New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Chief of Staff.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The CoS is definitely upping the ante when it comes to getting his and the DF's profile out since he was appointed. A move into politics in 2017?

Comment

• He'll be CoS for a while yet. Nowhere near retirement age.
        However he would be wasted in politics, a place where those with skill and intelligence are pushed to the back, and the parish pump gombeens and cute hoors succeed.

He has dragged DF PR out of the dark ages though and is leading, in that front by example. When I grew up, everything the DF did was a secret, behind closed gates. Recent CoS did their best to keep it so, contrary to best international practice.
        We live in a culture of transparency, where the citizen expects to see where his or her tax euro is going, and can see it is being used efficiently. Too much secrecy brings greater demand for unnecessary transparency.
        FOI legislation is being used by the shinners for all sorts of mischief.

The CoS is showing where the line is.

Comment

• I mentioned politics in jest but as you said, the CoS is still a young man yet and I get the feeling that he might have a post DF career ahead of him in the private sector. Only met the man a few times briefly but I must say that I was highly impressed on every occasion. He had a stratospheric vision for the Naval Service and he had the ability and drive to back it up. He's certainly going to be the most high profile CoS we've ever had especially with 1916 coming up next year. More power to the man.

Comment

• I have not met him personally but i know some who have when demonstrating some new things we are doing in the Corps. He is very enthusiastic and does have a wider vision for the defence forces.

The only issue there is that the DF is a beast that doesn't absorb change quickly. Telling a group of people to do something is one thing, but getting them to connect the dots is another thing altogether. We poke fun at the brass getting Masters and going off to the private sector, but it is a reality.

But in all my grumbling, if there was one man to change all; Its him.
            Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
            Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

• The only issue there is that the DF is a beast that doesn't absorb change quickly
              It will when its pushed from the top as opposed to through the top.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                It will when its pushed from the top as opposed to through the top.
                Again telling someone they have to do something and them doing something are two seperate things and i dont think you realise the difference.

The culture of "If i touch it ill be roped into owning it" is alive and well, this is the crux of the brain drain problem. You have back and white situations in the DF where one person knows alot and others do not, but in evaluating this you find the reason the others dont know as much as the person that does is because they would be on the hook for some extra work.

I worked recently with some of these people and quiet alot of these are carrying others, but they were more than happy to share their knowledge. The problem remains that people are not pushed to better themselfs, there is no consequence of coming off a 6 month commop course and sitting back and let the world go by.

If he is able to push down the required changes and motivate people then it will be great.
                Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

• If he is able to push down the required changes and motivate people then it will be great.
                  Picture this...

the COS issues a directive and 6 months later turns up a location and asks how the implementation has affected Private 'X'

Should Private 'X' look at the COS blankly and smile, everyone in his food chain will be looking forward to a very unvaried career picking up brass in some very isolated location.

While the COS may be look to be a smiley happy guy who seems to be all things to all people, he does have something to prove coming from where he does, and given some of the things he has done along the way , make for him to be one tough cookie.

Its not a bout the people on the ground looking up, but those looking up not wanting to be people on the ground.

The holiday period is over, he has done the meet and greet shit, I reckon work starts very soon.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• That would be ideal but the reality is that nothing will happen, especially not a move to picking up brass in an isolated location. When was the last time a CoS fired or relived a subordinate?

Though kings and tyrants come and go
                    A soldier's life is all they know
                    They'll live to fight another day
                    Over the hills and far away.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                      That would be ideal but the reality is that nothing will happen, especially not a move to picking up brass in an isolated location. When was the last time a CoS fired or relived a subordinate?

Though kings and tyrants come and go
                      A soldier's life is all they know
                      They'll live to fight another day
                      Over the hills and far away.
                      The CoS doesn't do it. Their immediate superior does, and it happens more often than you would hear. Bad news about those in higher posts doesn't make its way beyond the officers mess, and never downhill.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        The CoS doesn't do it. Their immediate superior does, and it happens more often than you would hear. Bad news about those in higher posts doesn't make its way beyond the officers mess, and never downhill.
                        I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Comment

• Perhaps it's time that did happen to show example to the troops that no one is above reproach?
                          To be fair most times the brass visit the troops smile and say NTR as they daren't piss off their immediate head shed.Even though its still a custom of the service I can't remember the last time one of the troops exercised the right to a private interview on the visit of the GoC for example.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                            Perhaps it's time that did happen to show example to the troops that no one is above reproach?
                            To be fair most times the brass visit the troops smile and say NTR as they daren't piss off their immediate head shed.Even though its still a custom of the service I can't remember the last time one of the troops exercised the right to a private interview on the visit of the GoC for example.

When the VADM was FOCNS, any address to the NS always included a Q&A at the end. A few issues he wouldnt have been aware of due to his position were resolved due to the Q&A.

I dont know if he has continued this kind of approach at DFHQ level.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Perhaps it's time that did happen to show example to the troops that no one is above reproach?
                              But should the subordinates be aware of what is in a 667 (108 is officers (or something like that))????

Isn't it A7 that says superior officers shouldn't be publicly rebuked
                              Last edited by trellheim; 28 December 2015, 19:17.

Comment

• But should the subordinates be aware of what is in a 667 (108 is officers (or something like that))????

Isn't it A7 that says superior officers shouldn't be publicly rebuked
                                Disciplinary proceedings are public and published in R.O's. 451s and 667s are confidential but you can be very sure that people love to hear about the howlers in the mess, for all ranks. Every unit and sub unit I've ever served in has its skeletons

Slim said it best "Nothing is so good for the morale of the troops as occasionally to see a dead general".
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X