X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoS Mellet and Mr Coveney together at the top. The perfect Storm? :-P

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      Exactly. He has to be seen as impartial, at all times. Any Officer at his level who shows favouritism is not doing his job or his duty....as for his DSM, if he was the man who showed leadership, tactical skill, good judgement and made sure that none of his men got hurt and the job was executed as required, then he deserved his gong. There's a few beauts out there who got them for less.
      My understanding is he nominated numerous members of the boarding party for it, but the decision was to award it to the ship, ergo its captain. He was quite embarrassed by this decision and tried to decline, but the option was not available.It was skipper and Rib Coxn,(A/Sea Kennedy) or nobody.
      Last edited by na grohmiti; 1 July 2015, 21:51.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        This wonderful resource of every medal won by which every soldier in the DF should be able to rattle off at least one of is HERE

http://source.southdublinlibraries.i..._Citations.pdf
        Page 96

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
          Exactly what i ment, cheers na grohmití

The Defence Act has to be amended before Sept to allow Adm Mellett hold the rank of VADM.

Shouldnt be a big problem
          Already in progress.

Act to amend and extend the Defence Act 1954 and to provide for related matters

I wonder why they don't include Admiral in the new schedule yet they still include General.
          Last edited by CTU; 9 July 2015, 17:49.
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• And coming up to 3 years after the RDF VFM, DFR R5 still hasn't been amended

Comment

• DoD press release.

APPOINTMENT OF NEW DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF (SUPPORT) OF THE DEFENCE FORCES

The Minister for Defence, Mr. Simon Coveney TD, is pleased to announce the appointment of Colonel Kevin Cotter to the position of Deputy Chief of Staff (Support) of the Defence Forces with effect from 29 September, 2015. The Cabinet approved the appointment at its meeting yesterday.

Comment

• I thought DCOS was a Major General - is that a double promotion ?
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Not that unusual. Recent changes to regulations meant that all those at Colonel rank were eligible to apply for general staff jobs.
                  It means that instead of getting the next in line, you are opening it up to the best person for the job.

Comment

• It is a first I think though

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      It is a first I think though
                      I do not believe that to be the case. But I have no proof either, so my post is just as pointless as yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        It is a first I think though
                        Didn't the late Lt Gen Earley do the same (jumped from Col to Maj Gen)?
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Didn't the late Lt Gen Earley do the same (jumped from Col to Maj Gen)?
                          He was a Brig Gen for 2/3 months.

Comment

• Regarding Ships' Captains getting DSMs for services rendered, there was a (possibly made up) story of an RN captain getting a gong himself for an action that he felt the crew should have been rewarded for. He wore the ribbon for parades but had the medal mounted in a frame on a bulkhead on the ship and it was removed only when the ship was decommissioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              Regarding Ships' Captains getting DSMs for services rendered, there was a (possibly made up) story of an RN captain getting a gong himself for an action that he felt the crew should have been rewarded for. He wore the ribbon for parades but had the medal mounted in a frame on a bulkhead on the ship and it was removed only when the ship was decommissioned.
                              RN system of crewing is significantly different to ours as they tend to rotate in the greater numbers through a ships commission as opposed to singular numbers as ours do and thus the medal would have been appropriate to a specific commission crew.

Nice touch all the same
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                                Already in progress.

I wonder why they don't include Admiral in the new schedule yet they still include General.
                                Noticed that the rank of Midshipman still seems to be on the books equating with Second Lieutenant and Ensign. Has the NS ever used the rank and what would the rank insignia be? Essentially a commissioned cadet with the same gorget patch insignia of that rank?

Comment

Working...
                                X