No announcement yet.

New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midshipman=Commissioned Cadet without watchkeeping ability..
    The term was useful when the trainee officers were sent to the UK to train, where the term cadet would be confused with a member of the UK army cadet force (12-17 year olds with military uniforms and single shot rifles.
    Midshipmen/cadets are becoming much rarer at sea these days. They tend to call them OUTs and most are already Sub Lieutenants when they get commissioned.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Lt Gen O'Boyle handed over command to R/Adm Mellett in a ceremony at McKee today. He got a DSM for his efforts.

Minister for Defence Attends Transfer of Authority Ceremony

Today (17 September 2015), the Minister for Defence Mr. Simon Coveney, T.D., attended the ceremony marking the transfer of authority from the current Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces, Lieutenant-General Conor O’Boyle to his successor Rear Admiral Mark Mellett. Lieutenant General O’Boyle is retiring from the Defence Forces at the end of the month.

During the ceremony which was held in McKee Barracks Dublin, Minister Coveney presented the Distinguished Service Medal (with Honour) to Lieutenant-General O’Boyle.

Paying tribute to Lieutenant-General O’Boyle, the Minister for Defence stated: “I am honoured to be presenting Lieutenant-General O’Boyle with the Distinguished Service Medal (with Honour)” and on behalf of the Government, the Minister thanked Lieutenant-General O’Boyle for “his hard work, commitment, professionalism and dedication which has brought great honour on the Defence Forces and on this Nation as a whole”.

Speaking of Rear Admiral Mellett the Minister stated: “I look forward to having the opportunity to work closely with Rear Admiral Mellett as Chief of Staff”. Rear Admiral Mellett who was appointed to the position of Deputy Chief of Staff (Support) of the Defence Forces in November, 2013 will be promoted to the rank of Vice Admiral to take up his position as the new Chief of Staff with effect from the 29th September.

Comment

• Another waste of a DSM.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• So what do you give a Chief of Staff who already has one when his stint is over .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
            So what do you give a Chief of Staff who already has one when his stint is over .
            Leitrim.

Comment

• Nice bit of history with the O'Boyles being the first father and son recipients of the DSM , father Tom receiving it for service in the Congo http://www.military.ie/info-centre/d...-of-the-medal/ .

As for the Vice Admiral , if he keeps his nose clean he gets a bar to his DSM on retirement ... http://www.military.ie/info-centre/d...service-medal/ .

It does beg the question if the DSM is a suitable award for gallantry .... In both General O Boyles and Admiral Melletts case, their DSMs were not awarded for gallantry/bravery whereas many other recipients were honoured for such acts. Maybe we place too high a standard for the MMG .... Whereas it is without doubt that both gentlemen provided 'distinguished service ' to the State maybe other recipients of DSMs deserved MMGs ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                Nice bit of history with the O'Boyles being the first father and son recipients of the DSM , father Tom receiving it for service in the Congo http://www.military.ie/info-centre/d...-of-the-medal/ .

As for the Vice Admiral , if he keeps his nose clean he gets a bar to his DSM on retirement ... http://www.military.ie/info-centre/d...service-medal/ .

It does beg the question if the DSM is a suitable award for gallantry .... In both General O Boyles and Admiral Melletts case, their DSMs were not awarded for gallantry/bravery whereas many other recipients were honoured for such acts. Maybe we place too high a standard for the MMG .... Whereas it is without doubt that both gentlemen provided 'distinguished service ' to the State maybe other recipients of DSMs deserved MMGs ?
                There is a number of reasons for awarding a DSM have a look at the citations

Comment

....As for the Vice Admiral , if he keeps his nose clean he gets a bar to his DSM on retirement ... http://www.military.ie/info-centre/d...service-medal/
                  For one, he will be a R Adm on retirement as CoS, and for another, assuming you are correct RE: bar to the DSM, this will probably also be a first...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    For one, he will be a R Adm on retirement as CoS, and for another, assuming you are correct RE: bar to the DSM, this will probably also be a first...
                    Would a number two not be more appropriate

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      Why would he be demoted on retirement to R Adm from V Adm, army equivalent Lt Gen to Maj Gen. Vice Admiral is the rank for the new COS and he will retire in that rank.

Interestingly in the states a retiring general or admiral has to do a form of confirmation hearing on promotion and retirement in front of a joint committee , the latter being to confirm whether they are worth the pension of the rank they retired at or whether it should be varied to a lower rank.

As for a bar or a numeral for the DSM, the regulation states a bar if the same class of DSM which I think is the accepted international military norm , for instance the Victoria Cross can also involve additional awards of a bar for multiple separate acts of gallantry ( only two or three such awards made ). Numerals are really only for UN medals to illustrate multiple tours, if memory serves me right you are not supposed to have numerals on NATO or EU medals either although I have seen some Muttleys with such numerals.

According to Devs excellent link there was an AC Heli Pilot Comdt O Shea who received two DSMs in different classes for different ops, as opposed to a bar to a DSM, I had heard this before of the AC Heli wing, there maybe others and apologies if I didn't see them.

As for the V Adm's future DSM, he has DSM with distinction already and the norm for a retiring COS is a DSM with honour so it is likely he will get a second DSM in a different class as opposed to a bar to his original DSM , so apologies on my original bad ......now if you'll excuse me I'll get me anorak and leave
                      Last edited by Jack Booted Man; 18 September 2015, 11:39. Reason: New info

Comment

Why would he be demoted on retirement to R Adm from V Adm, army equivalent Lt Gen to Maj Gen. Vice Admiral is the rank for the new COS and he will retire in that rank...
                        My mistake, sorry - mixing up the two ranks. Comes with not being a swabbie...

Originally posted by Jack Booted Man
                        As for the V Adm's future DSM, he has DSM with distinction already and the norm for a retiring COS is a DSM with honour so it is likely he will get a second DSM in a different class as opposed to a bar to his original DSM...
                        Good point actually, if the medal is in a different class to the original, that would indeed mean a second medal, rather than a bar...
                        Although if you look through the citations in the link Dev posted previously, I think Lt-Gen Bergin's DSM was with Distinction also...
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Nope TD, the Berg was with honour too, I read about 12 Lt Gens On the list on military.ie with honour and only one officer on the with merit list. Interesting breakdown of ranks but probably for another thread.....

Comment

• I don't think you can compare R/Adm Mellett's medal with that of other CoS for a number of reasons. He was only a Lt Cdr when it was awarded for one, and in addition he was awarded it for the bravery of actions of the unit under his command, rather than his own actions in office.
                            He is a R/Adm until Monday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              I don't think you can compare R/Adm Mellett's medal with that of other CoS for a number of reasons. He was only a Lt Cdr when it was awarded for one, and in addition he was awarded it for the bravery of actions of the unit under his command, rather than his own actions in office.
                              He is a R/Adm until Monday morning.
                              He was awarded it for "confidence and leadership" and "skill, dedication and devotion to duty"

Comment

• So V/Adm Mellett took over as CoS today.

Have all the nissans been painted navy blue yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X