• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Smithy View Post
    What Joint Task Force??
    JTF Fortitude

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      And is their any reason why the ACOS couldn't do that?
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Timing?
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          I know the words are english, but the sentence makes no sense. "general" and "redundant"? Instead of "redundant" I assume you mean "surplus".
          Ah I see what you did there. Like surplus assistant secretaries - like Defence Capability (people) for example

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
            Brig Gen Brian Cleary has been promoted and now commands the Joint Task Force
            So a modification of the ECF?
            New CS4?
            How many appointments for each service will be in this “Joint Task Force”?

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
              So a modification of the ECF?
              New CS4?
              It's a temp appointment as far as I'm aware. Once the JTF is stood down, so will the appointment. I am open to correction however.

No new CS4.

If prior form is any sort of indicator, the army will get a few mannequins in and put Navy and Blue uniforms on them. That'll tick the "joint" box.

There are a lot of silos and agendas to break down before there is any semblance of a "joint" command within the DF at any level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                It's a temp appointment as far as I'm aware. Once the JTF is stood down, so will the appointment. I am open to correction however.

No new CS4....
                Chances are someone higher in the chain is close to retirement, so the net effect of promoting replacements will probably result in this being a permanent appointment
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• What a really stupid time to change command and control. Talk about sowing confusion in a crisis

Comment

What a really stupid time to change command and control. Talk about sowing confusion in a crisis
                    Reminds of a quote that is often mistakenly attributed to Petronius.

We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
                    Last edited by CTU; 24 March 2020, 19:53.
                    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• So a modification of the ECF?
                      New CS4?
                      I was wondering that myself.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        Chances are someone higher in the chain is close to retirement, so the net effect of promoting replacements will probably result in this being a permanent appointment
                        Not sure who is next to retire and couldnt care less personally. However, in the absence of a formal promotion competition I would find it difficult to see him just 'slot in' to a Brig Gen Vacancy without a huge amount of objection from others.

I don't know the ins and outs as it is unprecedented to my knowledge but is akin to someone acting up except in this case, they are acting up into a vacancy that doesnt exist on CS4. All a bit strange.

By all accounts he is and excellent officer and very highly regarded so I'm glad that it's him heading it up.

There is a precedent of promoting an officer to general rank into a UN appointment but its usually a sunset trip and given on the basis that they retire when the appointment is due to be rotated.

Again to my knowledge, there has been no other promotions and personnel have been pulled in from all three services to man the service.
                        Last edited by Chuck; 24 March 2020, 20:05.

Comment

• A new comprehensive study shows just how devastating it can be. The study, which involves researchers from the University of East Anglia’s Norwich Business School in England, and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research, shows that restructuring in organisations has a largely negative effect on the welfare of employees, regardless of whether there are job losses.

Comment

A new comprehensive study shows just how devastating it can be. The study, which involves researchers from the University of East Anglia’s Norwich Business School in England, and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research, shows that restructuring in organisations has a largely negative effect on the welfare of employees, regardless of whether there are job losses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...9%3Fmode%3Damp
                            You do understand that this JTF is a temporary measure to deal with COVID-19. That's not to say that it won't be implemented pernamently in the future but at present it will cease to exist when it is no longer required.

The reality is that for all personnel who are not directly involved within the JTF, they will see zero difference. Taskings will be received, appraised and then sent out to the unit best placed to respond.

They are essentially acting in the capacity as BDE/DFHQ Ops except their sole function is to respond to the crisis that is ongoing.

I'm not sure why you are trying to create some hysteria around this.

If you are a serving PDF member, how has this negatively affected you? Or how do you anticipate that it will or is this just a case of "I don't like change".
                            Last edited by Chuck; 24 March 2020, 21:36.

Comment

• To be honest, the more I dwell on it, the more laughable your assertion is.

With all due respect, are you genuinely suggesting that the temporary creation of a JTF to respond to a crisis the state has not seen before is leaving some personnel feeling "insecure"?

In the same organization where people can be inneffective for years, fail CRDT (just twoexamples of below par performance) and can still remain a member and be in receipt of full pay and allowances.

This change is making people 'in secure'? Really?

I get that change for the sake of chang rarely creates more effective working environment but what we are seeing is not change for the sake of change.

Comment

• Meh
                                Last edited by TangoSierra; 24 March 2020, 22:17. Reason: Not worth it

Comment

Working...
                                X