New medal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
    Well he is using phrases like "all serving members of the defence forces" that usually means they will include the RDF in the proposal (though I would note that he hasn't made a decision yet)
    I do believe that when the phrase "serving members of the defence forces" was used in a different context before, the then serving CoS (beloved of Hedgie)
    clarified that this does include the RDF
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

''RDFRA has been informed that it's submission to have all serving members of the Reserve Defence Forces issued with this medal on the centenary of the anniversary has been accepted.''

Fairly unambiguous above. Will ye and others in the Defence Forces be happy to wear such a medal?

Comment

the submission has been accepted is a bit like saying we posted a strongly worded letter. Next someone must read it, and then, even more unlikely, act on its contents.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

DF includes RDF when it's suits.

Comment

Why wouldnt we be happy to wear a commemoration medal? were on completely the other scale to some armies as regards medal issuance - US army is like the scouts with merit badges. Youd swear the DF couldnt afford to make medals or something here but at the same time, it means there is more significance attached to medals when they are issued and rightly so. just my opinion.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Or our nearest neighbours that issued a medal for their bosses' official birthday!

Comment

My own gripe is the lack of any commemorative medal for those who put years in on the border, but being an old 28th Bn hand maybe I am biased
                didn't ye get an allowance and still get it..a medal as well greedy gits!!!

Medals for being in the army at the time of an anniversary is ridiculous.

Awards for service..ok.......god conduct....yep that was fine by me, deeds of bravery....fine....for COS turning up to work...no fcuking way...

Anniversarys......just wrong. if thats the case I want a medal for surving twnty odd years of marriage !
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

whats good conduct entail and do we have a medal for that? cos im always really good. im a nice decent bloke, i even polish my boots. thats good conduct too!
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

wll said HT, Israelis dont seem to give out many medals .North Koreans do .. There was a time when the DF gave out very few medals, A DSM ws something now it seems to be given out for good service it has lost some of its value..

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                      wll said HT, Israelis dont seem to give out many medals .North Koreans do .. There was a time when the DF gave out very few medals, A DSM ws something now it seems to be given out for good service it has lost some of its value..
                      The DF still give out very few medals, Aside from Service medals (DSM Included), the odd MMG or MS and overseas deployment medals, frankly they don't give out many other medals because they more or less don't have any other medals
                      "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        whats good conduct entail and do we have a medal for that? cos im always really good. im a nice decent bloke, i even polish my boots. thats good conduct too!
                        Good conduct is gone a few years. Many referred to it as the "never got caught".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Awards for service..ok

Anniversarys......just wrong. if thats the case I want a medal for surving twnty odd years of marriage !

She hasnt killed you yet, is that not enough of a medal for ya ?

So if this medal is going to be issued to all, what about ex members who in many cases, gave decades of service ?
                          Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            didn't ye get an allowance and still get it..a medal as well greedy gits!!!

Medals for being in the army at the time of an anniversary is ridiculous.

Awards for service..ok.......god conduct....yep that was fine by me, deeds of bravery....fine....for COS turning up to work...no fcuking way...

Actually the Border Allowance after tax paid less than that for a non-border stationed soldier down the country claiming for each specific duty. The Border Allowance was a flat rate regardless of how many Guards, Patrols, Stand-too's etc.. etc.. you did a week.

The tradition of awarding military personnel a commemorative medal is well established throughout Europe, from about 1800 onwards.

The Good Conduct Medal was dropped after two years, looking here at the list of recipients it was mainly for senior NCOs with just 1 Trooper, 1 Gunner, 6 Privates as opposed to 10 BQMS's - 11 RSM's - 6 BSM, 21 CQMS.

Medal for Marriage: there was one in Communist Poland believe it or not!

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                              The Good Conduct Medal was dropped after two years, looking here at the list of recipients it was mainly for senior NCOs with just 1 Trooper, 1 Gunner, 6 Privates as opposed to 10 BQMS's - 11 RSM's - 6 BSM, 21 CQMS...
                              Firstly C-S, where is that list (out of idle curiosity)

Secondly, one of those 21 CQMSs was actaully a SQMS and my former Cadre Q...
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

No member of the Reserve ever received the "Good Conduct Medal" but if was correctly awarded then it would be still on issue and I think when all the present recipients are retired the GDM should be reintroduced with proper standards been taken into account in fact it is a lovely medal and I have one in my collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X