New medal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. Fair enough
    2. Dont want to get involved in that debate!
    3. Why on earth would you need a medal for doing the special Olympics???? Order of Malta/Irish Red Cross/St John's Ambulance & Civil Defence are not exactly military formations, I seriously doubt British military got medals for doing the Olympics.
    4. If you do multiple trips overseas don't you get a medal for each trip? So if you spent 7 years with unifil you'd have a 14 bar/number on the ribbon?
    5. Commemorative medals have no value they're just meaningless shit to make people feel better about not having enough shiny things on their chest.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• A medal for being on the border? Give over.

There's border Unit's still wearing their medals for being close to the border, it just comes in their payslip.

I want a medal for doing CIT's.

Comment

• Originally posted by goc132 View Post
        I know one cahp from Mullingar that was in UNIFIL on 14 trips.
        He must hate his wife

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
          He must hate his wife
          he likes the one he has in Tibnin

Comment

• Real Jack

The Irish Red Cross & Civil Defence come under the Dept of Defence.
            UK forces get UN medal but after three years overseas they get an Acumilative Service Medal used to be in Sterling Silver and the Brits don't give out medals to easily.
            You never mentioned people wounded from enemy fire at all who are still suffering years later.

Comment

Real Jack

UK forces get UN medal but after three years overseas they get an Acumilative Service Medal used to be in Sterling Silver and the Brits don't give out medals to easily.
              You never mentioned people wounded from enemy fire at all who are still suffering years later.
              The Brits give out medals for their boss's birthday !

Comment

Real Jack

That is an administrative distinction, they do not carry rifles.

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                And the DF awards service medals for x/y years of service, the numbers of medals/numbers on medals indicates approximately how long was spent serving overseas.
                I did, just said fair enough which meant I agree completely, maybe a purple heart type award would be suitable. I'm trying to find out if the Brits have something like that.
                1. Members of the Defence Forces shot and wounded overseas. NO AWARD.
                Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                1. Fair enough

Comment

• In in two minds about awarding the Special Olympics to the DF.

While all are under DOD, RDF got paid!

Comment

• A medal for the special olympics.Get real FFS.
                    There are some guys in the ONE wearing more medals than Idi Amin.Most are ones they applied for.It devalues the medals the rest of us EARNED.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• [QUOTE . There are some guys in the ONE wearing more medals than Idi Amin.Most are ones they applied for.It devalues the medals the rest of us EARNED.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Between IUNVA and the ONE the 'medal' display is an embarrassment and it does devalue earned medals. Some medal wearers have never served overseas!

Comment

• I don't mean to be bashing the ONE, it just that it seems to be overrun with bling seekers. ONE do some good work for ex servicemen with the homes they run & drop in centers and I have no intention of taking away from that. I can't say I know anything about what IUNVA does but they seem to have the same issues that ONE has.

At the end of the day the ONE North korean general impersonators aren't actually hurting anyone and they do provide a bit of light entertainment when you see them!

Comment

• Idi Amin Dada (mid-1920s – 16 August 2003) was the third President of Uganda
                          No 1 medal chaser

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                            Idi Amin Dada (mid-1920s – 16 August 2003) was the third President of Uganda
                            No 1 medal chaser

Comment

• Whatever about your views about Special Olympics or commemerative medals you really have to admit that a medal for service during the troubles has some merit. After all we issued a medal for service during the emergency.

Comment

• Will those recently amnestied get the emergency medal.

Comment

Working...
                                X