New medal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New medal ??

has anyone heared about a new medal coming on issue next yr to the df ?
    it is apparently for the 100 year anniversary of the irish volunteers?

or is it the rumour machine again?

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
    has anyone heared about a new medal coming on issue next yr to the df ?
    it is apparently for the 100 year anniversary of the irish volunteers?

or is it the rumour machine again?
    Someone made a proposal to the Government that a commemoration medal be issued to mark the centenary of the Irish Volunteers but it hasn't been confirmed if they will do it or not.
    Seems a bit silly to me. Medals should be earned and not handed out for anniversaries.

Comment

I heard that from a few people
      Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
        Someone made a proposal to the Government that a commemoration medal be issued to mark the centenary of the Irish Volunteers but it hasn't been confirmed if they will do it or not.
        Seems a bit silly to me. Medals should be earned and not handed out for anniversaries.

i agree they should be earned..

Comment

Heard the same form the lads in the clothing stores.They deal with the DF clothing procurement guys who buy the medals.Supposed to be going ahead but who knows.Would be nice to mark our centenary.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Medals should be earned and not handed out for anniversaries.
            +1

Comment

will it be a case of time will tell or does any no the score??

Comment

I hear it will only be issued to the PDF which is ironic really.

Comment

In the time i have been in the army I have personally witnessed and heard stories of acts and deeds, carried out by Irish defence forces personnel going above and beyond the call of duty at home and overseas that warranted official recognition and acknowledgement, but none was forthcoming in most instances. True bravery and fortitude displayed when others would have crumbled.

On the flipside I've seen persons awarded DSM's and made honorary member of the legion of whatever all for simply doing the job which they were already being quite handsomely paid to do.

And now somebody with feck all else to do wants to hand out medals for nothing? The occasion should be marked and celebrated most definitely, but a medal for nothing? Stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                    I hear it will only be issued to the PDF which is ironic really.
                    Very small minded and thoughtless of the contribution of serving RDF members who volunteer to parade and train without being paid for most of their efforts.
                    Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Originally posted by thedollar View Post
                      Very small minded and thoughtless of the contribution of serving RDF members who volunteer to parade and train without being paid for most of their efforts.
                      RDF already have a service medal for such.
                      Last edited by Rhodes; 28 April 2012, 21:44. Reason: add quote

Comment

RDF already have a service medal for such.
                        Meant if they do go ahead with striking a commemorative medal only for PDF.

But I agree with you, medals should be earned not handed out.

Comment

Originally posted by thedollar View Post
                          Meant if they do go ahead with striking a commemorative medal only for PDF.

But I agree with you, medals should be earned not handed out.
                          The striking of medals for anniversaries (for mass issue) is quite prevalent in the armed forces of monarchies, I expect RGJ will be due one for the queens jubilee.

Comment

Where did the suggestion to strike this medal come from? Was it DFHQ or did one of the Representative Associations request it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                              In the time i have been in the army I have personally witnessed and heard stories of acts and deeds, carried out by Irish defence forces personnel going above and beyond the call of duty at home and overseas that warranted official recognition and acknowledgement, but none was forthcoming in most instances. True bravery and fortitude displayed when others would have crumbled.

On the flipside I've seen persons awarded DSM's and made honorary member of the legion of whatever all for simply doing the job which they were already being quite handsomely paid to do.

And now somebody with feck all else to do wants to hand out medals for nothing? The occasion should be marked and celebrated most definitely, but a medal for nothing? Stupid!!!!
                              I know a guy who was given a medal for gallantry from another nation for his actions overseas, wasn't even given a good report from the irish army for it. Naturally because its a medal from another countries armed forces he's not allowed to wear it.

Ridiculous. If it was a general who was given it you could guarantee he'd be wearing it.
                              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                              X