No announcement yet.

Queens Diamond Jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going back to Irish people been honored by the Queen is it any wonder as we have no national awards to hour our citizens. All Countries have an Honors System except Ireland.

Why don't we have the following:
    1.Order for Ireland
    2.Member of Ireland
    3.President's Order
    4.St Patrick's Order is still there and could be re-introduced.
    5.An Bonn Éire (Ireland Medal) Military & Civil

We need and Honours System but keep the politicians away from it and have a board of members from various walks of life Military,Garda,Sport,business & the President of Ireland etc

LET IRELAND HONOUR ITS PEOPLE IN ADDITION.

Comment

• From Mr Myers:

Her father no doubt stood gazing through the rain-lashed windows on that wet dawn in June and wondered if that day his armies and his navy were not sailing to a common ruin. Nine years later, she gazed through the same windows, on to similarly dolorous rainclouds on another wet dawn in June, wondering if the abominable weather was about to ruin the greatest moments of her young life. And last Sunday, 59 years on from that day, she no doubt gazed at yet another wet dawn in June and sighed: sorry God. I'm used to it now.

It is possible to say it now in Ireland, in large part because she has made it so, whereas an opinion such as that follows would once have been greeted with derision and caterwauling: Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, is truly one of the greatest living human beings. The only rival for our unstinting respect that I can think of is Nelson Mandela. Their merits belong to different orders, of course. He was of humble stock, and by the sheer power of his moral suasion, brought about the downfall of the absurd, toxic and inhuman political system of apartheid. She could not really have come from higher stock, and passively oversaw only the downfall of the empire that her country had created over centuries. How can the two compare?

Well, her true glory was not in greatness, but in smallness: tiny, quotidian duties tirelessly done, unseen by most people, day after day after day, for six indefatigable decades. She did no harm, and said no harm, for all those years. Eleven prime ministers served under her: none were close to her in moral worth, and most of them -- save perhaps the almost invisible Alec Douglas-Hume, and the very visible Margaret Thatcher -- were deeply contemptible people, from that bibulous old windbag Churchill, to the reptile Blair. She listened; she was polite; they left; she sighed, her duty done again.

We in Ireland saw how she discharged that duty, hour by hour, just a year ago. And those of us who had argued for so long that it was merely common sense to have a visit from the head of state from our nearest neighbour finally understood what our political classes had understood through those decades. They feared her impact. They feared her popularity. But once they had accepted that she was coming, oh how they so jealously hoarded the invitations to meet her! They who had once shunned her now coveted her, meanwhile sedulously excluding from all official functions those who had for years sought such a visit.

No surprises then: for our political class is rather good at excluding. In the month of the queen's coronation, in June 1953 alone, this State banned 51 books, one by Jomo Kenyatta, who later became Kenya's first head of state, and an honoured guest of the queen. The British magazine, 'Picture Post' was also banned that month, presumably because its coverage of the coronation was too effusive -- and the ban was almost certainly illegal, because the censorship board could only act upon a complaint from the public, whereas this particular issue was seized upon arrival by Customs. In other words, the political establishment's fear of real popular feeling in the enclosed, elite-intimidated society that was Ireland.

She came to her throne when much of Africa and Asia was ruled by her governors general. Her navy and air force and heavy industries were amongst the most powerful in the world. Sixty years on, she is monarch of a third-rate power that is a far better country than it was then. Though it seems to manufacture almost nothing any more, at least it governs no people that do not choose to be so governed. Her place in the affections of people has been won by six decades of diligent duty, of loyal, of steadfast fidelity to an institution of royalty that has changed as much as has her kingdom in that time. It was a near-run thing that television cameras were even allowed inside Westminster Abbey for her coronation in 1953. Perhaps the royal loo is the only place in Buckingham Palace that these days is forbidden to them.

Even up until recent times, any expression of regard for the queen in this country would have been rewarded with that usual Hibernian instrument of social enforcement, the sneer, that cur-like tribal-sheepdog whose function is to keep the flock in line. Indeed, but for her triumphant visit last year, the sneer might still have some political or social power; but not anymore. For who in Ireland -- no matter their age -- could endure such a closely managed, arduous routine as she did on her visit, and does almost every day of her life, though she now be closer to 100 than to the three score and 10 that is man's natural allotted span? One is now finally free to admire Queen Elizabeth, as I frankly confess I do, without becoming an object of scorn.

Game, set and match, Your Majesty.

Irish Independent
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• The volley the Irish Guards performed has a name to it "*something*-de-jois", anybody get the full name of it??, was good to see a senior officer (a Major-General I think it was), leading the volley!!
        "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          Yanks in starbucks wouldn't know any better, the public adoration next door is pretty similar to how the North Koreans carry on, the Saxe-Coberg Gotha house have done well for themselves.
          Originally posted by goc132 View Post
          going back to Irish people been honored by the Queen is it any wonder as we have no national awards to hour our citizens. All Countries have an Honors System except Ireland.

