Possible X-Craft found in the River Foyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible X-Craft found in the River Foyle

Very interesting given Lisahally's involvement in the surrender of the U-Boat force.

But I can't think why there would be an X-craft there - trials perhaps?

A few years back some divers discovered a B17 Bomber on the bottom of Lough Foyle - and returned the pilots Raybans to him in the US!!

Theres a bit of debate below this article about the surrendered U-Boats, most were towed off the Donegal coast and scuttled.

I know there was a plan to lift one and put it on display at the Derry City council offices, but one of the guys involved lost his life diving on the wreck, and I think the project was abandoned. I think salvors are interested in them too for the copper and brass.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

A lot of the U-boats were gutted of machinery such as engines and generators, pumps, wiring, gauges and so on and in many cases were little more than hulks when they were sunk. One of the engines is said to have ended up powering a creamery for years.

regards
    GttC

Comment

I love this type of stuff. Making it my mission this year to dive on as many U Boats as I can. I've a trip down to Cork this summer to dive on the UC-42 in Cork. Any IMOers dive / interested in diving on wrecks (and I'm not talking about a night in coppers)?
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
        (and I'm not talking about a night in coppers)?
        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Sunken submarine found off North coast

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:28 PM

A suspected submerged submarine has been discovered in the North, it has been revealed.

Environment Minister Alex Attwood has viewed sonar images of the vessel in Lough Foyle, near Derry, and warned it may be a war grave.

Derry was one of the most important naval bases during the Second World War and was crucial to ensuring Allied success in the Battle of the Atlantic. The city was selected for the symbolic German fleet surrender to recognise the vital role it played in the conflict.

Mr Attwood said: “I have asked that urgent work is undertaken to determine how and when the submarine or boat came to rest in this part of the lough.

“It is unusual that there appears to be no record of the circumstances behind this situation.

“I have also asked that all agencies continue to work with DoE and the harbour commissioner to create certainty about the identity of and the reason why the submarine/boat is in the current location.”

He said it was crucial that no diving should occur in the vicinity of the vessel.

“There may be unexploded ordnance which means there are potential risks. This may also be a war grave,” he said.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...#ixzz1rqdPkaFP

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I just caught the tail end of this on UTV news.

They were interviewing a local diver who is involved in this, and he said they had sent the images over to the RN Submarine museum in Gosport.

They are of the opinion its not an X-craft...so the mystery deepens!

Ebrington Barracks (Stroke City) used to be HMS Sea Eagle, a torpedo trials place, so it might be connected to that.

Comment

Fascinating stuff, set me off to find a bit more info, donegal is graveyard for wrecks!

After a scan of Irish wrecks online it looks like there's a lot of interesting stuff down there from dreadnaughts to UBoats http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/Lis...NorthListA.htm 2 documented U Boats in the lough.

Also check out.

I've never heard of Operation Deadlight till I started looking for info on this...

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Yes lots of diving up here Duffman - I used to dive, but gave it up about 5 years ago.

I never dived in Lough Foyle - wasn't aware of the two U-boats in the Lough - thanks for that.

Dived in Lough Erne once on a seaplane wreck at Castle Archdale - very interesting.

Comment

Unless it's a German "Beiber" mini-sub, which was not unlike an X-craft and could have been detained there with the rest of the U-boats.

regards
                  GttC

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                    I just caught the tail end of this on UTV news.

They were interviewing a local diver who is involved in this, and he said they had sent the images over to the RN Submarine museum in Gosport.

They are of the opinion its not an X-craft...so the mystery deepens!

Ebrington Barracks (Stroke City) used to be HMS Sea Eagle, a torpedo trials place, so it might be connected to that.
                    Could it be a Seehund - Type XXVIIB (Seal) Midget Submarine http://www.uboataces.com/midget-seehund.shtml

Comment

Getting qualified up for my diver license at minute. Hopefully by time summer gets into gear might try dive up that way..

Looks like there's a wide variety of boats & subs sunk off malin.
                      Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
                        Could it be a Seehund - Type XXVIIB (Seal) Midget Submarine http://www.uboataces.com/midget-seehund.shtml
                        If it were a Seehund, would it point to the Germans having tried a clandestine raid on the Naval base at Derry?I dont think any Seehunds were taken to Lisahally or Lough Ewe in Scotland on the surrender. Intriguing. Anyone gets up that way for diving should pay a visit to the Greencastle Maritime museum.Its very intresting.

Comment

This is the latest from the BBC.

The environment minister is to call in experts to identify a wreck found in the River Foyle, which could be a World War II submarine.

I'm still hoping it turns out to be a sub - not a sunken yacht!!

Comment

Update - should know in 10 days or so.

Navy divers are to be brought in to examine a wreck found in the River Foyle.

Comment

RTE on the case now too http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0418/media-3261434.html# you'd think the harbour master would know about operation deadlight! Particularly as the jetty was called "U Boat Jetty!" I'm still itching to find out what depth its at!!

Comment

Working...
                              X