New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Ah now - one was West, the other East...
    But neither South.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
      But neither South.
      Don't get Murph started...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Yes but all ahead of him were due to retire. By my calculations, R/Adm Mellett is only in his mid to late 50s, with mandatory retirement age a long way off. There are few others in the general staff who are more junior to him in age.
        None in fact junior in age!

Comment

• Lt Gen O'Boyle is 62
          Maj Gen Finn is 61
          Maj Gen James is 58
          Rear Admiral Mellett (can't find his age)

All ages are from military.ie and the age they have/are turning this year.

Comment

• On 27th March the Minister for Defence, Simon Coveney announced that he had accepted the retirement of the Deputy Chief of Staff (Operations) of the Defence Forces, Major General Ralph James. In a persiflage with his team, he is also have been reported to have had started considering his life insura

Comment

• That says a lot about the IAA
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Who will slot into D/COS Ops now or D/COS support if the Admiral moves sideways?

Comment

• Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                  Who will slot into D/COS Ops now or D/COS support if the Admiral moves sideways?
                  Probably one of the existing Brig Generals currently serving, I would say - one of GOC DFTC, 1 Bde, 2 Bde or ACOS?
                  Last edited by Truck Driver; 31 March 2015, 16:35.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Whoever is best qualified.

Comment

Whoever is best qualified.

I reckon it will be Brig Gen Campbell (ACOS)

GOC 1 Bde Brig Gen Brennan to get DCOS SP when Vice Admiral Mellet takes the top job....

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        Don't get Murph started...
                        Ah me and Mark have loads in common, both ex cav and served in the navy..I remember him as a young Lt. Guns officer on Eithne!

I'm sure he reminisces over the half day passes he signed for me on my gunnery course!
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Cue the Army about to get f**ked over.
                          If anything I would have thought the Chief Of Staff would be Corps Neutral given the profile of the role and given he would be first Naval officer to have held the rank it would be detrimental to any future prospective candidate for him to show a biased view.

Yes it would be would a fantastic profile boosting exercise for the NS as he has done through his entire career his obligations are now greater that his parent service. I think the man has been around enough and has done enough in his career to know that he wouldn't get away with treating any wing of the DF any worse than any other CoS has done in the past.

If anything it shows a blighted viewpoint from with the army should they believe that a future chief of staff would indeed try screw them, when after all the are the senior component of the Defence Forces.

Yeah there will be a few in the army who will be pissed off at having to report to a fish head, get over it.!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• As an aside to the above, I have heard many in the NS complain that since the man in question got the DCOS job, he doesn't have as much time for them any more.....
                            Too busy trying to manage the rest of the DF it seems.

He may wear a naval uniform but he is as much Navy Focused as Sean McCann was Cavalry Focused, or Conor O'Boyle is Artillery focused.

Comment

• different ball game at the top its DF politics not the same responsibilities they can't be

Comment

• Face it. We are an Island with a short but relatively secure land border with a friendly on the other side of it. There is three arms to the Defence force. Logic dictates that the distribution should be less 6:1:1 and more 4:2:2, if not even 3:3:3

If anything it shows a blighted viewpoint from with the army should they believe that a future chief of staff would indeed try screw them, when after all the are the senior component of the Defence Forces.
                                The top quote from Na Ghromiti explains a lot of the Armys concerns at the present time.It is very likely that DoD will try to bring is to a one brigade structure within a few years of the next general election.But the writing is on the wall that that will be achieved by increasing the size of the NS and AC and downsizing the Army IOT stay within the ECF figures.Now after years of re-org and disruption to significant numbers of personnel's careers and families we are looking down the barrel of that again.The NS when not at sea are based in one location. Haulbowline(unless the rumoured plan for galway goes ahead).No disruption to people who live in Cork or Cobh or Ringaskiddy.The NS are getting their ducks in a row alright.

Yeah there will be a few in the army who will be pissed off at having to report to a fish head, get over it.!
                                I got a brief offf a "Fish head"(Your word not mine) the other day.Best brief on the subject matter I ever heard.No problem reporting to him or his ilk.Typical small service paranoia coming out there methinks.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X