Why don't we have the following:
          1.Order for Ireland
          2.Member of Ireland
          3.President's Order
          4.St Patrick's Order is still there and could be re-introduced.
          5.An Bonn Éire (Ireland Medal) Military & Civil

We need and Honours System but keep the politicians away from it and have a board of members from various walks of life Military,Garda,Sport,business & the President of Ireland etc

LET IRELAND HONOUR ITS PEOPLE IN ADDITION.
          P Flynn MOI

Seanie Fitz- Presidents Order

Lowery OOI

Sean Quinn st Patricks Order

Maybe we should be glad we don't have honours
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            P Flynn MOI

Seanie Fitz- Presidents Order

Lowery OOI

Sean Quinn st Patricks Order

Maybe we should be glad we don't have honours
            Wouldn't all of these qualify for a Money Order?

I'll get my coat...
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Good article by Mr Myers.

I see he holds B-Liar in the same high esteem I do "...the reptile Blair".

Sickening thing is Blair comes from Donegal stock.

I like Donegal people...they are largely, in my experience, very decent folk.

So what went wrong with Tony...
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• feu de joie
                noun \fœ̅dəzhwȧ\
                plfeux de joie

Definition of FEU DE JOIE

: a salute fired by rifles in rapid succession along a line of troops (as to celebrate a victory)

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                  Yanks in starbucks wouldn't know any better, the public adoration next door is pretty similar to how the North Koreans carry on, the Saxe-Coberg Gotha house have done well for themselves.
                  So let me get this straight because i am confused.You are comparing the people of the UK to North Koreans?
                  A country which is our most valuable trading partner,a country that has given generation after generation of Irish people jobs when our own country couldn't,a country that is a fellow member of the EU, a country that was one of the first to offer us financial assistance when we elected gombeens and thiefs that ruined our economy, a country that if the shit hit the fan militarily here would no doubt come to our aid, a democracy that has a queen as opposed to a president but whose people choose it so.
                  These are the people you are comparing to North Koreans? A subjugated,starving oppressed people who wouldn't know democracy if it bit them in the ass?? A people of a country ruled by a dictator who was never elected,who uses fear to rule.A country which is one of the poorest in the world and who would send all of us to our doom given half the chance.
                  Yup.That sounds like a real comparison of like with like.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Translated , Fire of Joy or Fireworks of Joy .
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                      So let me get this straight because i am confused.You are comparing the people of the UK to North Koreans?
                      A country which is our most valuable trading partner,a country that has given generation after generation of Irish people jobs when our own country couldn't,a country that is a fellow member of the EU, a country that was one of the first to offer us financial assistance when we elected gombeens and thiefs that ruined our economy, a country that if the shit hit the fan militarily here would no doubt come to our aid, a democracy that has a queen as opposed to a president but whose people choose it so.
                      These are the people you are comparing to North Koreans? A subjugated,starving oppressed people who wouldn't know democracy if it bit them in the ass?? A people of a country ruled by a dictator who was never elected,who uses fear to rule.A country which is one of the poorest in the world and who would send all of us to our doom given half the chance.
                      Yup.That sounds like a real comparison of like with like.
                      and not forgetting the UK also gave Ireland a jant on the Olympic Torch in Dubin today (who the feck thought it would be good for Jedward to carry it though?!).
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• We were hopeing their hair would catch on fire .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          and not forgetting the UK also gave Ireland a jant on the Olympic Torch in Dubin today (who the feck thought it would be good for Jedward to carry it though?!).
                          Jedward, before they became international Pop Superstars, were established track and Field athletes in their Native Kildare.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by spider View Post
                            Good article by Mr Myers.

I see he holds B-Liar in the same high esteem I do "...the reptile Blair".

Sickening thing is Blair comes from Donegal stock.

I like Donegal people...they are largely, in my experience, very decent folk.

So what went wrong with Tony...
                            St johns oxford

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

A country which is our most valuable trading partner,
                              and we one of theirs

Originally posted by apod View Post

a country that has given generation after generation of Irish people jobs when our own country couldn't,
                              So because they offer employment we're meant to adore their head of state?

a country that was one of the first to offer us financial assistance
                              This aid which was neccessary in their interest, which we pay a heavy price for.

when we elected gombeens and thiefs that ruined our economy,
                              And how many of their gombeens in the City are profiting from the "assistance" they are giving?

a country that if the shit hit the fan militarily here would no doubt come to our aid
                              This was the country that colluded with or ignored the Dublin and Monahan bombers?

The Plebs lining up to see their dear leader, who did nothing other than happen be born into the anointed family...yes it's so different to North Korea.
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• and we one of theirs
                                I wonder who could afford more to live without the other???

So because they offer employment we're meant to adore their head of state?
                                Who the fcuk said that??? If you live in another country you respect their laws and their customs.You are not required to adore their head of state.unless you live in North Korea.Which the UK isn't.

This aid which was neccessary in their interest, which we pay a heavy price for.
                                They could have just as easily told us to boil our heads.they don't owe us SFA.Nice though how ungrateful you are to the people who bailed us out when we needed it.

And how many of their gombeens in the City are profiting from the "assistance" they are giving?
                                I dunno.You tell me.

This was the country that colluded with or ignored the Dublin and Monahan bombers?
                                Because we were so much better? Refresh my memory but isn't there an inquiry going on in Dublin accusing US of collusion aswell?? Oh and lets not forget the Arms trial scandal.

The Plebs lining up to see their dear leader, who did nothing other than happen be born into the anointed family...yes it's so different to North Kore
                                Hey.You don't have to like their system.But its theirs.They like it.They don't seem to want to change and they are a democracy unlike North Korea.

You are showing your true colours now mate.It's not RGJ you don't like.Its Brits.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X