US Army's First Dedicated Cyber Brigade Now Operational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Army's First Dedicated Cyber Brigade Now Operational

While the DF worry about people posting paddys day parade photos on facebook, here is a good article on how the US are looking the the cyber threat.

In recent years, information systems have become central to every aspect of American life, as well as assuming a critical role in government and private sector functionality, making cyber security a top priority in order to bolster national security.

The U.S. Army's first-of-its-kind dedicated computer network security brigade is now operational and has been deployed in support of combat-active units in the field.

The 780th Military Intelligence Brigade, originally conceived in 2008, will be utilized in a limited capacity until the teams are fully operational in 2015.

"We have an expeditionary cyber capability to assist Army units in defense of their networks. We have a team that is forward deployed right now in Afghanistan. They go forward to help the brigade combat team secure their networks," said the brigade’s commander, Col. John Sweet.

The final decision for the Army's Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) to assemble the 780th Military Intelligence Brigade was made in 2010, and the unit's colors were officially unfurled at an activation ceremony at NSA's Friedman Auditorium in Fort Meade, Md., on Dec. 1.

"With an urgent insistence and tremendous help from the National Security Agency, Department of Defense and U.S. Cyber Command, Army and Congressional staff, the U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command created the 780th Military Intelligence Brigade to support U.S. and Army Cyber Commands with their missions to provide a proactive cyber defense," an Army press release stated.

The 780th has also been addressing the defense of Department of Defense networks which are under a constant barrage of intrusion events.

The DoD reports that there are over seven million computing devices in use by the military, and that their fifteen-thousand networks are subject to as many as 250,000 probes per hour.

"It’s a very complex threat—pervasive, evolving, highly intelligent, very adaptive to our countermeasures. It ranges from nation-states to non-nation-state actors, criminal elements and individual hackers. Motivations and goals range from the challenge of getting into a network to ideological goals to financial gain, including gathering information and intelligence to support foreign national interests. It’s a wide and varied threat we have to defend against," said Col. Sweet.

The rapidly changing threat landscape in the cyber domain necessitated the creation of the 780th, and application of the brigade's expertise will continue to broaden in scope over the coming years.

“If there’s anything that keeps me awake at night, it’s the technology and how fast our adversaries evolve and the techniques they’re using to try to get into our networks — and keeping up with that amount of information... We improve security every day in the conduct of our mission, working on the protection of the Department of Defense networks. We have successes every day as far as operations in the domain,” said Col. Sweet.
    Last edited by Big Al; 22 March 2012, 10:01.
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Looks like the British won't be far behind this concept.....

Comment

Tom Clancy's book "Threat Vector" featured this very thing - a dedicated US military cyber warfare outfit....
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I just wonder why they came up with the idea now, more than 20 years after the Internet emerged...

Comment

Well I believe GCHQ was heading up the Cyber Defence side of things, and they already have a collective of "Cyber Reserves".

I think the point of this concept is to have a military unit that engages in Cyber Warfare, both defensively and offensively. Plus, it's a means to get this level of expertise on the cheap.

There would have to be a significant incentive package to entice and retain the desired personnel though.

Comment

What's to say the DF is not following suit?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              What's to say the DF is not following suit?
              Did anyone say they weren't?

Comment

Implied in the first post!
                And the DF does have a unit dedicated to this. Don't ask as that's all I am saying OK.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

NATO video on the 2007 Russian DDoS attacks on Estonian networks

Comment

we've had our own Cyber Warfare Unit running for a while now and are just about to create the Joint Cyber Reserve (JCR) for Reserve Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen to get involved in.

it's now a key weapon in any governments arsenal.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Implied in the first post!
                      And the DF does have a unit dedicated to this. Don't ask as that's all I am saying OK.
                      Good luck hanging on to them for DF pay....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                        Good luck hanging on to them for DF pay....
                        Don;t worry about it.The people in that unit are experts in the field as well as being dedicated members of the DF.The s**t they can do is scary!!
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I'm sure they are but 15th October could be a game changer for some of those in pubic service jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                            I'm sure they are but 15th October could be a game changer for some of those in pubic service jobs.
                            why would that change anything for the troops?
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              why would that change anything for the troops?
                              If Noonan takes another large bite out of people's pockets that who know what will happen. Dedication to the DF, as admirable as it is, doesnt pay mortgages or feed families and if you have an IT skill that is in serious demand and pays handsomely then other options become very attractive. There is definitely a bubble in the IT sector here at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X