RDF Transfer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Transfer.

I'm curious once you join one unit say cavalry, do you have to stay with that unit or can you transfer to a different one if you want a change.. say the NSR?

You can indeed transfer, there are regulations governing it.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
      I'm curious once you join one unit say cavalry, do you have to stay with that unit or can you transfer to a different one if you want a change.. say the NSR?
      There are issues with medics transferring to other units. I've known several to drop a rank in order to transfer.

Comment

Thanks lads, I'm thinking of applying for a reserve military police coy (I'm interested in what they do at an enlisted level) but should I be lucky enough to be selected for a commission a long while down the road I'd like to maybe try the naval service reserve ( I was thinking of going into the merchant navy anyway). So would I be allowed to keep my rank?

Comment

I recall GF putting up the outcome of enquiries he made on this,a drop in rank appeared inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
            There are issues with medics transferring to other units. I've known several to drop a rank in order to transfer.
            I never heard that before, why when all medics complete Infantry career courses??
            I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

docman i as you know was a medic who transferred and i know of at least 4 others who are an asset to the units they serve in,in fairness it depends on the unit you move to i was lucky i moved to a great unit with great lads willing to teach me.but as things are now the BTC are training all recruits and 2 star on camp so this should not be as much of a problem as it used to be
              Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

The problem isn't that medics are trained properly, it is that that training is not maintained once they go back to their unit. Just about every PNCOs Cse I have seen involves the medics having to get remedial training on Steyr & GPMG because they have not handled the weapons in years. It is like anything, if you don't practice something regularly, you loose the ability to do it. I'm not saying that medical units should be doing weapons training & tactics regularly and it may just be a Bde thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                  The problem isn't that medics are trained properly, it is that that training is not maintained once they go back to their unit. Just about every PNCOs Cse I have seen involves the medics having to get remedial training on Steyr & GPMG because they have not handled the weapons in years. It is like anything, if you don't practice something regularly, you loose the ability to do it. I'm not saying that medical units should be doing weapons training & tactics regularly and it may just be a Bde thing.
                  To be fair i have to agree, any contact iv had with Reserve Medics , whilst generally very very good at the medical stuff they do lack weapon skills and the general idea of soldiering. They see the 'medic patch' as a i dont have to carry a weapon :-) but ye do hahaha, kinda like a free pass.
                  Thats just my 2 cents

Comment

reserve medical units dont have weapons so are always looking for another unit to help out with it............but ya there are medics out there that when they have the medical patch they think i dont have to go out on the ground...but dont tar them all with the one brush there are medics out there with ok rifle skills and are not to bad on the ground
                    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

The NSR in particular would have issues are beyond the basic foot drill and rifle they have no cross skilling and while at O rating rank it wouldn't be an issue given the very specific skills they require , its back to basics for most.

Eons ago I trained a unit of medics up to firing standard and they were enthusiastic on the basis, it was something completely new to them and jumped at the oppertunity to get to fire weapons on the range.

Madmark would be one of those that could be highlighted as a success swap.Although the transition was difficult as were were a fairly brutal bunch and took no prisoners especially medics. Regardless of his rank , he had to qualify in the eyes of his peers and took on the Cavalry skills as second nature while bring the asset of medical skills to the unit.

and To top it off he even shot falling plates at all army level
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

See the thing is I'm also in the coastguard as a volunteer and I should have all my STCW'95 basic training done so if thats the only problem with transferring to the NSR I should be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
                          See the thing is I'm also in the coastguard as a volunteer and I should have all my STCW'95 basic training done so if thats the only problem with transferring to the NSR I should be ok?
                          If the NSR didn't teach you, it means nothing, unfortunately.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            If the NSR didn't teach you, it means nothing, unfortunately.
                            Unless you hold a civvy watchkeepers ticket which permits D/E .

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                              Unless you hold a civvy watchkeepers ticket which permits D/E .
                              Not in the NSR.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X