Plebs lining up to see their dear leader, who did nothing other than happen be born into the anointed family...yes it's so different to North Korea.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

26. Dislikes RoyalGreenJacket, spider disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    and we one of theirs
    I wonder who could afford more to live without the other???

So because they offer employment we're meant to adore their head of state?
    Who the fcuk said that??? If you live in another country you respect their laws and their customs.You are not required to adore their head of state.unless you live in North Korea.Which the UK isn't.

This aid which was neccessary in their interest, which we pay a heavy price for.
    They could have just as easily told us to boil our heads.they don't owe us SFA.Nice though how ungrateful you are to the people who bailed us out when we needed it.

And how many of their gombeens in the City are profiting from the "assistance" they are giving?
    I dunno.You tell me.

This was the country that colluded with or ignored the Dublin and Monahan bombers?
    Because we were so much better? Refresh my memory but isn't there an inquiry going on in Dublin accusing US of collusion aswell?? Oh and lets not forget the Arms trial scandal.

The Plebs lining up to see their dear leader, who did nothing other than happen be born into the anointed family...yes it's so different to North Kore
    Hey.You don't have to like their system.But its theirs.They like it.They don't seem to want to change and they are a democracy unlike North Korea.

You are showing your true colours now mate.It's not RGJ you don't like.Its Brits.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

28. Likes Jungle, RoyalGreenJacket, spider liked this post
    Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure Mrs Windsor is a lovely old lady, she is the same age as my Mom who raised a large family without the state assistance or maids etc that she enjoyed , Now she deserves a medal.. Anyway anyone who reaches 80 plus deserves some respect, what can I do it is the way I was reared,, Respect etc.
    However the whole idea of the monarchy, the British upper class system which it supports and in turn supports it is based on the exploitation of the other classes both in England and abroad . The whole colonial thing was about stealing resources and creating subject people. Yes the working class in England go ga ga over it, its romantic, makes them think of something else and together with football beer and sex keeps them happy,
    Post colonial experiences have also not been entirely positive.. But how Irish people can go ga ga over the Queen and all it represents is incredulous .. The British Empire exploited , raped and slaughtered Irish people for centuries , Often with the connivance of “ Irish regiments “ who were often officered by the landed gentry ,,
    So while one can understand chaps like RGJ being truly British one would hope for a higher level of reasoning from the general Irish public.. then again they vote some of the biggest shite hawks in the world into power.. People///

Post Thanks / Like
    We have the best of people that have brought pride to this country i.e. Ronnie Delaney,Michael Carruth etc but we as a nation only have doctorates from university to award them my God we have to stand on our own sometime.
    By the way that's only my opinon.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread reminds me of Monty Pyton's, Life of Brian when the National Peoples Front for the Liberation of Judea are discussing what the Romen's ever did for them .

32. Likes RoyalGreenJacket, apod, Flamingo liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    British Waterpolo team being allowed to prepare in Dublin's National Aquatic Centre. Also after much pleading by there Association We have included them in

a top eight teams in the world pre-olympic competition in Dublin this July. That alone is surely worth 4 hours of the torch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    British Waterpolo team being allowed to prepare in Dublin's National Aquatic Centre. Also after much pleading by there Association We have included them in

a top eight teams in the world pre-olympic competition in Dublin this July. That alone is surely worth 4 hours of the torch.
    luckily for us - we have the British Female Synchronised Swimming Team training in the Army's pool in Aldershot - who needs a torch?

seriously though - nobody owes anyone anything regarding the torch - it's just a nice gesture and i'm glad it happened.
    RGJ

The Rifles

35. Likes Flamingo liked this post

Thread Information