Irishmen in RIR - RTE radio documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irishmen in RIR - RTE radio documentary

RTE radio have done an interesting documentary about soldiers from the Republic serving with the Royal Irish in Afghanistan. Well worth listening to.

Doc on One brings you multi award-winning documentaries from Ireland telling real life stories.

Click to access:

In recent years there has been record numbers joining the British armed forces from the Republic of Ireland. The Royal Irish Regiment, one of the historic Irish regiments of the British army, has been a natural home for soldiers from the south of Ireland.

The footage in this documentary was recorded by Irishmen serving in the British Army whilst in Afghanistan including a number of extensive battle scenes.

In September 2010, the regiment was deployed on a six month tour to Helmand Province, Afghanistan. The documentary speaks with a number of soldiers who were all born and raised in the Republic of Ireland. Their rank ranges from Ranger to Lance Corporal, and are from various counties such as Dublin, Kildare, Cork and Limerick.

This documentary by Fergal McCarthy asks why these men joined the British army; does the regiment still have an Irish feel today and is it a welcoming place for those from the south; what is it like to say goodbye to family and friends when leaving for battle; what is daily life like in Afghanistan; some of their experiences of close combat with the Taliban; their reflections on their six month deployment; their sense of identity and Irish heritage; and what plans do they have for their leave when they return.

outstanding, thank you.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by moonstomper View Post
      RTE radio have done an interesting documentary about soldiers from the Republic serving with the Royal Irish in Afghanistan. Well worth listening to.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/
      The ex Capt from Wicklow was on RTE1 radio at eleven that morning, To talk about a book he has out, Interesting interview.
      it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
      Winston churchill

Comment

Hang on!!!! Was there a shit attack the last time an Irish Man in a UK regiment went on the radio!!!!!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

No - there was a shit attack because someone choose to identify him, and even more disturbing an Officer Cadet who hadn't taken part in a media interview on another thread this site.

If the people involved are happy to be interviewed on RTE radio, then I'm sure they are happy to be 'outed' in Ireland as serving HM Forces.

But I'm sure we're all mature and security conscious enough to realise the difference.
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
            But I'm sure we're all mature and security conscious enough to realise the difference.
            Unlike the gobsh1te that posted his mail address in sandhurst on his facebook page for all the world to see...
            hedons have more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ned stark View Post
              Unlike the gobsh1te that posted his mail address in sandhurst on his facebook page for all the world to see...
              Thats his problem - if he was stupid enough to do so I have no sympathy for him...whoever he is.
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

fair play to all the lads in the clip.

they wanted to be soldiers, now they are, and they have tales to tell.

well done the lads of the Royal Irish, not forgetting our own IMO member Keef either.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Bandit, I'm calling that trolling, attempt to repeat the post and you get points, yes you are entitled to your opinion, but IMHO that's unacceptable and untrue*treason is an action you take against your own country, not for another one.
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

on that note - i've just had word back from Irish Kid - he is now the GPMG gunner in his section in 2RIFLES - having moved on from the Minimi (probably because he is such a physically fit fecker).

and he has also asked for a Tri-Colour to be sent out - so one of the lads can integrate the Rifles cap badge onto it.

pictures to follow - eventually.

he's served Ireland well, now he's serving us well too.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

you are correct they are not traitors. so that begs the question were Collins, Dev,Tracey, McBride Casement, etc etc were they traitors? A fundamental question that lies at the heart of this debate;
                      (your name), swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.
                      I have lots of former BA friends, realtives etc , nothing personal but a question ,,, As for tricolours swen on British Uniforms, It demeans the national emblem

Comment

To call them traitors would imply that they were on one side and we were on another, which is not the case. There is no debate here. This thread is about Irish soldiers serving in the RIR, nobody is asking you your opinion on their service, and frankly nobody wants to know your opinion on the matter. If you want to rant about traitors and shite **** off to indymedia.

Comment

No its aboiut this constant goings on about Irish in the BA , Its constant propaganda , that has gone on since the stste was founded,, f--- let them go ... they are not angels. they do nothing for this country and soldiering is not just a job so lets not consider it simply as a job
                          so u can F-- off to arrse ...or indymedia and I dont give a b---ox iF i am banned from this infantile website

Comment

That is why a seperate forum, Foreign Forces, was created so that if you don't want to read about it you don't have to open the threads. Given the infantile level of comments you have made on this site I will happily grant your wish. A 1 month ban has been awarded, see you on St Patrick's Day.
                            Last edited by Bravo20; 17 February 2012, 14:46.

Comment

Finally got to listen to this, the interview was had not long after Afghan, been a while waiting. A great listen, the clips played from contacts were from my platoon - the Sgt you hear talking is the best man I have ever worked under.
                              Brought back a lot of memories.

the part where he mentions he was unable to move for hours is the area in the image above. View from sangar 2 from Cp Zezghy.

Comment

Working...
                              X