New medal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slapper View Post
    most reserves have always been willing to give up our free time and go the extra bit when needed , bad weather, floods or any emergency but alot of the time never used . after the first few times i offered and was refused i never offered again but with floods in cork lads have gone up and said they will fill sandbags and were still told no
    now what is the point in having a reserve if they are not used, hopefully things will change
    is it alot for a reserve to want a medal which is entitled for personal pride more than any other reason
    Or that they went far above the eligibility criteria

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      Oddly enough some people WANT to be in the DF as a career.Not everybody joined because they couldn't get a civvi job!
      these people make the best soldiers.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Oddly enough some people WANT to be in the DF as a career.Not everybody joined because they couldn't get a civvi job!
        What about after you are 40...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Or that they went far above the eligibility criteria
          what do you mean
          who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
            To be fair, they'd be in the minority!!
            How the f**k would you know??When were you in the Army??
            I know some people who have better educations then some officers who are enlisted.When i joined the DF they were turning people away!And that was just as the celtic tiger got going.It is highly insulting to those who serve their country as PROFESSIONAL soldiers to suggest that they are only doing it because they were too shite for anything less.This isn't the '70's or early '80's when the DF were desperate to increase due to the "troubles".We don't take illiterates or Judges recommendations anymore!
            (Not implying that all who joined up back then all fitted into either category but their was that element)
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

How the f**k would you know??When were you in the Army??
              I know some people who have better educations then some officers who are enlisted.When i joined the DF they were turning people away!And that was just as the celtic tiger got going.It is highly insulting to those who serve their country as PROFESSIONAL soldiers to suggest that they are only doing it because they were too shite for anything less.This isn't the '70's or early '80's when the DF were desperate to increase due to the "troubles".We don't take illiterates or Judges recommendations anymore!
              (Not implying that all who joined up back then all fitted into either category but their was that element)
              you got to admit there is some idiots in there as well

there is lads that were in the fca/rdf that i would trust with a spud gun and they are in the pdf now with big guns
              Last edited by slapper; 19 April 2013, 23:03.

Comment

what do you mean
                You have to have have 7/12/21 years effective service, effective service previously requiring only 48 hours annually.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  You have to have have 7/12/21 years effective service, effective service previously requiring only 48 hours annually.
                  ah ya i no wat you mean now

Comment

you got to admit there is some idiots in there as well

there is lads that were in the fca/rdf that i would trust with a spud gun and they are in the pdf now with big guns
                    so you do trust them??
                    anyway the army does get some idiots but there usually found out and farmed of to some shit hole..
                    with the amount of lads in the df there has to be a few village idiots that slip through
                    i have met one or two guys over the yrs so thick, i taught the officer on the interview boared must of passed them to keep the o/r well below the ranks of the chaps in intelligence..

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                      so you do trust them??
                      a intelligence..
                      no
                      i have to laugh anytime i hear anything about military intelligence its a contradiction in terms

Comment

no
                        i have to laugh anytime i hear anything about military intelligence its a contradiction in terms
                        we are a single force now so were all idiots rdf aswell

Comment

• MOD: How the hell did a thread on medals get into a slagging match of the PDF. Everybody back to the topic or else face a ban. That includes moderators

Comment

• I am agreeing with APOD on a number of post, what is happening?
                            Even in the 70s guys, ( no gals then) joined becuae they wanted to be soldiers. IOn the 70s there was even a real threat of the violence spilling across the border and bombs going odff in Dublin etc. After the UWC strike, bloody Sunday etc on one side and the activities of the IRA on the other hand there was a feeling taht the country was really under threat.
                            One should not under estimate , the patriotism of people. I remember my late father telling me that in 69 when he was called up as a first line reservist , he met guys who he had not seen since the emergency and who had paid there own fares back from the US, Canada etc and answered the call at that time..

Comment

• its saying on facebook there will be approx. 300 medals issued??
                              100 going to the most senior officers the rest shared out to retired senior officers
                              I don't know how true it is but the guy saying it is switched on so
                              a total waste of time

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                                its saying on facebook there will be approx. 300 medals issued??
                                100 going to the most senior officers the rest shared out to retired senior officers
                                I don't know how true it is but the guy saying it is switched on so
                                a total waste of time
                                I saw that myself. The way I read it was that it was getting issued to the top brass and then the rest given out to other officers and some to retd. officers.

Either way it's a pile of shite.
                                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                                He put a bullet through his brain.
                                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                                Sneak home and pray you'll never know