Possible X-Craft found in the River Foyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Duffman,

My understanding is that its very shallow.

Someone along the line said if it was a full size u-boat the conning tower would have been visible at low tide.

I have a chart of lough Foyle, I'll have a look later and see what depth the area I think they are talking about is.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Cancel, cancel, cancel...

A mystery object in the River Foyle thought to be a submarine or U-boat turns out to be nothing more than an illusion caused by sonar equipment.

Comment

Silly me, thinking that X-craft carried a crew of 4, or is it once again a case of lazy journalism...
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

No, X-craft had three, at least.

regards
          GttC

Comment

3 and a diver, but I think the 3 were essential, the diver would be as well for many missions.
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Shame, all that hype. Still I wonder what it is? An old canoe that ramped up the sonar returns? Surprised they havn't sent down divers to have a look anway.
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Didn't know where else was best for this...OP DEADLIGHT commenced 75yrs ago today;

Comment

Working...
                X