New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DF theme music and recruiting ad.
    «Village People - Go West In The Navy » is available on iTunes : http://bit.ly/1E60r0rListen the entire album here : http://smarturl.it/GoWestITNavySubscrib...
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      IMHO this is either going to go one of two ways.(All joking aside).
      1/ This will be the start of true tri-service partnership with MM being up there with DE being one of the best CoS we ever have.
      2/ The NS use this opportunity to grab all they can off the army while they have him at the top(a bit like looters in a riot) in the knowledge that it might be some time before they get another shot at the top slot and thus look to settle old scores.

I wonder which one its gonna be???
      I'd go with option one, while the NS will benefit from having him at the top, the day to day management of the NS is now well beyond his remit. The next layer in the NS beyond the current FOCNS being lets just say , one or two who won't be going any further on the career ladder , the ones to watch out for but I have no doubt cards have been well marked.

One of the potential advantages is he has no loyalties within the army to any specific brigade, corps or unit and therefore can act quite unilaterally.

Single brigade DF, possibly before the end of his tenure although it hasn't been an agenda with this man, it has been lurking in the back round since Earleys time, so it could now be a possibility.

Interesting times ahead.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
        63 according to this: http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/use..._09_May_13.pdf

Which means he could serve 5 - 6 years as COS.
        Thanks (it was supposed to come down to 62)

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        I'd go with option one, while the NS will benefit from having him at the top, the day to day management of the NS is now well beyond his remit. The next layer in the NS beyond the current FOCNS being lets just say , one or two who won't be going any further on the career ladder , the ones to watch out for but I have no doubt cards have been well marked.

One of the potential advantages is he has no loyalties within the army to any specific brigade, corps or unit and therefore can act quite unilaterally.

Single brigade DF, possibly before the end of his tenure although it hasn't been an agenda with this man, it has been lurking in the back round since Earleys time, so it could now be a possibility.

Interesting times ahead.
        Did the NS benefit greatly from having a DCOS(Sp) from the NS?

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          I'm delighted for him and in particular I'm delighted for the DF. They badly need someone who literally thinks outside the box and brings in initiatives to improve the organisation and the conditions of the troops.
          He is one of the few COS's who actually earned his DSM.
          How did he actually earn his DSM??

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
            How did he actually earn his DSM??
            He earned the DSM for his part in the capture of the drug running yacht "Brime".
            Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

• Originally posted by old rec View Post
              He earned the DSM for his part in the capture of the drug running yacht "Brime".
              Was he part of the boarding team and exhibited bravery or something? Isn't it just a medal for doing his job?
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• As far as I know he was not part of the boarding team, but on the bridge. Did any if the team boarding get any awards??

Comment

• I don't know the full details of it. HPT or someone with an interest in the navy will know more
                  Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

• For distinguished service as captain of confidence and leadership while coordinating a complex
                    operation at sea leading to the arrest of the ketch 'Brime' off the southwest coast on the 13th
                    July 1993. His professional skill, dedication and devotion to duty in a difficult operation
                    reflected great credit on the Naval Service and the Defence Forces
                    This wonderful resource of every medal won by which every soldier in the DF should be able to rattle off at least one of is HERE

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Can anyone come up with a snappy acronym for doing what he's trained for and expected to do - medal?
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• When you read the citations for the former COSs, the DF seems to be constantly going through "periods of significant changes/challenges". At some point someone is going to realise that is just normal

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          Can anyone come up with a snappy acronym for doing what he's trained for and expected to do - medal?
                          EMMEW ? Every Military Medal Ever Won.

Take a machine gun nest single handed? Medal. (you must not have been trained to do so!)
                          Serve on an overseas mission? Medal. Awarded because you went out there with no training?
                          21 years 'undetected crime' in the Army? Medal.
                          Command a complex military mission leading to an important arrest, showing professional skill and devotion to duty, reflecting well on your country and your service? The Real Jack has a view on whether you deserve a medal.

Comment

• Command a complex military mission leading to an important arrest, showing professional skill and devotion to duty, reflecting well on your country and your service?
                            And thats how he got his DSM, the Rhib Cox'n got one as well, for doing his job....to a high standard that ensured the mission was successful.

Can anyone come up with a snappy acronym for doing what he's trained for and expected to do - medal?
                            TYup falls into two categories..

Retiring CoS and many of those in the Congo who had them handed out like confetti at a wedding!!!
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              IMHO this is either going to go one of two ways.(All joking aside).
                              1/ This will be the start of true tri-service partnership with MM being up there with DE being one of the best CoS we ever have.
                              2/ The NS use this opportunity to grab all they can off the army while they have him at the top(a bit like looters in a riot) in the knowledge that it might be some time before they get another shot at the top slot and thus look to settle old scores.

I wonder which one its gonna be???
                              I can see of course where this fear is coming from, but on the flipside, and I am being completely honest here, there are many in the NS who have lost time for the Former FOCNS since he became DCOS because in their mind he has forgotten his roots. He treats the NS no differently to any other DF unit.
                              i.e. he is doing his job.

You have more to fear from the Cork Based Yachting Minister for defence
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Exactly. He has to be seen as impartial, at all times. Any Officer at his level who shows favouritism is not doing his job or his duty....as for his DSM, if he was the man who showed leadership, tactical skill, good judgement and made sure that none of his men got hurt and the job was executed as required, then he deserved his gong. There's a few beauts out there who got them for less.

Comment

Working...
                                X